Notices

Drank last night

Old 01-07-2021, 11:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drank last night

In my dream! It was horrific. I actually woke up feeling very ashamed, in the dream I was justifying not having to reset my day count. It felt so, so real. When I woke up, I of course felt relief but also shame! How foolish! It was a dream, nothing I can control. Still, it’s now day 11 for me! Feeling extremely positive and in very high spirits. Let’s keep it up!

Question: does anybody else find their natural sleep pattern changes rather abruptly when they get into the sober swing of things? I find myself exhausted by 9/10pm and am waking up every day between 6/6.30. Also, when I feel very tired, it almost feels as though I’m drunk! Is this just me being weird, or more specifically, my body? Anyway, small price to pay for rapidly waning anxiety and zero depression.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not really a big fan of these clickbait thread titles.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ha-ha! I did chuckle.

I still have drinking dreams, - in the last one I recall actually wondering WHY I had decided to drink while drinking in my dream. It was bizarre, like I knew I was getting no pleasure out of it either.

I slept a lot the first few weeks of sobriety. I did also start to go to bed very early, like you. And often would have to nap, out of nowhere. The body needed a lot of healing.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it was only a dream TheAten - drinking dreams are pretty common but they will fade in time.

Sleep patterns will fall back into a natural rhythm too, altho things can change - I used to stay up well in to the wee hours but I'm in bed pretty early these days.

Originally Posted by Thrillhou View Post
Not really a big fan of these clickbait thread titles.
Not your fault cos you're new TheAten....but yeah generally the community here frowns on those kinds of misleading thread titles.

Some folks here have seen way too many real relapses to find any humour in it, y'know?

D
Old 01-08-2021, 12:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad it was only a dream TheAten - drinking dreams are pretty common but they will fade in time.

Sleep patterns will fall back into a natural rhythm too, altho things can change - I used to stay up well in to the wee hours but I'm in bed pretty early these days.

Not your fault cos you're new TheAten....but yeah generally the community here frowns on those kinds of misleading thread titles.

Some folks here have seen way too many real relapses to find any humour in it, y'know?

D
oh, apologies! Just I’d seen a couple like it before and I guess I jumped on the band wagon! I’ll know for next time 🙂
Old 01-08-2021, 01:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks TheAten

D
Old 01-08-2021, 03:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've had a few drinking dreams, but also dreams involving where I hid the bottles.

I've been sleeping a ton, so much in fact that my dad was getting concerned with how much I was sleeping. I've been going to sleep very early(sometimes around 7-7:30) but I also wake up early as well. There isn't anything happening right now that's keeping my interest past dinner time. I take some melatonin and then go to sleep. I actually enjoy waking up early right now, drinking coffee, and enjoying peace and quiet.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well that was a rather unfortunate title.

Drinking dreams...I think I had a couple. The brain is weird, even when I'm awake it sometimes tells me that a drink is a good idea. Luckily I myself know better.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheAten View Post
Question: does anybody else find their natural sleep pattern changes rather abruptly when they get into the sober swing of things? I find myself exhausted by 9/10pm and am waking up every day between 6/6.30. Also, when I feel very tired, it almost feels as though I’m drunk! Is this just me being weird, or more specifically, my body? Anyway, small price to pay for rapidly waning anxiety and zero depression.
Absolutely!!!

In fact, one thing I'm REALLY looking forward to is getting back to that place with sleep. I had it really working well for several years, then made the mistake of figuring that with cannabis I could moderate and a year later, my sleep was all over the place again. Now, as I'm working to leave cannabis behind with alcohol where it belongs, I'm struggling with waking up at 2 or 3 am, insomnia, fitful sleep, feeling unrested no matter how much I sleep.

So I think that's a very normal part of the recovery process!

Have a great day.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I began saturating my life with recovery, all
the tools and knowledge taught to me and incorporated
in all areas of my life, my dreams reflect that.

