Notices

Happy New Sober Year Weekenders 01- 04 January 2021

Old 01-02-2021, 06:46 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Had to YouTube it to confirm, but thought I remembered Summer Madness in Rocky.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:16 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, sorry about some of your stuff breaking down. There’s always something. I hope you can get your washer repaired or a temporary table top one maybe until things get better.

Saou, great music, especially made in 74, beyond it’s years.

Robbie, another good track.

I’ve not done many steps these last few days. Haven’t been out for a walk as it’s been horrible weather. It’s a bit half hearted snow round here though. Comes down thick and nothing to show for it on the ground.

Manta I know what you mean about Netflix. I’ve watched lots of first episodes of programs, gave them a chance and decided not for me. I’ve seen some good series too.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:17 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

The important thing is that you don't break Bim.

I find hot water bottles when at home give my back temporary relief Vman.

Sorry you are not getting out much Mags, can you not wrap up against the elements just for a quick jaunt?

I am back on my walking crusade, been feeling a bit naff so trying to walk it away. Three hours most days in the countryside, just me, the dogs and the mud!

I saw someone wearing a hand knitted mask yesterday, it did make me laugh as it was absolutely useless and full of holes!

Old 01-02-2021, 11:46 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, Alfie and Daisy will love you. I imagine they’re full of energy and rearing to go. Yeah you’re right, I should wrap up and go for a jaunt. Good idea.

Wouldn't be without our hot water bottles. Great for relieving Mr. Mags’s gallbladder attacks. And great in summer after chilling it in the fridge.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:26 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Mr

Well just lost my origninal post as i was distracted midway and got logged out.
Went walking this morning in a new wood not too far from where i live. Also it was sunny. Happy to have discovered another exploring ground.
Thats about all for me. Trying to get mini vman to do some homework is my sunday afternoon challenge. Give me patience please.
Take care all.
Vinny

Old 01-03-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

My sincere sympathy on your loss, Lunar. We've put both sets of Parents to rest over the past Decade or so. Time [to heal] is your friend.

Thus far, it's SSDD here: Sober Sunday ~ Dynamo Dog. MesaPup was pretty wound up this Morning after an early rise, but has settled into his play routine post-Bowser Brekkie. I'll get around to my customary Sunday Omelette after MesaMate finishes up the first of her usual Sunday GabFests with a Gal Pal.

I'll see what sounds interesting today after a Nap. Outside at 2 A.M. with MesaPup in 12 F [-11 C] Degree temps makes for an early start to the Day. Amazing Stars, though!

Old 01-03-2021, 09:21 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well spotted about KATG/ Rocky Cityboy, I didn't know that.

Mesapup looks like a cuddly toy himself.

It appears London is being visited by (small) space aliens.

Attached Images
Old 01-03-2021, 09:47 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think I'm going to buy one of those inexpensive portable washers. $200 instead of $1000. I hope I can figure out how to hook it up.

Mesa and Sao (or help! Anyone) I'm going to order this one from Amazon, everything I'm reading says "hook it up to your kitchen or bath faucet" - I'm hoping it will work okay with the regular laundry cold water hookup. I'm wondering if I can buy a Y splitter to use both hot and cold. The owner's manual isn't very helpful and I have zero DIY skillz and I spent way too much time yesterday trying to figure out my plan.

Compact 0.9 cu ft. Portable Top Load Washer in White

https://mcappliance.com/brands/magic-chef/mcstcw09w1.html

So: will it work on regular hookup? and

2. Can I buy the Y splitter for the hot/cold? I mean, if it was hooked to the kitchen or bath faucet I would be essentially using a splitter, and could adjust temp
Old 01-03-2021, 10:01 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Mr

Bim i know in europe washing machines heat the water, so depending on the cycle you choose the internal thermostat regulates water temperature. I would almost go to say all washing machines heat the water themselves now. One of the reasons why a washing machine is pretty high up in the rank of electricity and water consumption...

Personally never had any difficulty in hooking up a washing machine. Basically one inlet and one outlet (evacuation)

We will be here the day it gets delivered to provide online assistance
Old 01-03-2021, 10:09 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thank you, yeah, it looks pretty simple. Even I can do it, I think.

I have to hire someone to haul away the broken one first. I don't want someone in my house!

I'm going to go to the laundromat on Tuesday. Holy moly, I have all kinds of stuff to take to keep barriers between me and other peoples' cooties. I really really don't want to go to a laundromat.

Maybe I'll just go buy new towels and stuff instead. It shouldn't take me more than a week to square this away.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:40 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good luck with your new washer, Bimini.

