SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   The quality of experience (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/451621-quality-experience.html)

lessgravity 01-06-2021 11:22 AM

The quality of experience

Our lives are short, seasons pass in the length of an afternoon. All the people we love, our children, our parents, hang on by the thinest of threads to this life. I was recently quarantined with my children, two girls who are both less than two, a teenage boy - and I was struck by how long the days sometimes feel but how quickly these moments pass through my fingers, try as I might to hold onto them.

Sobriety is the ultimate gift. Above everything else I have done in my life - my physical fitness, my career, experiences, friendships etc - nothing has improved the quality of my life's experience in the ways that sobriety has. It has given me the most precious of all things - time. In thrall to the bottle is a waste of so many things - but a waste of your life's time most of all. There is nothing more meaningful that I can give to my kids, my wife, my self than presence. My ability to be present has improved and deepened and grown more expansive in sobriety. Nothing matters more, really.

The work that it took to get here, the changes and the adjustments - all more than worth it. Grateful.

Dee74 01-06-2021 11:25 AM

Thanks for sharing this Less. Totally agree.

D

PuckLuck 01-06-2021 11:37 AM

The wasted time, wasted relationships and wasted opportunities are the hardest to cope with...

brighterday1234 01-06-2021 11:41 AM

Thanks for a great post. Sobriety is a true gift and can be full of precious memories each day; peace of mind being a true blessing 🙏

Steely 01-06-2021 11:44 AM

It's all about the Time. 🌺

A great post LessGravity.

Dee74 01-06-2021 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by PuckLuck (Post 7570742)
The wasted time, wasted relationships and wasted opportunities are the hardest to cope with...

L.P. Hartley — 'The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.'

its hard, but I learned I can get stuck regretting the past - and let more days slip by me - or I can treasure the days I have now.

The past is done. Can’t be changed. But today and tomorrow- blank pages full of promise, man :)

D

ScottFromWI 01-06-2021 02:09 PM

Great post LG and I would agree 100% about the precious things that sobriety gives us back. The self-awareness that comes along with it also helps me see other areas in my life where I may not be putting my full effort into what is important. And yes....time is our most precious resource - I learned that even more over the last year than ever before in my life. I've been away from here for a while but I've known you here for many years, and I have to say I'm very happy to hear that you are sober - peace to you and your family.

Sohard 01-06-2021 02:19 PM

This is beautifully stated. Thank you for writing and sharing this.

Gettingcloser 01-06-2021 05:14 PM

Awesome post, Less, and so very true!

Zencat 01-06-2021 06:28 PM

Thanks LessG

Reminds me of the slogan: :)You can only keep what you have by giving it away.:)

WhiskeyBent 01-06-2021 06:37 PM

So eloquently written. ....thank you

tursiops999 01-06-2021 08:16 PM

I so agree, LG. In sobriety I feel I am really living, and experiencing each moment with a vivid awareness. It is such a precious gift.

EndGameNYC 01-06-2021 09:39 PM

My life goes by in a flash. A succession of split seconds. Summer days lasted longer when I was a child and then a younger man. I've been very fortunate.

Thanks for your heartening thoughts, lg.

MythOfSisyphus 01-06-2021 10:26 PM

It's like Rush once sang:

Summer's going fast
Nights growing colder
Children growing up
Old friends growing older

Freeze this moment
A little bit longer
Make each sensation
A little bit stronger

Experience slips away
Experience slips away
The innocence slips away

RAL 01-07-2021 01:23 AM

Great post Less :thanks

FreeOwl 01-07-2021 04:07 AM

Yes!!

Surrendered19 01-07-2021 04:27 AM

Beautiful post lessgravity. All well-said. In my mid-50's, I finally know what it is to live a peaceful and meaningful life. This last year has been at times terrifying but in many ways, so beautiful. My sobriety is everything. Being sober and healthy allowed me to survive a case of COVID that tried to kill me, allowed me to be present every single day for my daughters, through a pandemic, through riots that were in sight of our home, I would not have been able to survive any of it with my kids if I had been drunk. But sober, we thrived together. Life is not perfect, but my thoughts are quiet and peaceful.

Scott2295 01-07-2021 04:39 AM

Love this post. Thank You!

Robbie64 01-07-2021 05:21 AM

Thanks for your beautiful and thoughtful post lessgravity.

phoebe64 01-07-2021 05:30 AM

This is a so true, and motivating. Thank you.