Notices

Non alcoholic wine?

Old 01-04-2021, 01:17 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
nez

Raeven for pot roast instead of 1/2 cup of red wine, a good sub is to pour 1/2 cup of boiling water over a *black tea bag, let steep, remove tea bag and stir in 1 teaspoon unsweetened cranberry juice, use in your pot roast...for chicken deglaze sauce instead of white wine, use use white grape juice with squeeze of fresh lemon juice

*black tea will provide the tannins of red wine
Old 01-04-2021, 01:52 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

When I first got serious about getting sober more than a decade ago it was really difficult for me to go out for dinner without having a drink, and I was dating someone who did drink. I found that the alcohol free beers like Kaliber and a couple others helped me in that situation by making me feel comfortable in a nice restaurant.. But yes the taste is not very good. Now I can't imagine having one. I generally have a tonic water and lime when I'm out and at home just fruit juice or a lime mixed with sparkling water in the evening. Tastes delicious!
Old 01-04-2021, 02:25 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Non alcoholic wine is for non alcoholics.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:42 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Raeven for pot roast instead of 1/2 cup of red wine, a good sub is to pour 1/2 cup of boiling water over a *black tea bag, let steep, remove tea bag and stir in 1 teaspoon unsweetened cranberry juice, use in your pot roast...for chicken deglaze sauce instead of white wine, use use white grape juice with squeeze of fresh lemon juice

*black tea will provide the tannins of red wine
great tips !!!!
Old 01-04-2021, 02:59 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Non alcoholic wine is for non alcoholics.
Great. I’m cured then
Old 01-04-2021, 04:45 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raeven58 View Post
can't have caffeine in the evening, but I do sip diet sprite.
I just enjoy the relax time, need to.find a new way to wind down, except now that I'm retired I do have different stress... I learned to appreciate fine crystal and ritual while traveling.

Was hoping the faux wine would work in cooking.. I used wine in several recipes, added flavor and the alcohol cooks off,, but I can't buy for cooking without the leftover mocking me.

Thank you all,, wailing everyone safe and healthy 2021. We are all dealing with unusual stressers.
I'm not sure if you can buy them wherever you are (Im in the UK) but I use Oxo red wine stock pots in cooking. They have "dealcoholised red wine extract" so no alcohol, and you don't have to have the temptation of wine. I use them frequently for stews, pasta sauces, soups and all sorts, they add a nice richness.

Personally zero alcohol drinks aren't for me. I drank to get drunk, not because I liked the taste (even though I convinced myself I did). I also gave up my 4 a day diet coke addiction and sugar / artificial sweetener drinks so I now just drink naturally flavoured water and decaf hot drinks. Like others though, I don't get stressed about alcohol in food really - I had a very boozy tasting Christmas cake! But I wouldn't go out of my way to buy boozy things to put in food.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:57 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty View Post
I'm not sure if you can buy them wherever you are (Im in the UK) but I use Oxo red wine stock pots in cooking. They have "dealcoholised red wine extract" so no alcohol, and you don't have to have the temptation of wine. I use them frequently for stews, pasta sauces, soups and all sorts, they add a nice
thasks, looked up the stock, no luck, but ill keep trying.
can't do sugar drinks, so it's never been an issue, 1 diet soda a day limit. But love my lavender blueberry tea in the evening.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:58 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
I have an aunt who was a really bad alcoholic. She went to rehab about 10 years ago and now drinks zero alcohol beer all the time. It's obviously working for her. My mother always has some on hand for when she drops by.

I tried non-alcoholic wine in a previous quit but hated the taste. So I rationalized by going back to regular wine but with moderation. I would fill the bottle with wine to the label and the rest water. Of course, that was a waste of energy as I ended up going past the label and eventually said F it went full on. Water + wine was just a tease!

My husband drinks .5% beer in the early evening and then usually finishes off with a real beer. He wont admit it, but I think he's an alcoholic because he's always trying to moderate. So in this case I'm grateful for the .5% beer. Wouldn't dare touch it myself.

This quit (i'm a year in), I drank a ton of home-made concoctions. Pinapple juice over ice with gingerale is awesome (got it from another poster). It killed my cravings and satisfied the hand-to-mouth/swallowing part of the addiction....while my body detoxed. I can't figure out if there's any difference between me doing that and having non-alcoholic wine?? Either way, I feel like buying fake wine might be taking a bit to far...for me.
Ooh that sounds delicious the pineapple juice over ice with ginger ale... Must try.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:20 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

@Raeven just re. cooking, I do use NA red wine for that and find it works well. I find it keeps fairly well too. I don’t do a lot of cooking with it, but it does seem a good enough substitute - still can’t bring myself to drink it though.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:20 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

My take is that it could be dangerous in very early sobriety. I started drinking NA beer, I'm talking the 0.0% stuff, about 6 months sober. I was doing a lot of work outside in the summer time and a beer sounded good, for the taste. I haven't really had problems with it, but I know it can be a trigger for others. I haven't tried NA wine, so I can't speak on that.

The non-alcoholic drink industry is really taking off. There are some really good 0.0% craft 'beers' on the market. I don't have these too often, but it's interesting to try new things for me.

Bottom line, tread carefully, but do what works for you.

SC
Old 01-05-2021, 09:36 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuficintCrlsns View Post
My take is that it could be dangerous in very early sobriety. I started drinking NA beer, I'm talking the 0.0% stuff, about 6 months sober...
Bottom line, tread carefully, but do what works for you.

SC
Wise words at the end. Several have addressed na beer, unfortunately/fortunately (?) I don't like beer. Had it a few times as a teen, not since., that is several decades.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:03 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol is not totally cooked out of foods:

niaa alcohol cook off chart - Bing images
Old 01-06-2021, 04:22 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Samantha

I think its personal, but it does nothing for me. I can see using it to cook, though. A lot of good recipes call for wine.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:47 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I think its personal, but it does nothing for me. I can see using it to cook, though. A lot of good recipes call for wine.
I like cooking a lot haha
Old 01-13-2021, 02:44 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Tried some. Not hideous, somewhere between grape juice and watery wine, but I can see where it might be tempting. I'll keep it for cooking