Notices

Taking a break

Old 12-31-2020, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking a break

Thank you to those who've been very supportive, but I don't feel this is a safe place for me. I believe the advice comes from a good place, and non medical/chemical suggestions were welcome. But, no one knows my medical history so telling me I should try CBD or how much exercise I need to do is both inappropriate and uncomfortable, imho.

I wish you all the very best.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One piece of advice that doesn't fit you is all it takes for you to rage quit? Sounds more like you were looking for an excuse to get upset so you don't have to keep doing this. If you aren't ready, you aren't ready, but blaming others for your own choices isn't going to help you in the long run. One of the life skills that most alcoholics need to work on is learning to ignore the things that people say that don't apply to us. Do you always fly off the handle at the first sign that someone isn't going to say exactly what you want to hear?
Old 12-31-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Raeven

I haven't been here much so I'm quite behind. If there is something I'm not up to date on, sorry.

Hey, your reasons for being here or not being here are yours. And I'm sorry you have felt threatened by certain pieces of advice....that's not good But I think you are right, most posters are just sharing what has worked for them or what they may have heard from others.

I think you are pretty early in right now, if I did read that right (I hope) and that is just a really, really tough time. Everything feels so hard and painful. Its very rough.

But nothing is harder than alcoholic drinking huh? So hang in there. Come back here when you are ready. Find another forum, there are others. There are online meetings too if you go in for that kinda thing.

Just know you aren't alone.

Happy New Year. I think 2021 is going to be...well, different that is for sure. Hopefully better.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

I wish you the very best too.

Just imo i've been alot of forums and sites for addiction and recovery and this one is by far the best i've found. I know alot of others with the same opinion. Of course you are free to do as you wish but i just wanted to say that in case your hesitating... Sometimes a post may hurt you personally but 99% of the time they have good intentions. I've been here nearly 5 years and it works (for me)

Happy 2021
Old 12-31-2020, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

There's a saying in AA, but it's applicable to recovery in general and specifically to online recovery sites like Sober Recovery where a poster is often deluged with advice....
Take what you need and leave the rest.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raeven58 View Post
Thank you to those who've been very supportive, but I don't feel this is a safe place for me. I believe the advice comes from a good place, and non medical/chemical suggestions were welcome. But, no one knows my medical history so telling me I should try CBD or how much exercise I need to do is both inappropriate and uncomfortable, imho.
I wish you all the very best.
Hey Raeven,

This is one of the best places to be imho. It's sometimes brutal and honest, and it's sometimes people offering their advice. Never take the advice of people online and always consult with your doctor. Of course nobody knows your medical history, and even if you divulged every detail of it, it would be silly to take advice from others without your doctor being aware.

Anyway, with that said you are safe here. We're all your friends. We're all battling our own daemons in some way, shape, or form. This place help me, and many others, become sober. It's beautiful such a place exists. Every year I come back and spend a while replying to others.

I wish you success on your recovery. I've always got an ear for you if you want to chat.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do understand where you are coming from in regards to the opinions and advice people give. Most, if not all, people are coming from a place of wanting to be helpful and wanting to see you succeed.

It takes awhile for us to build up our thicker skin when we are actively involved in a forum and sharing our struggles. Personally, I just don't respond to comments that I find do not apply to my situation or I just say "Thank you" and move along. Only you know what is truly best for you.

I just wanted to tell you that I do understand your response and I hope you will continue to post.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you change your mind. You can add anyone to your ignore list by accessing the drop down menu under that members names beside their posts.

You won’t see that persons posts again,

D
Old 12-31-2020, 11:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope you decide to stay :-) I had someone comment negatively and it did put me off for a while too but there is a lot of support here.

We aren't supposed to give each other medical advice here but I think sometimes people are just anxious to share what has helped them in their sober efforts and it maybe comes across as them telling you what to do... but it's just others opinions and you dont have to take it on board.

A happy new year to you. Stay safe x
Old 12-31-2020, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you, still reading but I feel taking a break from posting until I'm a bit more steady is my best course. I believe the advice came from a good place, and I'm smart enough to.sort through it, but it still bothered me. Then being on the receiving end of a rather nasty comment really set me back.
again, I am grateful. I hope to post again when I feel better.
I wish you all safe, healthy 2021.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you think a post breaks the rules you can always report It by hitting the little red and white triangle beside the post
D.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you feel that way Raeven. There is so much good support here.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Raeven....

A good thing to develop in recovery is a level of tolerance and open acceptance of others' opinions as their own.

The good news is, we get to choose what we engage with, what we respond to, how we choose to react..... and that's a basic superpower that we as humans in recovery often need practice at.

So - nice thing about SR is that there will sometimes be situations and people that challenge us to exercise our tolerance, acceptance and our own personal discernment....

Anyway, I hope you stick around.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RAL

i hope you decide to stay. This is one of the most supportive places to be in early recovery and beyond. As Dee says no one should be giving medical advice and if someone says something you don't like you can ignore them.

I hope you stick around
Old 12-31-2020, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Raeven, I truly hope you stay on here, even if you take a break. You're doing great and I wish you a safe and warm New Year's and a great 2021.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best 2021 Raeven.

Hope to see you posting again, and when you feel ready.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Raeven58 View Post
Thank you, still reading but I feel taking a break from posting until I'm a bit more steady is my best course.
It's good to hear that you still plan on reading - and if you are reading this I do hope you stick around. The world is filled with people we don't agree with, and especially today it's very easy for anyone with an opinion to hang out that virtual shingle. Even here on SR, remember that it's mostly an anonymous forum...so people may sometimes say things they might not if you were speaking in person. Also remember that nearly everyone is here because we have a problem with addiction, or at least exploring that possibility - so we ain't perfect :-) But there is a staggering amount of knowledge and support here, I can attest to that personally - and I do hope you decide to take part. And just so you know, there's no one keeping track of how often you post - so it's perfectly fine to only do so when you feel the need to ask a question - or you can post 100 times a day, it's all good.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

(((Raeven))) Sure hope you stick around even if it's just reading. There is so much wonderful support on SR!
As they say - Take what you need & leave the rest. Most people mean well. Take care
Old 12-31-2020, 09:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Also urging you not to throw baby out with bathwater, Raven.

You are amongst a bunch of alcoholics & addicts with their own shizz going on . A bunch of real genuine fallible humans . Lots of people are going to say stuff that doesn’t fit for you. That’s okay. You don’t have to take it on board.

If it’s any comfort, my first post here was met with almost universal derision - until someone piped up & suggested I might actually need some support as a newcomer. 😂😂 I nearly walked , too. But have found it is an incredibly supportive space, in general. But especially when things are hard like they are for me , today.

I think in general, we are people who will latch on to pretty much anything to justify our addiction, and we always have to be wary of that .

wish you all the best in your journey. Xx
Old 01-01-2021, 07:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all...