Notices

The philosopher's not stoned - a meaning of life thread

Old 12-20-2020, 02:20 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I believe I'm spiritual MissP. Also believe energy would be off the charts there. Golden. You are indeed fortunate.

Wish I were listening to what Anangu people were saying, wish I were there. One day will be mine. One day I will see.

I'll remain closely attuned at precisely 7:32pm NT time to try pick up the vibes from the Solstice ceremony Uluru, where no person should climb. It be sacrilege. The mighty rock lives. The dead heart throbs.

I'll be there in spirit and soul for mass meditation. I hope for the New Age.

My regards to all who stand in awe and respect of Uluru.

Rock on.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:30 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I think you have great philosophy Freedom. Similar to mine really.

Caring about others is what makes the world go 'round, without which there would be no philosophy.

And what about all of the magical, philosophical tales that Ireland has to tell?

Hope your're doing ok Freedom. Are you home?
Old 12-20-2020, 02:44 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I believe I'm spiritual MissP. Also believe energy would be off the charts there. Golden. You are indeed fortunate.

Wish I were listening to what Anangu people were saying, wish I were there. One day will be mine. One day I will see.

I'll remain closely attuned at precisely 7:32pm NT time to try pick up the vibes from the Solstice ceremony Uluru, where no person should climb. It be sacrilege. The mighty rock lives. The dead heart throbs.

I'll be there in spirit and soul for mass meditation. I hope for the New Age.

My regards to all who stand in awe and respect of Uluru.

Rock on.
Please do, Steely, we need pure hearts like yours, as many as we can get. It's about the sum of our good intentions. For the very best cause you could ever think of.

At 7:32 pm NT time / 9:02 pm Australian Eastern Daylight Time, face Uluru and radiate positive energy. If you could think or meditate on it for an hour leading up and for some time after, that would help immensely. Thank you my friend.

PS, I'm not going to be at the rock but at the resort not far away with about 300 other like-minded souls in meditation. There will be 12 Elders at the rock itself doing what they need to do.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'll be there MissP., my friend.

Facing the rock, trying to radiate all of the positive energy I have, I promise.

I'll be looking North to the Centre.

I promise the rock.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:01 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I think you have great philosophy Freedom. Similar to mine really.

Caring about others is what makes the world go 'round, without which there would be no philosophy.

And what about all of the magical, philosophical tales that Ireland has to tell?

Hope your're doing ok Freedom. Are you home?
I'm doing great. At home. 94 days sober. Looking forward to Christmas and improving my reputation as son/brother/uncle. I won't be the family disgrace this Christmas.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
The posts about purpose and meaning, and creating you own meaning and finding your purpose...I suppose this is the thrust of my thread. What are they? I'm not sure even the most intelligent brain could say: "I need a purpose so I'm going to do x, and this will become my purpose and I'll be satisfied"

Or maybe it is that simple!! But it would take a hell of a lot of confidence to set off down that path, creating a purpose for the sake of having a purpose, and building your life around it.

I guess my question is: What do you do when you DONT have purpose or meaning? It's all well and good talking about when you do have that, but what when you don't?

Make something up? - for example throw yourself into a cause and let that become your purpose in life? That seems so counter intuitive but who knows? Not me 😁
Perhaps this was making something up, but for me it was the "jumping off place" as AA's Big Book calls it: I sat there in my overstuffed chair drunk and miserable, and I wondered - why bother, nothing matters. I considered suicide, not to the level of picking up some means of ending my life, but just wanting the pain to end. And I considered that question: why bother? And it is the same question we all face on some level, consciously or otherwise, every day of our lives. Our answer to that question is how we live our lives.

Oddly enough, today is the 11th anniversary of the day I admitted myself into rehab, which was about five days after the night I pondered that question. I'd like to think the days since then have been more meaningful, and the world just a little better for me having been in it rather than giving up.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:36 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Now I'm becoming uncertain MissP. Feel like I might be intruding on Anungu people's sacred stuff.

Am I becoming a New Age white person in engaging?

