Notices

Starting anew

Old 01-08-2021, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting anew

Hi sober and struggling sober friends! I am posting here for accountability, as I’ve been struggling, drinking every other day and unable to string together a good number of sober days. I live alone (with 2 dogs, my only ‘kids’ - ha) so it’s fairly easy for me to ‘get away with drinking’. I am determined today to put down the booze for good (none in the house), to not cave and go out to the liquor store, and to start to truly heal from this disease/malady/whatever. I feel hope today, and I appreciate even just reading the posts here as it at least helps me feel less alone! I also realized that I really play mind games with myself with regards to quitting drinking. I have this crazy habit of drinking to excess the day before the recycling goes out (Wed) and saying to my sick mind - ok now the bin is empty and I can start fresh! Then the next day I go out and get another bottle, and say ‘well I can have THIS last one, then throw it away in the regular garbage on Thurs’. Which also does not work! It’s funny and I have to laugh at myself, but why do we always have to start on the ‘perfect’ square or day? I also have found that when I beat myself up and berate myself for not being sober, it feels horrible and then I tend to drink to numb that pain. My plan is to try and be more gentle with myself, to take it slow one day at a time and try not to project far into the future.

Well, just writing this out in the open and admitting my failures and hopes is helpful in itself! Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Amy
Old 01-08-2021, 04:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Amy1 View Post
Hi sober and struggling sober friends! I am posting here for accountability, as I’ve been struggling, drinking every other day and unable to string together a good number of sober days. I live alone (with 2 dogs, my only ‘kids’ - ha) so it’s fairly easy for me to ‘get away with drinking’. I am determined today to put down the booze for good (none in the house), to not cave and go out to the liquor store, and to start to truly heal from this disease/malady/whatever. I feel hope today, and I appreciate even just reading the posts here as it at least helps me feel less alone! I also realized that I really play mind games with myself with regards to quitting drinking. I have this crazy habit of drinking to excess the day before the recycling goes out (Wed) and saying to my sick mind - ok now the bin is empty and I can start fresh! Then the next day I go out and get another bottle, and say ‘well I can have THIS last one, then throw it away in the regular garbage on Thurs’. Which also does not work! It’s funny and I have to laugh at myself, but why do we always have to start on the ‘perfect’ square or day? I also have found that when I beat myself up and berate myself for not being sober, it feels horrible and then I tend to drink to numb that pain. My plan is to try and be more gentle with myself, to take it slow one day at a time and try not to project far into the future.

Well, just writing this out in the open and admitting my failures and hopes is helpful in itself! Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Amy
Hey Amy, welcome!

I am exactly the same way and with you 100% on being a perfectionist. I think that's why my sobriety date of January 1st is so important to me. It feeds into my OCD ways. I have a very hard time with keeping the mindset of one day at a time, but you're absolutely right that we have to be easy on ourselves. I agree with you. Working on it myself...

Feel free to join us in January class/group! We'd love to see ya there!
Old 01-08-2021, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One day at a time is how we are all getting through.

Keep coming here every day.

I found that posting in my Class of March thread I was giving myself a daily reminder of my commitment. Maybe you could plug in to one of the ongoing threads.

Here's a couple:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-67-a.html (One Year And Under Club Part 67)

In early days I began to eat well and get daily exercise. I was also going to AA meetings in the first few months and they gave me a good foundation. I think most meetings are online now, maybe you could visit a few of them and listen to people in recovery. There are a few different recovery methods - not just AA. There are also a lot of recovery podcasts. I like "This Naked Mind."
Old 01-08-2021, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I played those mind games with myself for many years! I finally got it right with the help of SR. I hope you will do the same. Best wishes!
Old 01-08-2021, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Amy. You got this friend. I am sober and have been for a while so ANYONE can do it is the only thing that proves. Are you still drinking? Can today be Day 1? We have a great weekend in front of us. Can you spend it getting the first few tough days under your belt? Hit Monday on Day 4? Get out and walk and walk and walk. Do those doggies like to walk? Give them all they want. Stay busy and early on, write down a schedule for each day for each moment you are awake. It is just a tool to get you to visualize something else to do besides drinking. Post over the weekend and let us know how you are doing.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! Walking sounds like a great plan and I will stay close to this forum
Old 01-08-2021, 06:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Amy. I get it, been there except I have 2 cats. The lockdown made it easier, I didn't have to get up and drive in the morning so my.morning after dizziness wasn't a factor. It isn't easy but fir me, this time feels different. I'm not alone anymore, but still....keep coming back
Old 01-08-2021, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Amy. I do the same thing with quit dates, it is a manifestation of OCD and perfectionism as mentioned by others. Mine has gotten really ridiculous at times (imagine a quit date that is also a mathematical equation, lol..) Anyway, I also have the same situation of living alone so there is no real accountability, so easy to just go to the store and buy beer or wine if I want. I would generally drink 3-4 nights a week, not heavily but enough to destroy my sleep and increase my anxiety.

