Notices

Merry (lockdown) Christmas Weekenders 25-28 December 2020

Old 12-25-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

PJ, great post. I agree that we all have a past and that our present may or may not be what we had expected for ourselves but that connecting with others and sharing a laugh is always good for the soul. Family is a double-edged sword, so it's not like having them around solves everything. I still have to manage that eight inches between my own ears.

Sobriety helped that a lot.

Mags, I'm up every day at the crack of dawn. It's the sober hours. No more midnight drinking and looking for drama, now it's all about the quiet mornings.

Love the pics of Alfie and Daisy and MesaPup on the previous page.

Andy, I'm callin' it Jesus's Birthday. I hope we can still be friends. I know we can.

Keepin' it simple today. A walk, some food, a couple chores, bed.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:41 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
under new management

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Bim, that picture is amazing
Old 12-25-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas everyone.

Nice picture Bimini. Reminds me of the head and shoulders scene in Jaws, LOL.

First Christmas I can recall of my adult life with no hangover.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:50 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Lovely Pic, Bim!

Happy Holiday.
Merry Christmas
Happy Day to ALL!
Old 12-25-2020, 08:33 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Anxiety off the charts today, I hope I get through the family dinner without any rows.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:33 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

The Queen's Christmas Broadcast 2020 (7:20)

Old 12-25-2020, 08:45 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Love the pic, Bim! ❤❤❤
Old 12-25-2020, 09:03 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

That image probably is from New England, at least I thought that when I saw it.

It's not my image. It is stunning, though.
Old 12-25-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Great picture Bim.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:26 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Be kind to yourself

Merry Christmas, everyone. It was sober and clean here. 48 days.
Thoughts and prayers where they are needed.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:37 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Well Christmas is over. Went a lot better than last year when I was isolated and looking forward to December 26 to buy beer. Day 99 today. Looking forward to day 100 tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on the impending milestone FF

D
Old 12-25-2020, 12:44 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone has or had a good day

D
Old 12-25-2020, 03:37 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I stupidly drank yesterday so my Christmas Day has been ruined in that I felt so rough this morning and didn't get to go to my mother's and therefore missed out on my Christmas lunch. Why can't I ever learn? Even when I was drinking yesterday I didn't enjoy it as I knew I would probably make myself ill today. Or maybe I did it because I didn't really want to be around people today.

I'll just be glad when this year is out of the way, it's been one thing after another. I just wish my local addictions drop in / treatment centre was open as I feel that had I been able to talk to someone on Wednesday or yesterday I could have avoided drinking.

The strangest thing is I never usually drink on Christmas Eve. I ruined so many of my Christmas Day's when drinking in the 80s and 90s that I made a conscious effort to stay sober on Christmas Eve and apart from one blip in 2017 I'd managed to stay drink free on a Christmas Eve (and usually for a week or so before hand too) until yesterday. At least today i didn't drink and thankfully have no alcohol in the house.

The only decent thing about it is I'll get to have my Christmas dinner tomorrow (and get / give out my presents) but it's not the same and once again I've made myself look unreliable to the family.

So that's the sobriety clock back to Day 1. At least my hangover has all but gone and it's almost bed time.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Anxiety off the charts today, I hope I get through the family dinner without any rows.
All went very well. My mum, brother and brother's girlfriend were drinking wine in small quantities. My sister was drinking non-alcoholic Heineken. I wasn't tempted and wasn't offered any, fortunately.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:56 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
I stupidly drank yesterday so my Christmas Day has been ruined in that I felt so rough this morning and didn't get to go to my mother's and therefore missed out on my Christmas lunch. Why can't I ever learn? Even when I was drinking yesterday I didn't enjoy it as I knew I would probably make myself ill today. Or maybe I did it because I didn't really want to be around people today.

I'll just be glad when this year is out of the way, it's been one thing after another. I just wish my local addictions drop in / treatment centre was open as I feel that had I been able to talk to someone on Wednesday or yesterday I could have avoided drinking.

The strangest thing is I never usually drink on Christmas Eve. I ruined so many of my Christmas Day's when drinking in the 80s and 90s that I made a conscious effort to stay sober on Christmas Eve and apart from one blip in 2017 I'd managed to stay drink free on a Christmas Eve (and usually for a week or so before hand too) until yesterday. At least today i didn't drink and thankfully have no alcohol in the house.

The only decent thing about it is I'll get to have my Christmas dinner tomorrow (and get / give out my presents) but it's not the same and once again I've made myself look unreliable to the family.

So that's the sobriety clock back to Day 1. At least my hangover has all but gone and it's almost bed time.
Forgive yourself and pick yourself up. I must say I oppose the idea of having to reset the clock due to one slip, I personally think it is demotivating. It's one of the reasons why I've come to prefer Lifering to AA as a support network. But that's just my 2c.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:28 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Christmas is always going to be really hard for those in early recovery so don't be too hard on yourself for drinking Robbie but use that feeling of unreliability you have as a spur. I did something similar before and finally quit on the 30th Dec ('14)

Pretty downbeat Christmas not being able to see anyone except my older sis/bil for a walk.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:45 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Forgive yourself and pick yourself up. I must say I oppose the idea of having to reset the clock due to one slip, I personally think it is demotivating. It's one of the reasons why I've come to prefer Lifering to AA as a support network. But that's just my 2c.
Thanks. I prefer to reset the clock simply because it helps me stay focussed.

I've heard of LifeRing though I don't think they have any meetings anywhere near where I live. I've looked at their website and the only page that doesn't appear to be working properly is the one for England. I have a vague memory of being a member of their forums many years ago, possibly about 20 years ago. I think it was them anyway. Their forum name sounds familiar.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Thanks. I prefer to reset the clock simply because it helps me stay focussed.

I've heard of LifeRing though I don't think they have any meetings anywhere near where I live. I've looked at their website and the only page that doesn't appear to be working properly is the one for England. I have a vague memory of being a member of their forums many years ago, possibly about 20 years ago. I think it was them anyway. Their forum name sounds familiar.
Well you're more than welcome to join us on the online Irish Lifering meetings, there was a guy from England on the other day and there is regularly an American lady on the meetings.

http://lifering.ie/online-meetings-schedule/
Old 12-25-2020, 06:37 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Well Christmas is over. Went a lot better than last year when I was isolated and looking forward to December 26 to buy beer. Day 99 today. Looking forward to day 100 tomorrow.
Hi FF,

Good to hear from you. Glad you’re now onto expressing the real you with your family/friends. Be careful with that Ativan, though. You mentioned taking three this morning because you were anxious about the gathering. I’m assuming it’s prescribed PRN (as needed at your own discretion).

GT