Notices

No to shame: a new day, today.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No to shame: a new day, today.

Hello everyone. I first visited this site when I was about 25. I’m now 32 (well on New Year’s Day I will be!). The last day I had a drink was 28/12/2020. That will be the last day that I drink. I say this not as a grand proclamation or to set myself up for a fall; I say it with conviction, and to make myself accountability. I am choosing to make this statement, and I am choosing to put my life above the insidious cunning that is alcoholism. I will look forward to spending 2021 with all of you amazing, inspiring and determined people, so that we can help support each other through understanding and love, encouragement and caring. It feels good to finally accept that not only am I powerless to alcohol, but to accept such a community that will show me love and support. I always rejected such notions before, believing that I did not deserve them. Now, not only do I have the twin gifts of surrender and acknowledgement, I have the power to tell myself something that has alluded me for so, so long...

I am worthy. I am enough. I deserve true happiness.

Thank you again to everyone who posts here; you’ve truly been a support and life-saving.

To alcohol - whatever you told me, I accept and understand that you lied. Whatever you took from me, you may keep. I am walking away, from you. I am saying I can indulge you if I wish - but I don’t wish to, not anymore. I don’t choose you. I choose me.

Here’s to a happy, healthy and sober 2021, everyone!
Old 12-29-2020, 11:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome (back) and congrats on a new beginning

D
Old 12-30-2020, 12:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post 🙏
Old 12-30-2020, 12:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lpg

Hello TheAten love your post and your farewell to alcohol. Wish you well on your sober journey
Old 12-30-2020, 01:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RAL

Welcome to SR and great that you have made a fresh start and new commitment
Old 12-30-2020, 02:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome TheAten. Your post is excellent. Keep reading and posting at SR, it will help you on your sober journey.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome and stick around.
32 is a good age to get sober and free.
Happy 2021 so...
Old 12-30-2020, 02:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I hear what you're saying about thinking we don't need/deserve support. And I've come to find that it's a blessing not to have to carry the burden all by ourselves.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheAten View Post
Hello everyone. I first visited this site when I was about 25. I’m now 32 (well on New Year’s Day I will be!). The last day I had a drink was 28/12/2020. That will be the last day that I drink. I say this not as a grand proclamation or to set myself up for a fall; I say it with conviction, and to make myself accountability. I am choosing to make this statement, and I am choosing to put my life above the insidious cunning that is alcoholism. I will look forward to spending 2021 with all of you amazing, inspiring and determined people, so that we can help support each other through understanding and love, encouragement and caring. It feels good to finally accept that not only am I powerless to alcohol, but to accept such a community that will show me love and support. I always rejected such notions before, believing that I did not deserve them. Now, not only do I have the twin gifts of surrender and acknowledgement, I have the power to tell myself something that has alluded me for so, so long...

I am worthy. I am enough. I deserve true happiness.

Thank you again to everyone who posts here; you’ve truly been a support and life-saving.

To alcohol - whatever you told me, I accept and understand that you lied. Whatever you took from me, you may keep. I am walking away, from you. I am saying I can indulge you if I wish - but I don’t wish to, not anymore. I don’t choose you. I choose me.

Here’s to a happy, healthy and sober 2021, everyone!
12-28 was my sobriety date as well... the day I said it and meant it... the day I went from trying to 'quit drinking' to 'starting to live sober'.

Coming here to SR was a crucial step in my sobriety (7 years now) and along the way, SR has been a tool, a community and a connection that has been invaluable.

Welcome to the club!

Old 12-30-2020, 07:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[/QUOTE]Happy Birthday. Thank you for posting, it is what I needed to read this morning
Old 12-30-2020, 07:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your resolve to stay sober! You seem to have an excellent mindset which is a huge step in the right direction. Let's do this!
Old 12-30-2020, 11:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your kind words and welcome! I’ve been dealing with the insomnia that comes with suddenly removing alcohol from your system - I’ve managed a cumulative 10 hours of sleep since the 28th! This is usual for me when I stop, but it still is very unpleasant! Other things as usual - emotions running very high and switching rapidly, ringing in ears and irritability, but I know these all pass and relatively quickly. Will be glad around days 7-10 when my body starts to feel good and I have my first deep, restful and rejuvenating sleep!

Wishing everyone a very happy and peaceful New Year.