Notices

Class of January 2021

Old 01-05-2021, 05:03 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Morning Class

Hope everyone has a productive day....what ever that may look like. Take care of yourself first!
Old 01-05-2021, 05:05 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
I poured all the alcohol out of the house, hubby will just have to deal with it. I'm tired of always being the always being the strong one. He didn't come home last night, wiped out out bank account and now he is threatening to get full custody of our son. Not going to lie, I'm freaking out. Don't want to drink tho. Gotta keep my self together, in case of a real battle. What a total hypocrite. Onwards...
I am so sorry this is happening dear BTG. s

I am hoping once he sobers up he will be more rational.....sending you so much love. s ❤️❤️
Old 01-05-2021, 05:11 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DOCBOM View Post
Still feeling shaky and anxious but my appetite is coming back. Drinking water by the gallon reading posts in SR a lot. I just have NO motivation and in a fog. I’ve gone through this before while getting sober/detoxing. Last time I clean up I was working a lot. Now I’m not and the stay home orders due to Covid will make this rough. Isolation is no good, being alone and stuck in my head is not good

Tomorrow in going to attempt to hook up my phone to ZOOM so I can do online AA. Never done it so wish me luck I’m not good with technology

thank you all for being here here really helps
sleep well
DOC
Yell out if you have any trouble getting into zoom meetings etc dear Doc. s xx
Old 01-05-2021, 05:29 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

This Class is growing fast!

For those struggling with routine, something that held me in a vicious cycle WAYYY too long, change it.
Not as easy as it sounds because we are creatures of habit but even a small shake up can change your mindset.
Take a different route home from work, drink water while cooking, take a walk after dinner instead of hitting the couch, anything that gets your brain out of that vicious cycle.

I cant keep up with all the names so I apologize but will leave a little something I heard when I 1st came here and found to be true.

"It gets better"

And easier

Keep up the fight Class.
I drank everyday for 35 years or so. On the 16th I will be 1 year alcohol free.
If I can do it anyone can
Old 01-05-2021, 05:35 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post

For those struggling with routine, something that held me in a vicious cycle WAYYY too long, change it.
Not as easy as it sounds because we are creatures of habit but even a small shake up can change your mindset.
Take a different route home from work, drink water while cooking, take a walk after dinner instead of hitting the couch, anything that gets your brain out of that vicious cycle.

I cant keep up with all the names so I apologize but will leave a little something I heard when I 1st came here and found to be true.

"It gets better"

And easier

Keep up the fight Class.
Thank you Fish! Your post gives me hope!
Old 01-05-2021, 05:43 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post

"It gets better"

And easier

Keep up the fight Class.
Fishkiller--Thanks for the post. I have been reading/listening/learning a lot about habit forming. its not about resolution but intention. we have to be intentional in changing our habits. LOVE the take a different route home. drinking something else while cooking. both of those were bad habits for me. stopping at the store...drinking while cooking (one of my favorite things)...

for the time being, i drive straight to the swimming pool or gym after wor. intentionally making a new habit...where it isn't even a second thought....
for the time being, although not as fun or necessarily healthy, i am buying pre-made meals to cook while i shower and get ready for bed.
and now, i am going to intentionally check in here...to the point where everyone is sick of me!

sounds like it worked for you. congrats on your sober time!!! you are an inspiration!

B.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:49 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

...hope you feel better Puck

Mysteryman, keep at it. this will pass. stay strong!

B.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:05 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DOCBOM

Folks I was a laughing stock too I was the guy in the neighbourhood that mothers shooed their kids away from and crossed on the other side of the street.

I turned it around and now no one remembers that. No one but me anyway and I never forget how lucky I am to get my life and reputation back.

If I can do it, you guys can too.

D
Old 01-05-2021, 06:18 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

A week ago today, I was up early to go to the liquor store on my day off and binged myself into misery, only to call out of work for the next day just to repeat the next day. These days where I’m alone and I’m off work have always been the toughest but I woke up this morning with absolutely no desire to have a drink. Feels good.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:26 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Thanks fish and dee for your posts x hey beel keep posting i always thought people were sick of me also, which they was but you will be fine lol
Old 01-05-2021, 06:35 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Love all of the posts. Never sick of you dear Erratic. s ❤️
Old 01-05-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome DOCBOM

Folks I was a laughing stock too I was the guy in the neighbourhood that mothers shooed their kids away from and crossed on the other side of the street.

I turned it around and now no one remembers that. No one but me anyway and I never forget how lucky I am to get my life and reputation back.

If I can do it, you guys can too.

D
Thank you so much D.

I was that guy, too, so I can totally relate. My whole 20s and 30s until now. Always partied way too hard around the friends I once had. Always looking for more and more. More drunk, more drugs, bad behavior, a crappy attitude... Hung out with people I would have never thought I'd associate myself with (our only common interest were alcohol and drugs). I never really grew up.

And now I find myself pushing 40 and trying to figure out this thing called life I failed at miserably for so long. It's scary as hell because in a lot of ways I am so far behind everyone else my age, but we gotta start somewhere, right?