I would suggest a "faucet to hose" adapter.

Possibly also a valve assembly that would provide either-or, as well, for convenience.

My 2 pennies.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:02 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Okay, well you may as well be speaking Dutch for all I know.

I'm going to order the washer and then work it out. Seems like the easiest way. It does come with a faucet adapter. I just want to put it in the laundry room - not the kitchen. I'm sure it's an easy thing - I'm likely just over-thinking it.

Moi??
Old 01-03-2021, 11:16 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

If the dryer is working, believe I would wash clothes in the sink before I went to a laundromat, LOL.

All I have to add to the conversation is that we have the "energy efficient" washer dryer combination in which the dryer sits on top of the washer. I've hated the washer from day one and would have given it away if it wasn't so darn expensive. It's "water efficient" because it doesn't use enough water to actually wash the clothes well if they are heavily soiled, which mine usually are.

Cool. Just noticed I hit 2,000 posts.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:27 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Yeah, those front load stackable washers are awful. That's what I have. The dryer still works and it's actually on a shelf, not sitting on the washer. This one I'm going to buy is tiny - but I don't do that much laundry and the reviews say it will do sheets and towels. I'll just have to keep up with it. I hope I can fit a sheet in there. That would be a problem if I couldn't - but like you said, there's always the bathtub and/or sink! I don't think I can go wrong for $200, really. I may like it better than my heavy stackable front loader - which I never liked for the same reason(s). $$$$ and where's the water?? All I see is the same dirty clothes, but a little damp.

Lunar, I'm just going to get it then figure out what I need. It comes with adapters.

Thanks you guys.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:48 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Yeah, those front load stackable washers are awful. That's what I have. The dryer still works and it's actually on a shelf, not sitting on the washer. This one I'm going to buy is tiny - but I don't do that much laundry and the reviews say it will do sheets and towels. I'll just have to keep up with it. I hope I can fit a sheet in there. That would be a problem if I couldn't - but like you said, there's always the bathtub and/or sink! I don't think I can go wrong for $200, really. I may like it better than my heavy stackable front loader - which I never liked for the same reason(s). $$$$ and where's the water?? All I see is the same dirty clothes, but a little damp.

Lunar, I'm just going to get it then figure out what I need. It comes with adapters.

Thanks you guys.
I just watched the video with the link you posted. It looks easy to set up. I know you can do this! I'm really sorry that your appliances are breaking. This is not what is needed right now. Our washer and water heater both died in the same week in 2018...? So, I get where you are coming from and I know how stressful these things are.
When will the washer arrive? Are you able to wait to do laundry until then?

Old 01-03-2021, 11:52 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
I just watched the video with the link you posted. It looks easy to set up. I know you can do this! I'm really sorry that your appliances are breaking. This is not what is needed right now. Our washer and water heater both died in the same week in 2018...? So, I get where you are coming from and I know how stressful these things are.
When will the washer arrive? Are you able to wait to do laundry until then?
I haven't even ordered it yet. I'll call tomorrow and have the junk guys come out and take my old one away. Then I'll fumigate my entire house. Then I'll order it.

And, yeah, I can go a good month without doing any laundry. It's not like I'm showering every day anyway, and no one gets close enough to me to be able to judge. I have plenty of sheets, towels and clothes. It's just that we all have our favorite things. I can hand wash some stuff.

Be gone, water heater talk. I just replaced mine last year. Phew.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I watched the video too. Looks simple enough but things always do. Having had two washing machines that broke in quick succession I now rent one. If it goes wrong, they fix or replace it. Works out more expensive but gives me piece of mind.

I drove out to a place I hadn't been too for a while today. In places the mud was atrocious but at least the sun eventually came out.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:23 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Old 01-03-2021, 12:40 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Alfie and Daisy look like they are loving it
Old 01-03-2021, 01:04 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in, better late than never. Happy New year to everyone!
Sorry to hear about your dad, Lunar. Take care.

Congratulations to everyone who has hit milestones!!! Keep it going!

I'm sure you can manage the washer hookup, Bim. Just be prepared to hit the hardware store at some point. Even the most simple projects like this tend to require it, no matter what hardware comes with. At least that's my experience, so I'm always ready for that eventuality, and try to start these projects early enough in the day to make at least one trip to get some doohickey or other.

I have nothing to report, really, other than I've been binge-watching past seasons of the Great British Baking Show and have learned a LOT about various baked treats we don't have here, and I would like to try making some, but at the same time, I am working on cutting my sugar consumption way back. Those two things are incompatible.