Old 12-20-2020, 10:59 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I've thought about it (all last night) MissP, and I'm will feel like a New Age white person. It's sacred stuff, not my business. The Anungu people know what they are doing. I will simply be respectful. So wanting for change became overly enthusiastic. Respect to you as always MissP.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

As we finished, a young waitress with tangled, dirty-blond hair and a beaded headband began clearing our table. She stopped to listen to the conversation and finally sat down, abandoning her work. After a while, when there was a pause, she spoke to the Dalai Lama. “You didn’t like your cookie?”

“Not hungry, thank you.”

“Can I, um, ask a question?”

“Please.”

She spoke with complete seriousness. “What is the meaning of life?”

In my entire week with the Dalai Lama, every conceivable question had been asked—except this one. People had been afraid to ask the one—the really big—question. There was a brief, stunned silence at the table.

The Dalai Lama answered immediately. “The meaning of life is happiness.” He raised his finger, leaning forward, focusing on her as if she were the only person in the world. “Hard question is not, ‘What is meaning of life?’ That is easy question to answer! No, hard question is what make happiness. Money? Big house? Accomplishment? Friends? Or …” He paused. “Compassion and good heart? This is question all human beings must try to answer: What make true happiness?” He gave this last question a peculiar emphasis and then fell silent, gazing at her with a smile.

“Thank you,” she said, “thank you.” She got up and finished stacking the dirty dishes and cups, and took them away.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:12 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
As we finished, a young waitress with tangled, dirty-blond hair and a beaded headband began clearing our table. She stopped to listen to the conversation and finally sat down, abandoning her work. After a while, when there was a pause, she spoke to the Dalai Lama. “You didn’t like your cookie?”

“Not hungry, thank you.”

“Can I, um, ask a question?”

“Please.”

She spoke with complete seriousness. “What is the meaning of life?”

In my entire week with the Dalai Lama, every conceivable question had been asked—except this one. People had been afraid to ask the one—the really big—question. There was a brief, stunned silence at the table.

The Dalai Lama answered immediately. “The meaning of life is happiness.” He raised his finger, leaning forward, focusing on her as if she were the only person in the world. “Hard question is not, ‘What is meaning of life?’ That is easy question to answer! No, hard question is what make happiness. Money? Big house? Accomplishment? Friends? Or …” He paused. “Compassion and good heart? This is question all human beings must try to answer: What make true happiness?” He gave this last question a peculiar emphasis and then fell silent, gazing at her with a smile.

“Thank you,” she said, “thank you.” She got up and finished stacking the dirty dishes and cups, and took them away.
I noticed in that story The Dalai Lama first started with outside things that give a person their happiness and then stated something that comes within. How does one acquire compassion and a good heart? My answer to that would be along the lines of learning to love yourself right as you are.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:33 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

What if that love is of the narcissistic kind? A selfish love?
Old 12-20-2020, 12:34 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I've thought about it (all last night) MissP, and I'm will feel like a New Age white person. It's sacred stuff, not my business. The Anungu people know what they are doing. I will simply be respectful. So wanting for change became overly enthusiastic. Respect to you as always MissP.
Hi Steely, I totally understand your reservations.

However, this is the time for wirritjin, the blackfella-whitefella future. Spirit has no colour. The Elders want anyone of any origin to give their energy and intent to this, all it needs is purity in the heart. The main protocol is not to go to Uluru itself but anywhere else is perfect. We had a lady, a Koa (Queensland) elder, speak to us yesterday about it. Their prophecy in fact calls for a certain critical mass of intention to be reached. This is for our future together.

“Do not Come to Uluru on That Day, Everywhere Else is Perfect” “There are no equivocations or exceptions in this as it is extremely secret business. The returning point and geographical location is that anywhere on the ground, skin to earth at 7:32 pm Uluru time is the perfect location. Whether Bondi Beach, the Kimberleys, Ramindjeri Tribal estates or a park is just as good as having both hands on the rock face of Uluru. In fact and protocol, it is one hundred times better. Give the Old Ones space and make sure your soul energy is clean and fearless and then become of their space and a Black-fella, White Fella (Wirritjin) future.”

So if your concern is not to intrude on sacred business, they have told us it is all our business.
​​​​​​​x
Old 12-20-2020, 12:56 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi Be123, I feel sympathy for you in your practical quest for purpose.

