Notices

I'll keep this brief

Old 01-04-2021, 10:27 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know folks like to lighten the mood but I’m not sure it’s warranted in this thread guys.
There’s some pretty awesome sharing going on - let’s not dick with that.

D
Sorry just seen this after I replied. 🙊 Apologies
Old 01-04-2021, 11:36 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
My great fear is that the closure of barbers and hairdressers might cause the return of the mullet - something that was long thought to be extinct. This would cause alarm and distress to an unwary public, especially those under 30 who have never had to live through such a harrowing experience.
I'm a hairdresser, salons only closed for a month where I live. Mullets have been making a comeback for quite a while here before the pandemic. Same thing with mom jeans, white dad sneakers, white socks pulled up over leggings like they're on their way to jazzercise, shag haircuts, scrunchies on the wrist, birkenstocks, etc. I cut a few mullets before I quit.

Some people look straight out of the early 90's but then I see the KFC potato wedge shaped eyebrows and I don't remember those being in style when I was a kid.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:15 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Pretty intriguing thread. Lots of very interesting posts from everyone.

As I said earlier, I don't have much to complain about. That being said, I go frickin cross-eyed when told what I can and can't do within reason. I know I can't punch someone or rob a bank, but there are certain things I feel are up to me, and me only. So I did some whining and got it off my chest.

I should only concern myself with those things I can control, everything else is noise. So that's what I'm doing and it takes a lot of pressure off of me.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:01 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good thought process Thomas!
Old 01-07-2021, 05:18 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are feeling better Jeff.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:21 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

"I'm a hairdresser, salons only closed for a month where I live. Mullets have been making a comeback for quite a while here before the pandemic. Same thing with mom jeans, white dad sneakers, white socks pulled up over leggings like they're on their way to jazzercise, shag haircuts, scrunchies on the wrist, birkenstocks, etc. I cut a few mullets before I quit.

Some people look straight out of the early 90's but then I see the KFC potato wedge shaped eyebrows and I don't remember those being in style when I was a kid."

Great. As though things weren't bad enough. Now the 80's are coming back :O
Old 01-08-2021, 12:47 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I'm concerned about your state of mind now, man. This anger and looking outside of yourself for things to rail against has proven to be toxic time and time again. Same as it has been with me, and at the bottom of all of that what I found was a whole world of hurt and fear. This isn't a new refrain from me to you, but I'm going to sing it again: please, please consider finding yourself a counselor with whom you can really connect. You have lots of reasons to be in a whole lot of pain, but there is a way out of there. You are worth it, you deserve it, and I know you're strong enough to get there because you've done an amazing job getting yourself sober again. Plus, you put aside your pride to get a job that's less than ideal and you're being just a decent all-around Joe.

Do the harder thing. I care. We care.

Thats very good advice. When I started working with a counsellor, I got to the core of where my pain/fear lies. It was difficult but after exploring it, crying about it and talking about it, I feel like a new person. It’s like pulling the weed out from the root. I highly recommend anyone, not just alcs, to seek therapy if they have issues. Short term pain for long term gain!

Old 01-08-2021, 06:51 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Must agree with TheAten. This is a pattern for you and until you get to the bottom of it, you are at risk of relapse. That said, very well done on the job and your continued sobriety Jeff!
Old 01-08-2021, 07:36 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Pretty intriguing thread. Lots of very interesting posts from everyone.

As I said earlier, I don't have much to complain about. That being said, I go frickin cross-eyed when told what I can and can't do within reason. I know I can't punch someone or rob a bank, but there are certain things I feel are up to me, and me only. So I did some whining and got it off my chest.

I should only concern myself with those things I can control, everything else is noise. So that's what I'm doing and it takes a lot of pressure off of me.
Good for you, Thomas...or Jeff!
Last year was a year to put down in the history books. No one likes what is going on. Its all been a bit maddening. We will get through this. You will get through this. Next best step forward. Keep posting.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:33 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Must agree with TheAten. This is a pattern for you and until you get to the bottom of it, you are at risk of relapse. That said, very well done on the job and your continued sobriety Jeff!
I'm pretty safe right now, things are good. But yes, I've lived most of my life teetering on the edge of disaster. Maybe I'm an adrenaline junkie.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:35 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
Good for you, Thomas...or Jeff!
Last year was a year to put down in the history books. No one likes what is going on. Its all been a bit maddening. We will get through this. You will get through this. Next best step forward. Keep posting.
Great response, I think one of the best things we can do is stick together and be positive. That positive energy and attitude is contagious.

I believe its when we feel alone is when we can spiral.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:01 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I believe its when we feel alone is when we can spiral.
I don't know if community is exactly a cure for spiraling but for me it sure has been a good solid handhold keeping me clinging to the edge during tough times. Sometimes clinging to the edge is doing damn well in certain circumstances.

Next right step. Just keep going. Get through the next 15 min . . . . these are all ideas I work on that help keep me in the moment and focused on my own side of the street.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:58 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
I don't know if community is exactly a cure for spiraling but for me it sure has been a good solid handhold keeping me clinging to the edge during tough times. Sometimes clinging to the edge is doing damn well in certain circumstances.

