Notices

Good news and worries

Old 01-03-2021, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good news and worries

I got into grad school! I’m so excited and a bit proud that I actually took some moves in this direction—it’s something I’m passionate about and am doing just for myself and can take anywhere.

I’m also terrified. I have been out of academics for almost a decade and I’m still struggling with my memory and brain fog in sobriety. I have had a few mini relapses and I’m worried that the added stress of school and not feeling smart/capable enough plus raising a young child plus pandemic stuff plus all the trauma work I’m doing right now is going to be a bit much. I’m looking forward to using my brain again; I really do tend to do a lot better when I have concrete goals and deadlines. My imposter syndrome is flaring and I’m worried. I was a great student and I feel like I frittered away all of my brain cells and motivation.

any advice? Idk what I need right now but y’all are my people and I figure at least a couple of you have been here.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi PK. I went back to uni last year and graduated this year. Very odd being the oldest there! But good for you for making this move, it shows real guts and vision! Congrats for getting in!!

what are you going to study if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-03-2021, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Super Cool to take this step forward! Something you should be really proud of.

I hear a lot of anxiety in your post. I tend to think of ALL the things as well.

What I can say for certain (and I need to remember this when I get anxious) is that all the future stuff will work itself out. There really is nothing you have to do right now other than take the next step. What is the next step for today?
Old 01-03-2021, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have never done anything like that but I am sure proud of you for your go-getter attitude! Best wishes!
Old 01-03-2021, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prettiekittie, congratulations on getting into grad school. I hope you do really well. I think it's inevitable that you will nervous going back to school after 10 years, but I'm sure things will go well once you begin. Look at it this way, you're older, more experienced, sober and probably smarter than you were ten years ago. Follow your dream.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful news, PK. I agree with Anna - you're more experienced, sober & smarter now! Great way to look at it. I predict you'll do a smashing job of it.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
Hi PK. I went back to uni last year and graduated this year. Very odd being the oldest there! But good for you for making this move, it shows real guts and vision! Congrats for getting in!!

what are you going to study if you don't mind me asking?
thanks!

I’m going back to become a therapist. I think a big part of my imposter syndrome is attached to that in particular because I have struggled with anxiety, depression and substance use disorder. I just try to remind myself that those experiences likely inform why I want to help and why I’m drawn to that field but it’s still hard.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How exciting! You can do it!

I went back and got my graduate degree through an executive program, at age 42-43, it was so much more meaningful in the middle of a career than when you're young and have no practical experience to apply. It was a lot to handle with my career and travel but the learning was great and relevant to my job.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Exciting new steps for you. Congratulations. I understand your concern, remember you got accepted so you already did something not everyone can, you're here, also important. I got my BS at 36, before online options. Did it at night, working 2 jobs. Graduated SCL. Just kept reminding myself to.do my best and it would be what it was.

Best wishes
Old 01-03-2021, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Wow, that's great! Sounds really interesting, and I'm sure you'll nail it. I went back to school after working 25 years as a teacher, and it turned out that my age was a great asset. Not only did I get an A, I learned heaps of stuff and most important of all, I learned a lot about myself.

I'm rooting for you! You can do it!!!
Old 01-03-2021, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on being accepted!

Grad school can be tough but if I can do it anyone can. My one piece of advice is don’t put off work cos it will pile up on you.

Same goes for recovery...reach out for help if you need it, as soon as you can, and you’ll be ok.

I wish I could say I was sober through grad school but I wasn’t even identifying as an alcoholic then. Without a doubt my drinking made the going harder for me. The folks who didn’t drink were the most relaxed in my year.

D
Old 01-03-2021, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is great news PrettieKittie. You'll be a great therapist. Don't worry about feeling like an imposter. I think all people with jobs that come with responsibility or obligation deal with some feelings of not belonging and being an imposter. But my humble opinion is that those feelings make them pay attention to their responsibilities and strive to be as good as they can be. Trust me - you belong in that graduate program and in the therapy profession JUST AS MUCH as anyone else. Your own humility on the topic will make you an even better therapist.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

And yes I felt like an imposter too but I got a first class degree even with all the time I spent in the RecClub. You’ll be fine PK

D