I tried a couple of things when searching for my purpose.

First, I discovered the Japanese concert of ikigai. This translates loosely as the reason to get out of bed in the morning. It lies at the confluence of 4 things: what you love doing, what the world needs, what you're good at, what will remunerate you so you can earn a living.

Most of us have only 2 or at the most 3 of those things. In my case, I trained in a certain area, and I was good at my job. It paid me well. I just didn't love doing it nor was it what the world needed. I began to rework that expertise into something a lot more aligned to people and planet - there are many people thinking the same, so it wasn't hard to find the path. I began to love my work passionately again, in a way I never had before, and I shaped the path more and more as I went.

Second thing I did in trying to find out what I really loved was I made a list of the books I'd loved reading over the years. There must be something that deeply interests you. For one of my friends, who was a marketing consultant, it was baking. For me, it was spirituality and radical ideas on business and money, which I discovered were my passions by studying my book list. What is the thing that you could stay up all night surfing the Internet to find out more about? That you just crave learning about. That's your passion.

It comes down to heart. Purpose must move you at the heart level. Service to others must come from a place of deep love and passion or you will drain the well dry over time.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:04 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

That's 1:02 AM my time. Brrrr on that barefoot on the earth thing. No idea which way to face, I'm guessing South-ish.

No promises, but my intentions will be with you, MissPerfumado. Very interesting.

It was said 50+ years ago that we were in the dawning of the Age of Aquarius. Or, at least there were songs and books and plays.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
EndGame

In this case, I would argue that it isn't love. Maybe a preoccupation or obsession along with a desire to control other people, but the narcissist's daunting challenge is working through overwhelming self-hatred that is often expressed as using other people until those people are no longer valuable to the narcissist in their assigned roles.

People are of value only to the extent that they promote the narcissist's personal agenda. People are both replaceable and disposable, like the wrapper on your Egg McMuffin. That is our inevitable destiny in the life of a narcissist.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:44 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I noticed in that story The Dalai Lama first started with outside things that give a person their happiness and then stated something that comes within. How does one acquire compassion and a good heart? My answer to that would be along the lines of learning to love yourself right as you are.
I love the Dali lama quote, but can't help thinking a lot of this is circular. If I loved myself completely as I was I would be completely whole. If I was completely whole I would love myself as I am.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:58 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Narcissistic (I also call it conditional love) love is the opposite of what I'm talking about. You can be loved as long as you...... I'm talking about the kind of love that doesn't depend on that person doing the right things, saying the right things. Just acceptance of that person as they are. I'm not an expert but I don't see narcissistic people being able to do that. Their value is contingent on what other people think of them or achieving some goal.

Edit: when you love yourself you don't need other people to do it for you.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:03 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
I love the Dali lama quote, but can't help thinking a lot of this is circular. If I loved myself completely as I was I would be completely whole. If I was completely whole I would love myself as I am.
I think the people that are talking about the mystical on here are going in the right direction. In order to accept yourself and love yourself, you first have to understand who/what you are.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Indeed a major philosophic question; if not unanswerable.
Are we all simply chancey or is there some form of profound yet currently unknowable purpose.
Eternal life, reincarnation, truth, infallibility, 'perfection et al are all tough asks.
I like to call myself a Saspian------secular and spiritual ponderer.
As suggested by some, down to earth attempts at secular decency are worthy aims.
I think it was Paul Tillich who once stated 'In seeking to become Gods we may become less than men'---------and women.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
Indeed a major philosophic question; if not unanswerable.
Are we all simply chancey or is there some form of profound yet currently unknowable purpose.
Eternal life, reincarnation, truth, infallibility, 'perfection et al are all tough asks.
I like to call myself a Saspian------secular and spiritual ponderer.
As suggested by some, down to earth attempts at secular decency are worthy aims.
I think it was Paul Tillich who once stated 'In seeking to become Gods we may become less than men'---------and women.
I'm secular as well. Spiritual concepts seem the easiest way to express certain things we don't have other words for. When I'm in that mode it kicks in a different part of my brain. I see it as a creative process.