Notices

Friday = 96 hours

Old 01-01-2021, 06:04 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Happy New Year, Slayin!
Old 01-01-2021, 06:13 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slayingthedrago View Post
18 days- Happy New Year 2021 to all. I haven't made a resolution in decades but I hadn't prayed in decades prior to 3 weeks ago and that seemed to work and help me so here goes...

1) I will not drink this year. It is a 1 way ticket to physical, emotional and spiritual ruin. You were on the alcoholic bus and it was headed off the cliff. thankfully, you woke up enough to grab the wheel and slam the brakes. You teetered on the edge but you now have all 4 tires on the ground with the emergency brake on.

2). I will be a better person this year. I will appreciate my blessings and try and pay it forward.
Great resolutions, Slayer! You sound like you're on the right track. It was an earnest prayer I prayed on December 7th that was the turning point for me. While I pray regularly, I realized I was always praying for others. Why not ask God to help me? I'd been depressed for a couple of months and asked that He lift and take away my sadness. Almost immediately, He smashed my depression and gave me the strength to stop drinking. "You have not because you ask not."

Keep up the great work!

Old 01-01-2021, 06:48 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Great job my friend, you are really stepping up to this and owning your recovery.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2021, 07:13 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Happy New Year AdvBike, Mizz and Optimist- thank you all for your words of encouragement. I may sound confident but it is partly me talking myself into it. ; ).

But, no matter, things are much, much better without booze.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:16 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Happy New Year AdvBike, Mizz and Optimist- thank you all for your words of encouragement. I may sound confident but it is partly me talking myself into it. ; ).

Happy New Year!

Your comment about "talking myself into it" reminded me of a Bible verse that states that when you pray, believe your prayer has already been answered.
"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."
You're doing exactly that, Slayer :-)
Stay strong.
Hugs, Optimist

Old 01-02-2021, 06:30 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I totally subscribe to the "Fake it till you make it" approach! Yesterday a customer asked me "How are you always so optimistic?"
Me: "Most of this is me trying to be optimistic. Operative word is "try"..... LOL! My head is a whole other level of existence. Lets get this year!
Old 01-02-2021, 04:53 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

"The only thing we have control of is our attitude." - some wise person
Old 01-02-2021, 05:06 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

So true. Glad you're doing well Slaying. Awesome job of it!
Old 01-02-2021, 05:22 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

thank you Advbike, Mizz and Optimist- we are doing this! Spent time with my wife today, there is hope. Either way, I will not drink alcohol again. Doing this for me, but will take any positives that come out of it.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:50 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Today is 20 days of sobriety. After years of abusing my body, I know it will take awhile to feel great physically again. I start getting a head/neck ache around cocktail hour every day, necessitating a couple of ibuprofen. I also wake up really groggy, sore and with a headache most mornings. I need to take more ibuprofen when I wake. I am drinking lots of water, eating very well and taking long walks with my dog every other day. I know this is "normal" for recovery and I know everyone is different. I am also not looking for medical advice- does anyone have any personal experiences of this sort of thing after 3 weeks? I WILL start hopping out of bed feeling like Superman pretty soon correct ??? : )
Old 01-03-2021, 06:34 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Today is 20 days of sobriety. After years of abusing my body, I know it will take awhile to feel great physically again. I start getting a head/neck ache around cocktail hour every day, necessitating a couple of ibuprofen. I also wake up really groggy, sore and with a headache most mornings. I need to take more ibuprofen when I wake. I am drinking lots of water, eating very well and taking long walks with my dog every other day. I know this is "normal" for recovery and I know everyone is different. I am also not looking for medical advice- does anyone have any personal experiences of this sort of thing after 3 weeks? I WILL start hopping out of bed feeling like Superman pretty soon correct ??? : )
I have also been feeling similar, Slayin. The winter really does do a number on some people. Usually, I am up and getting in my runs/ weights with energy and determination. The last few weeks have been really hard on me in terms of energy etc. I think yesterday was the first day where I actually felt "good" on my run. Picked up my pace for a bit and even said to myself "There you are. Yay!" ....It didn't last long. haha! It makes me wonder if I actually had the virus at the end of November but tested negative?

Back to you.....We are all so different and need different levels of rest etc. I personally would just take things as they are and soon enough you will be back in action. Get that Superman suit washed and pressed cause you are going to need it! Now, if I can just find where I put my own superhero suit??
Old 01-03-2021, 11:35 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear. Sounds like some kind of sleep disturbance which could be PAWS. The only time I get headaches generally is when I cut back on coffee. Have you made any coffee or dietary changes other than not drinking?
Old 01-03-2021, 12:30 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

thanks advbike- no other changes, no. Coffee is even more critical than before! (tastes so damn good in sobriety for some reason). After doing more reading, I think it's somewhat normal and I will just have to be patient.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:30 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Mizz- check the mirror again- you are already wearing it in my book! : )
Old 01-04-2021, 09:04 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

ok- started with 3 hours, then 3 days and here I am at 3 WEEKS today. Feeling great. Looking forward to 1 month next week. Throw away the booze/wine/beer anyone who is struggling. Life is better sober. 1000% better.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going~!

D
Old 01-04-2021, 06:59 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Three weeks is fantastic my friend!

Good job Slaying!

ps. and yes.. coffee tastes awesome in sobriety!
Old 01-05-2021, 04:32 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Day 22 check in: Focusing on the things that have gotten me to this point. It is still very early, this I know. Here are some things that have become clear to me so far:

1) my gratitude list is growing. 14 days straight with emails to myself. there is so much to be happy and thankful for.
2) I have been an agnostic most of my life. There is something more out there imho. emphasis on the "h"
3) Alcohol is literally, poison. How much and how often I had been pouring it into my body is starting to disgust me.
4) waking up not hungover is something I hope I never get sick of. It is like being 10 years old on xmas morning for me.
5) In sobriety, it is very easy to decipher who one's true friends are. And who were the drinking buddies. Misery loves company.
6) Vitamins, eating well, hydrating, exercise are not for the healthnut whackjobs. It feels good to take care of oneself after the self-abuse of drinking for years on end.
7) sobriety has a way of making me walk a little taller and straighter.
8) compassion, kindness and empathy are much easier to come by in sobriety.

Have a great day....

Old 01-05-2021, 07:56 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Fantastic post!

You're doing an amazing job, Slaying!
Old 01-06-2021, 06:00 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

thank you advbike. Lot's of good riding/exercise on your part I see! I'm a little jealous of your weather.

Day 23 here today. Off to chase the almighty dollar. Feeling strong still. Fake it till you make it.