Notices

Stuck on waiting for the 1st of Jan....

Old 01-01-2021, 01:19 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

I absolutely know that you are all right in that I should not have waited to stop drinking but it is what it is. Today is day 1. In reality I should have stopped drinking around 10 years ago but better late than never!

I need to apologise...I feel rude and ungrateful that I started this thread and then proceeded to ignore everyone but I am back on board and very much hope to engage here.

Happy New Year!

Day 1. My last day 1.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:24 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
RAL

Welcome back Pureself. It's great to see you and many congrats on day 1 and your new start
Old 01-01-2021, 01:33 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

May you make this time your last time pureself

D
Old 01-01-2021, 03:55 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Pureself, the 2 important things are: you've come back and you've quit!

Happy New Year! I hope you will stick around as it will make your sober journey so much easier to stay on the boards, use the support and keep reading other people's experiences.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:55 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

You have the will, and the way so be sure to do self care and make your health and sobriety a priority. I believe in you and I believe that this can be your year! Happy day #1!!
Old 01-01-2021, 09:07 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

It takes what it takes. If you don’t drink each day you’ll never drink again 🙏
Old 01-01-2021, 09:54 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by Pureself View Post

I absolutely know that you are all right in that I should not have waited to stop drinking but it is what it is. Today is day 1. In reality I should have stopped drinking around 10 years ago but better late than never!

I need to apologise...I feel rude and ungrateful that I started this thread and then proceeded to ignore everyone but I am back on board and very much hope to engage here.

Happy New Year!

Day 1. My last day 1.
I am so glad that read that! I decided to quit by my birthday...drank till the day before. I got so sick I spent my birthday hungover, shakes dry heaves, the works! I also have read over and had been advised to just quit NOW! It’s great advice! I’m one on those who set a date and pushed the goal posts further so I know it doesn’t always work. My last quit, the day before my birthday is almost here! So two years. So it can be done. I wish you sobriety happiness in 2021!
Old 01-01-2021, 10:44 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Great day for your day one!
Old 01-01-2021, 11:20 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Happy New Year!

Day 1. My last day 1.
The best day to plant an Oak Tree is twenty years ago.
The second best day is today.

Congratulations on day 1!
Old 01-01-2021, 11:22 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 1 Pureself!
Old 01-01-2021, 11:38 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing ok Pureself.

Though seemingly impossible getting past Day 1 and move to future is not as difficult as it seems.

It took an Acceptance that drinking alcohol would never work for me. After that it was relief, and the future lay open unimpeded. Certainly not easy, but definitely worth it as I'm learning about growing into the person I want to be.

You can be too.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:40 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your Day 1 Pureself, this is the rest of your new life, isn't it wonderful,
Lean on us, we'll support you through the tough times
Love Billy x
​​​​
Old 01-01-2021, 11:55 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hello Pureself! I hope your day one was a great one! Also thanks for starting the other thread, it is very interesting to read all the different reasons that people have decided to quit. I can see myself in many of the replies that have been posted. Good food for thought xx
Old 01-02-2021, 12:54 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.

Got through day 1 relatively well. Had a very honest and open talk with my partner. This is certainly not the first of these talks but I guaranteed her it would be the last. The secrecy aspect is the thing she finds most hurtful and I hid all of my drinking. The last relapse was particularly deceitful, drinking around 20 units a day but claiming to be on the wagon, getting very defensive when asked etc. Shameful really. But amazingly she has been very supportive yet again.

I have contacted Smart Recovery and I am going to an online meeting on Monday, I have never done meetings before but the Smart approach appeals to me and I think an element of community is something that has been lacking from previous recovery attempts so I'm quite optimistic about that.

Hope you're all well and progressing with whatever stage you're at.

All the best
Old 01-02-2021, 01:05 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds awesome pureself

D
Old 01-02-2021, 02:31 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
RAL

Thank you everyone.

Got through day 1 relatively well. Had a very honest and open talk with my partner. This is certainly not the first of these talks but I guaranteed her it would be the last. The secrecy aspect is the thing she finds most hurtful and I hid all of my drinking. The last relapse was particularly deceitful, drinking around 20 units a day but claiming to be on the wagon, getting very defensive when asked etc. Shameful really. But amazingly she has been very supportive yet again.

I have contacted Smart Recovery and I am going to an online meeting on Monday, I have never done meetings before but the Smart approach appeals to me and I think an element of community is something that has been lacking from previous recovery attempts so I'm quite optimistic about that.

Hope you're all well and progressing with whatever stage you're at.

All the best
Hi and many congrats on getting through day one and speaking with your partner.

I attended my first SMART meeting this week and it was amazing. It just made so much sense to me and I can see that the tools they teach you can be applied to all areas of life. I'm going to another one this evening. I was terrified at first but you can remain totallt anonymous with no mic or camera on if you so wish. I just listened. Hope it helps you too
Old 01-02-2021, 03:27 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
Hi and many congrats on getting through day one and speaking with your partner.

I attended my first SMART meeting this week and it was amazing. It just made so much sense to me and I can see that the tools they teach you can be applied to all areas of life. I'm going to another one this evening. I was terrified at first but you can remain totallt anonymous with no mic or camera on if you so wish. I just listened. Hope it helps you too
That sounds very encouraging! Thank you.

I really like what I've heard so far about Smart and your experience seems to back that up. I'll definitely post after the meeting and hopefully I have a positive experience to share like you have.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:36 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

So happy to see you successfully made it to your quit day. Stay close and vent here whenever you need to. Remember, the pull alcohol has on you will fade as you stack up the sober days. A new normal awaits. Just take it one day at a a time. You got this.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:14 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hope your weekend is a healthy and sober one Pureself and that Day 2 is treating you well.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:19 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pureself, I'm glad you're here and taking action to be sober and recover.