Hope everyone is having a good day today and remains sober.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:42 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Hi. I’m joining this class. I started my first class in January 2016. I made it to mid February of that year with no alcohol. Two other times through the years I stopped a couple times more. Always lasted about two months each time. Why will this time be any different? I’m going to find out. My last glass of wine (bottle and a half, really. With a mini bottle of champagne thrown into the mix), was Sunday night. One day sober.

If I think back to January 2016......and maintained sobriety.....I’d be at 5 years<!!!!! I’m very proud and happy for the members of that original class who made it ❤️❤️ I love seeing their posts.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:47 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Welcome back dear JulySeaCoast ~ awesome to see you!! s ❤️

And yes Puck....we gotta start somewhere.....I was like you at 40 but I was so scared and messed up that I didn't stop. Or didn't stay stopped anyway. I messed around with this for another 10 years. And then it was even scarier to start over. But I did it. I am still a huge work in progress, still loads of growing up to do, but I know there is nothing I can't work my way through now.

I was someone who had zero faith in myself for a very long time....but that woman is in my rear view now. s ❤️
Old 01-05-2021, 06:50 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Day 11 for me and woke very tired today. Been walking a lot and think I just needed a rest day. I am finding that the more I move the less I overthink, so I am moving loads to shut my brain up. I have all my ducks in a row this time, to really make things work, so there is nothing in my way now. Exciting and scary. Nowhere to hide!

Love that there are so many people here starting the year this way. Love to all of you
Old 01-05-2021, 06:56 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

That's so good to hear Gabe! s ❤️
With you every step honey. xxxx

Maybe you could do something fun today....like order a herb garden for the window ledge and some cute pots and stuff?
I wish I had more window ledges....I am out of room. Although....I have space on my plant shelf for herbs inside and grow lights....hmm.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:56 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

I’m going to take awhile to remember everyone, but, I’ve read all your posts since I’ve joined. I need to go back to read from the pages before that, to help get to know you all better.

I hope you feel better, Puck, and thst it’s a normal cold, not covid.

BTG, that’s awful for you, and I hope things settle. I don’t know your full story there. I’ll try to catch up today.

Beels, thanks for being a cheerleader for our group, and organizing our roster. It’s very generous of your time, and it’s helpful for remembering everyone.

I never got a call back from my dr office, after a few transfers, being told none of the doctors are taking new patients, but there’s a new one coming in March. I could travel to a further office within the corporation, blah, blah. I pressed them to see a NP or PA, and was supposed to get called back, ordered to stay by my phone. No call. I’m doctor shopping locally, since I need a new one either way. They couldn’t give me any info on the new one coming in March, not even gender. Covid has the medical offices here slammed, not only due to that, but because it causes them to see less patients to maintain distance, keep crowds out of waiting rooms, do more telehealth. I saw this reflected in all the reviews for the typically highly regarded offices in my community.

So, the bright side. I was monitoring my blood pressure with a new cuff, per advise from ER nurse. It’s down from Saturday, and yesterday was better than Sunday. So, I’m sure withdrawals were contributing. If I do some relaxation, I can bring it down a bit too. I’ve lost 2.5 pounds since Saturday as well, probably fluid retention. So, while trying to find a doctor, I’ll keep soon relaxation, get an app to help, and get doing some regular exercise. I eat healthy foods, but will stop the unhealthy snacks I do on top of that. I have an exercise elliptical thing arriving today. Husband and I can do it sitting at a desk or watch tv, just to move whenever possible. Our nice elliptical machine went on the fritz right before covid. Nobody will come fix it because it’s old.

So there’s my current plan. I need to figure out how to zoom! My husband sets it all up for our family calls. Then, I can try for either some sort of therapy or meetings.

Also, I’ve now come clean to my whole immediate family about trying to quit. My son was awkward, but chill when I told him. I know it bothers him. He’s passive aggressive about it in comments. He’s going to need proof, not promises.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:58 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Just catching up on all the replies since yesterday. This is only day 2 for me but I feel a tad bit better than yesterday. Just tired. I feel like I could sleep all day. Reading all of your comments about the liquor store rotation made me cringe (at myself)!! I did the same thing. Rodyda, the last month and a half of me having so many holiday days off work is what did me in. Those were my heaviest drinking days done out of boredom and being on pandemic lockdown. I was happy to be back at work yesterday and just need to find new things to focus my free time on during the weekends and pick up more hobbies. Glad to see I'm not alone here.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:02 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Oh, and worth mentioning: my husband has not had a drink since Friday either! He’s not talking about it, and I thought he might be having it in the basement last night. So, I asked. I know he won’t quit, but, it’s definitely helpful that he’s not cracking beers while I get through these early days.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Welcome back dear JulySeaCoast ~ awesome to see you!! s ❤️

And yes Puck....we gotta start somewhere.....I was like you at 40 but I was so scared and messed up that I didn't stop. Or didn't stay stopped anyway. I messed around with this for another 10 years. And then it was even scarier to start over. But I did it. I am still a huge work in progress, still loads of growing up to do, but I know there is nothing I can't work my way through now.

I was someone who had zero faith in myself for a very long time....but that woman is in my rear view now. s ❤️
Thanks, Cat. Very, very inspiring post for me!!