It's pretty amazing when I get up remembering a dream
helping someone in recovery, or standing strong and
responsible in my own recovery life, telling someone
no thank you, I don't want a drink and don't drink alcohol
anymore, confirms and reflects how my recovery program
is covering me even in my sleep.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to all who replied - this is all a very interesting journey, isn’t it? My face looks different as well - like I’ve lost about ten pounds of weight! My eyes seem to sparkle again. Sleeping well, great skin, clear eyes - after ten days! Can’t wait to see how I’ll be in ten weeks, ten months... dare I say, ten years!

Once again, apologies for the title. It wasn’t intentionally unkind or prompting. Thoughtless, yes. Anyway, I’ve apologised twice now, so I’ll leave it there 😊
Old 01-08-2021, 05:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ya, those stinkin' dreams. Mine have definitely faded in frequency over time, but the last one I had a couple weeks ago was one of the most vivid and emotional ones. I woke up very relieved that it was just a dream but very disturbed also. It really is a reminder of the pain that waits for us on the other side if we slip up. So, in that respect, although a little disturbing, they are positive.

SC
Old 01-08-2021, 05:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had some drinking dreams TheAten. Very odd sensation upon waking, no doubt. As far as sleep goes, it seems from what I read here on SR it is one of the last bodily functions to return to "normal" after we get sober and are in recovery. Well over a year in I still don't sleep very well and one night per week, I might not sleep at all. But if you are sleeping 10'ish to 6'ish, that sounds heavenly to me. I wouldn't consider that a disrupted sleep pattern. I'd consider that sleep. Anyway, I really don't worry about sleep. At 3 a.m. on a sleepless night I lie there happy and content in the knowledge that when the sun comes up, I might be tired, but I'll be just fine and at peace.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Most of my dreams are about the people I cared about that I lost due to this addiction. Sad, but true.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
I had some drinking dreams TheAten. Very odd sensation upon waking, no doubt. As far as sleep goes, it seems from what I read here on SR it is one of the last bodily functions to return to "normal" after we get sober and are in recovery. Well over a year in I still don't sleep very well and one night per week, I might not sleep at all. But if you are sleeping 10'ish to 6'ish, that sounds heavenly to me. I wouldn't consider that a disrupted sleep pattern. I'd consider that sleep. Anyway, I really don't worry about sleep. At 3 a.m. on a sleepless night I lie there happy and content in the knowledge that when the sun comes up, I might be tired, but I'll be just fine and at peace.
Oh no, it’s not that I consider it disrupted - what I meant by that was, whilst drinking, I could easily be awake all night and well into the next day, before “passing out” rather than sleeping. This could be for 12 hours, 16 hours, or 4 hours; there was no rhyme or reason. The sleeping pattern I’ve naturally fallen into now is, as you say, heavenly. I also sleep right through without disturbance. When I wake at 6ish, it’s a natural wake, and it feels so great. You’re also quite right that knowing you’ll wake up with no regrets and no hangover is an amazing feeling, whether on 5 hours or 5 minutes of sleep!
Old 01-08-2021, 06:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have had these as well. I had these dreams when I was still drinking, too. That drove me further into drinking! What I lost through drink I lamented through drink. Crazy.

Also, I’m not able to directly reply to all messages as I’m receiving a message telling me I’ve not posted enough yet. But sometimes it allows me to quote! Never mind. Only four more replies to go apparently haha 😊

Old 01-08-2021, 07:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

LOL! Thanks for the laugh.

Sleep has been interesting for me. I am asleep by 9pm or a little earlier and wake up at 4:30 am or a little later.
Early morning quiet time is something I really look forward to. It keeps me centered.

Great Work on your sober days! Keep moving forward.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know the feeling. Thank you! The community here is something in these very early days I’m checking in on almost religiously every hour or whenever I feel I need it, really. Really grateful to you and everyone

Old 01-08-2021, 06:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Samantha

Ugh I hate the drinking dreams, but at least it was just a dream!!
Old 01-09-2021, 04:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I take melatonin to aid my sleeping and that generally gives me crazy dreams.