Notices

Here I go again

Old 12-23-2020, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I go again

I screwed up, again! I drank last night and am hungover. I have to take some strong action. I have decided to ask my sister, who lives in the same house, for help. She likes to have a drink late at night sometimes, I am going to ask her to put the bottle out of my sight.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you. Asking for help is a good first step.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi PP, I'm sorry you're struggling.

I couldn't help but notice the prayer to the Great Spirit in your signature. Could I suggest that you stop fighting yourself, and start loving yourself? What you are fighting is alcoholism. Alcoholism is not you. It might seem like you, but it's not. Alcoholism is now in charge, but by loving yourself you will give yourself strength to take back control.

And here's the thing about fighting alcoholism. It first of all requires surrender. Surrender to the fact that you've allowed it to take control. There's no shame in this bit. It's about dropping all denial. Denial that you can keep drinking without destroying yourself eventually, probably sooner than you think.

Then allow your wiser self to take over. The wiser self that will make the plan and look after you, PP. You need that bottle hidden well out of sight and you need to get sober. Then make that plan and come back here onto SR everyday, instead of dropping off. We'll help, we'll shore up your wiser self. There's no need to fight yourself, you need to be looking after yourself. That's what you should be asking Great Spirit strength for, in my humble opinion.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to see you're trying again, Pattyspaw. Thinking I could moderate my consumption was the thing that always brought me back to booze. Like MissP says, I had to stop fighting and surrender.

Honestly, Patty, I don't even care for a drink these days. It's amazing what time can do. You can certainly do this, don't doubt yourself.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pattyspaw View Post
I screwed up, again! I drank last night and am hungover. I have to take some strong action. I have decided to ask my sister, who lives in the same house, for help. She likes to have a drink late at night sometimes, I am going to ask her to put the bottle out of my sight.
Hey....

Do you think asking your sister to 'put the bottle out of my sight' constitutes 'strong action' in this case?

Just asking.... but in my experience, continual failure to embrace sobriety when we know that's what we seek is a madness that requires far STRONGER action.

When's the next AA meeting you can attend?
Can you call a therapist and book an appointment ASAP?
Do you have a copy of AA's Big Book? Can you get one? Will you read it cover-to-cover?
How many sober people do you know personally? Can you write down ten of their names, get their numbers, ask them all if they're willing to take calls to help talk you down from drinking when the urge hits?
What else is on your list?

STRONG ACTION begets stronger results.

you can.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

PP,
It is so good you are back here and giving sobriety another chance.
Personally, I needed an action plan as to what I was going to do during the drinking hours. Given that I drank when I got off work, I had to set up structure in order to keep myself sober and safe.

Action plan example:
Make tea when I get home
Take a bath/ shower to wash off the stress of the day
Eat dinner
Log onto an AA meeting
Participate in SR
Bed
Rinse and repeat.

It takes a few weeks to create a different habit. Once we are over the initial phase the healthier habits are like second nature.
So far so sober.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you, Patty and I'm glad you're taking action. If you like herbal tea (there are so many flavours), maybe that would be something to drink in the evening when your sister has a drink.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nothing good ever comes of it, Patty. It took me way too long to finally admit that. I can't have a drop. You will get there - never stop trying for a better life.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here PP. Asking your sister may indeed help, but helping yourself could be an ever better course.

I found every bit of effort I put into not drinking paid back dividends.

Free Owl & Mizz have some great suggestions about some things you might do. I understand none of those might be particularly appealing... but you’re trying to save your life here, yeah?

D

Old 12-23-2020, 12:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'll keep you in my prayers, PP, and love your signature! Day 1 again for me too.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey... Patty... how you doing?

Old 12-25-2020, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
Hi PP, I'm sorry you're struggling.

I couldn't help but notice the prayer to the Great Spirit in your signature. Could I suggest that you stop fighting yourself, and start loving yourself? What you are fighting is alcoholism. Alcoholism is not you. It might seem like you, but it's not. Alcoholism is now in charge, but by loving yourself you will give yourself strength to take back control.

And here's the thing about fighting alcoholism. It first of all requires surrender. Surrender to the fact that you've allowed it to take control. There's no shame in this bit. It's about dropping all denial. Denial that you can keep drinking without destroying yourself eventually, probably sooner than you think.

Then allow your wiser self to take over. The wiser self that will make the plan and look after you, PP. You need that bottle hidden well out of sight and you need to get sober. Then make that plan and come back here onto SR everyday, instead of dropping off. We'll help, we'll shore up your wiser self. There's no need to fight yourself, you need to be looking after yourself. That's what you should be asking Great Spirit strength for, in my humble opinion.
Wise words right there.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

That's a really good idea. Better would be if it wasn't in the house at all. Having access to alcohol would have been a big problem for me.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Having the bottle hidden would not have worked for me paddyspaw. My mother was teetotal, but never a problem with alcohol. I think she chose this course because my father was alcoholic and it created mayhem in our household.

Someone gave her a bottle of that milky whisky liquor (ladies drink) stuff once, and I knew it was in the house somewhere. It had sat undisturbed for years. I remember ripping the house apart trying to find it. Well, not exactly "ripping", but I went through everything in my desperation. Still couldn't find it, perhaps she knew.

It does have to come from within ourselves paddyspaw. And you will find it if you look. Finding ourselves is a much better find than finding the bottle paddyspaw.

You can do this, because you want to, and you're right.