Next right step. Just keep going. Get through the next 15 min . . . . these are all ideas I work on that help keep me in the moment and focused on my own side of the street.
Everyone's journey is different. None are right or wrong in my opinion. On my end, I think attitude and perspective are everything. Attitude is pretty easy, perspective is different. How much perspective do you have if you have lived a sheltered life? Not much really. I work with people who have none. They have had their rather cushy job for 30 years. They don't know what its like to have a million in the bank one day and a few years later have a Sheriff show up and serve you your auction papers on your home (which is published in the local papers by the way). Then again, I don't have perspective on divorce or troubled kids. What's the answer? I don't know, I can just tell you I gather as much info as possible and try to "walk a mile on their shoes" before I do anything or pass any judgement.

Last things I will say which is totally unrelated to this post....if you think you have a problem with alcohol or drugs and you are here. You probably do. That's where I got started on my journey.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:35 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

why are you being so defensive Jeff?

Noone asking you to answer anything you don't want to answer and I don't really think, of those who've queried you, anyones saying anything more than they are a little worried for you. Having others care for your welfare is a good thing.

By your own retelling you lived a certain way of life once.
That doesn't make you necessarily any better than the rest of us...but neither does it make you any worse, bud.

D
Old 01-09-2021, 04:04 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

why are you being so defensive Jeff?

Noone asking you to answer anything you don't want to answer and I don't really think, of those who've queried you, anyones saying anything more than they are a little worried for you. Having others care for your welfare is a good thing.

By your own retelling you lived a certain way of life once.
That doesn't make you necessarily any better than the rest of us...but neither does it make you any worse, bud.

D

Dee, your statement above is what i was trying to get across, but obviously did a poor job of it. Our journey's are different, none better or worse than the next persons. Does that sound a little better? Didn't mean to sound defensive.

In fact, I'm at a point right now where I feel I have my ducks in a row for once.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:16 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

On the topic of perspective, I've learned some new ones lately. I work at a huge multi national corporation here in the midwest, there are men and women who have worked there since the 80's. Its not a sexy job by any means, but it pays a living wage etc....these folks have been able to save for retirement, have 401K and put kids through college with this "unsexy" job. And yet the culture there is they bitch. They bitch about everything.

I keep my mouth shut, but I'd love to get them in a room and tell them about things they could truly complain about. But it makes no difference. Besides, I already get the stink eye from a few because I got promoted to a pretty gravy job (forklift) after 2 months. So, I keep my head down. smile alot and try and befriend everyone I can. Seems to be working.

Now, for anyone who really cares what is at the top of my list on a daily basis, it is this: I get my 7 hours of sleep, I get my 4 meals of real food in (not supplements or shakes but real food), I get my 55 minute workout in with cardio. I also need to get to the doctor because my edema is still an issue and my lungs are not always clear, I weaze from time to time. I go to work and do one helluva job, because it makes me feel good. Believe it or not I'm wired that way, when I have a job, work is always kind of a bright spot in the day. I'm not one who "hates" going to work.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:40 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

On the topic of perspective, I've learned some new ones lately. I work at a huge multi national corporation here in the midwest, there are men and women who have worked there since the 80's. Its not a sexy job by any means, but it pays a living wage etc....these folks have been able to save for retirement, have 401K and put kids through college with this "unsexy" job. And yet the culture there is they bitch. They bitch about everything.

I keep my mouth shut, but I'd love to get them in a room and tell them about things they could truly complain about. But it makes no difference. Besides, I already get the stink eye from a few because I got promoted to a pretty gravy job (forklift) after 2 months. So, I keep my head down. smile alot and try and befriend everyone I can. Seems to be working.

Now, for anyone who really cares what is at the top of my list on a daily basis, it is this: I get my 7 hours of sleep, I get my 4 meals of real food in (not supplements or shakes but real food), I get my 55 minute workout in with cardio. I also need to get to the doctor because my edema is still an issue and my lungs are not always clear, I weaze from time to time. I go to work and do one helluva job, because it makes me feel good. Believe it or not I'm wired that way, when I have a job, work is always kind of a bright spot in the day. I'm not one who "hates" going to work.
Thomas..Jeff...Jeff Thomas,
I want to touch base on your original post and then this response.

Original post: Driguy had written on a thread I started. He said that I can chose to ignore thoughts that are not in my best interest. I really found that to be very helpful for this overactive brain of mine.

Your response today: I hear gratitude in your post. You are employed and are doing the necessary work to keep yourself well and alive. Eating right. Exercising. Doing the things that are beneficial and healthy. ROCK ON!
Old 01-09-2021, 03:36 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries. As you know text is a funny thing - it almost sounded to me like you were accusing some here of having a sheltered life.

I've had a privileged life sure - I think a lot if not most of us in the western world have - but sheltered? IMO its pretty difficult to deal with active addiction and stay sheltered.

In fact, I'm at a point right now where I feel I have my ducks in a row for once.
that's good to hear

D
Old 01-09-2021, 05:38 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

No worries. As you know text is a funny thing - it almost sounded to me like you were accusing some here of having a sheltered life.

I've had a privileged life sure - I think a lot if not most of us in the western world have - but sheltered? IMO its pretty difficult to deal with active addiction and stay sheltered.

that's good to hear

D
Dee, your perpsective and chiming in always leaves me in a better place. I know you have some challenges physically, but I wish I had your mind. Its damn sharp.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:02 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As relates to covid, I follow the health experts' guidelines. It's not a political issue, but one of public health. I wear my mask cause I don't want to get it or give it to anyone else. Simple as that.