Notices

Help

Old 01-03-2021, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

I feel like I have a problem drinking on Friday and Saturday every weekend. I only have about three or four drinks, but I
can’t stop it. I don’t think about it all week until Friday.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Erica375

Welcome, Rob! Stick around here, read some posts, ask us for support when you're feeling weak. Check out the Weekenders thread.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Rob,

You've come to the right place for help. Many (most? all?) of us started worrying right when you did. I know for sure that's when I started being concerned about my drinking, and it took me another 30+ years to figure out that the only solution to that was to stop drinking entirely. Believe me, it never got better - only worse. Even when I stopped drinking entirely for months at a time without effort - every time I went back to it, the problem progressed.

The good news is that you can stop it. It's not easy, but it's pretty simple.
For me, that means I don't ever drink now. Keeping the "now" in the equation is one of the things that helped me most. I can do anything I set my mind to if it's only for a moment. And all we have at any given time is the moment that is now. I'm not gonna lie - it was hard and I did plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth in the early days. But it gets better. I promise.

O
Old 01-03-2021, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome RobA. SR is a great place to talk about things like that. All you really need to know is that alcohol is causing you some problems and, in your case, the size of the problem is likely still very manageable. I think you are really wise to have recognized that you might be one of us, the kind of person who cannot reliably control our intake of booze. It is no sin or moral shortcoming. It is borne out of many factors - many of them physiological - and in our collective experience, it is a progressive situation - it will continue to worsen.

But here you are and I am so happy for you that you have the foresight to address the role of alcohol in your life now. I hope you keep posting and tell us how things are going.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rob, Welcome! You have found the right place! Stick around and read some. Sounds like you are early in your journey to all of this so you will have a lot to learn. I hope you are also early in this disease. Quit now and save yourself a lot of heartache. If you want to know what the heartache is that I am referring to read around for a while. I hope you quit this poison.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Heya Rob, welcome to SR.

I was drinking 3-4 glasses of wine a night. I had been concerned about my drinking for awhile as I could see it was slowly progressing. I had hoped that it would progress slowly enough that I didn't have to quit. Then one night camping with friends, I drank so much I passed out. I considered how much further I wanted to go down the drinking road and decided that I didn't want to go any further. It was too risky just to hope that it wouldn't get much worse. I quit.

It has been 2 years and 5 months. Actually my life hasn't changed that much; however I'm certain that I changed my future life. I know I'm one of the lucky ones who quit before it got too bad. This is thanks to all the folks who have chronicled what it was like further down the drinking road. I hope you get to be one of the lucky ones too.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Rob. I started like that. You’re wise to be worried about it and to do something about it.
Try for a non drinking Friday this week. We’re here for support.

D
Old 01-03-2021, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rob, Not being able to stop drinking when you want (and need) to is worrisome. I'm glad you're here seeking information and support.