This is why being a part of SR helps so much, and especially - joining a class. That is how I was able to achieve my 3+ year sobriety which I unfortunately gave up up but am working on again. My long term sobriety was COMPLETELY 100% due to the accountability, support and insights that I gained here on SR, as well as the daily sharing and helping of others. When we do that it helps us too.

Stay with us and keep after it, the benefits are amazing!
Old 01-08-2021, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Amy

Denial is a huge part of alcoholism and, like you, I'd repeatedly convince myself I'd stop and then talk myself out of it. And, oh yes, the shame and guilt are so hard to live with. But, you can stop all that today and I know you will find lots of support here.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amy1 View Post
I also realized that I really play mind games with myself with regards to quitting drinking. I have this crazy habit of drinking to excess the day before the recycling goes out (Wed) and saying to my sick mind - ok now the bin is empty and I can start fresh! Then the next day I go out and get another bottle, and say ‘well I can have THIS last one, then throw it away in the regular garbage on Thurs’. Which also does not work! It’s funny and I have to laugh at myself, but why do we always have to start on the ‘perfect’ square or day?
I just checked in to say this sounds very familiar, and this comes from a marijuana addict with no real history with alcohol. I used to do this all the time, in my own way. I always used to finish my joint in the evening, so that I wouldn’t have half a joint in the ashtray the next day. And I reasoned that I would smoke it, so I couldn’t smoke it tomorrow. It was all for a good cause. It would make the quitting much easier the next day, I told myself. The next day...well you can guess. It just shows this is addict’s behaviours, I think it happens with all substances.

What it comes down to -at least that’s what I made of it- is we reason ourself into using for a “good cause” because that will be the only way we can quit tomorrow. The farther away I planned my quitting, the more resolved I was. The nearer the quitting point came, the shakier I got. Many times I had (or thought I had) good reasons to smoke that particular evening, and it always came with a promise to myself not to do it next time. Maybe it’s some sort of system that allows us to use our DOC without too much guilt. Yeah I might be using now, but I am quitting tomorrow so let’s enjoy it to the fullest.

I hope I am making sense. Although I’m quite capable in the English languague, it’s at times like this that I have a hard time writing down my thoughts, especially compacting them to a few sentences.

To conclude things: I wish you the very best!
Old 01-08-2021, 12:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's a really great feeling to hear the garbage truck arrive and not to hear a single 'clink' come from my bin as it is emptied.

I get proud.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And you have every right to be so. Awesome
Old 01-08-2021, 01:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That is so hilarious Steely. It used to sound like I had a friggin recycling center in front of my flat when my bottles would get picked up. LOL!!!
Old 01-08-2021, 01:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back Amy

I was a champion rationaliser too. I could quit in the morning, having finished a carton or a box of wine or whatever...and be running down to the Liquor store five minutes later.

Finding and consistently using the support and ideas here helped me change that. Post as often as you need to, post instead of rationalising that next bottle. Check out the threads Bim linked to.

It all really can make a difference

D
Old 01-08-2021, 06:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Dee! 🙏
Old 01-08-2021, 07:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hello Amy,
mindgames are just par for the course!
great you are recognizing them, and don’t be surprised if you discover some more
As for why do we always have to start on the perfect square or day? my guess is firstly: because we don’t want to quit right now,ha! and, secondly, because the idea of this perfect date is appealing to the “fresh start” liking of many of our brains.
when we look forward.
when we look back on things, however, it becomes more apparent that whatever day we finally did it, THAT was the perfect square, the perfect day, the bestest freshest start
Old 01-09-2021, 04:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

welcome !
Old 01-10-2021, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

how are you doing, Amy?
Old 01-10-2021, 07:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How did your weekend go dearest Amy? I hope you spent it sober, but if you didn't, you'll get on top of this.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you for checking in on me and yes, I’m so happy and grateful to report I spent it sober! 🙏. I’m starting day 4 today ❤️