Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

As the festive season looms - Weekenders 18 - 21 December 2020

Notices

As the festive season looms - Weekenders 18 - 21 December 2020

Old 12-18-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Plans for the weekend:
The very last of the gift shopping.
Finish putting ornaments on the tree.
Wrap gifts.
Start to bake (two kinds of cookies, cheese straws, something else savory, not sure yet).
Vacuum and undust everything on main level.
Watch a a couple of documentaries that are on my list.
At least one walk outside.

Pretty easy, especially with no hangovers! Some of this I will start today.

I'm not in too much of a Christmas mood, but It's never been a huge deal in my family anyway. I'm planning a nice dinner for me and my daughter (steak, crab legs, maybe asparagus if I can find some). We will open gifts (I'll be lucky if there are more than two for me, one from each daughter) and maybe play a game or something together, and that's it. We will Facetime my other daughter and my granddaughter while they open their gifts from us. I'm not sad about it, though. Universe willing, we will be able to all gather again as a family by next summer. With no one missing.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Sounds like a nice weekend, MLD. I won't get any gifts, but then I'm not giving any either. Seems fair enough.

Anyone who's still lurking this thread, maybe you could join the site - pretty soon there will not be any lurking possible without joining the site at least.

I know a lot of people read this forum and I think it really has its strength when you join up/join in, talk about your ish and get feedback.

No one is an island. I've learned a lot on forums. Not just this one, but other forums too. I had to say some pretty dumb stuff and get called on it first. That's part of the process of unraveling the "wrong" thinking that kept me doing maladaptive things.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:40 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks for the very thoughtful opener, Mags. Lots of timeless Wisdom here on SR!

We're all assuming the proverbial position around here. See below. Wrapping a few Packages to post. A Treadmill Session is pending.

Light Snow ending, and we can now see under the Cloud Bank after dense London_ish Fog earlier. Lotsa whispy frozen Vegetation that makes for authentic Winter Vibes. Conditions clear into spotty Sun later, and decent Sun for 5 or more Days forward. All good for the Moods.

In Scotland, when a Building Roof is removed, that takes a Property off the Tax Rolls. This memory of Rural areas there got me to looking at derelict Properties, and I found this interesting Link below.

Derelict Scottish Properties

Old 12-18-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders!

Thank you for a shout out.

Last three weeks have been... challenging would be one word for this.

I am kind of now sure how to put my craziness in words, so I'll write it up later.

Today one of my friends who happens to work for the European Space Agency sent me a New Year video they made.

Some creative people work there.

I think I'd share.

Enjoy)

See you)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_LF...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-18-2020, 10:07 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Robbie and saoutchik - I enjoy watching the series Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) [1969-1970] which is great fun and shows scenes of London where changes were just beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randal...irk_(Deceased)

Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads is also great fun, and a document of the changes in Newcastle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatev...Likely_Lads%3F

I enjoy older movies and tv series for the social history they capture.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Mesafluffball looks very comfortable.

Good to hear from you midnight.

Bim, the term maladaptive is very descriptive of my drinking behavior.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
undust everything.
I love this. I am never dusting again, I will only ever "undust".

Just makes perfect sense
Old 12-18-2020, 10:45 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

MLD, steak and crab legs sound great. I miss my old connection for $5 stone crab claws.

It would be nice to just pressure spray the inside of the house and blast away the dust, junk mail, and all.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:48 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Samantha

Trying my best to stay sober this weekend. But I am so bored.
already done 2 meetings today.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Stone crab is the best. I will have to settle for snow crab this time. The king crab at the store was tooooo expensive. I couldn't bring myself to spring for it. My very favorite is dungeness crab, but I'm not on the west coast at the moment. When I traveled to Seattle on a regular basis (Army stuff) I'd get dungeness crabs and bring them home on dry ice. Many years ago now.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:20 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hang in there anxiousrock, I had forgotten that time can go real slow in early recovery.

MesaMan, I have seen that Gartloch asylum in a film somewhere. Even if you were sane when you went in you wouldn't stay that way for long. Grim is an understatement.

Good to see you MidnightBlue, what a fantastic video and how cool to have friends at the European Space Agency.

I remember Randall and Hopkirk as a kid. The guy who played Geoff Randall was one of us I think although it was cigarettes that did for him.

The film Get Carter has some good shots of Newcastle circa 1970. Good film too as long as you don't dwell on the fact that Michael Caine is supposed to be from the North East.

If you like this song by Valerie June there is a really good version of her singing it acapella Covid style on YouTube as well. I was torn between which version but her voice is great on both.

https://youtu.be/AfuHu7zlEVk

Old 12-18-2020, 02:31 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Dunno if I am getting soft in my old age! Watching Rocky IV. I have memories of going to the cinema at 13, when the Rocky fight scenes came on the whole cinema got up on their seats and chanted “Rocky Rocky”. That is so not a British thing to do lol. sorry this is so random , just had to share!! xx
Old 12-18-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Ps the main reason for posting is this film is making me cry lol...being a menopausal alcoholic doesn’t help lol
Old 12-18-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Recovering alcoholic I need to add! Without drink to dull the emotions, I seem to cry at everything at my age lol x
Old 12-18-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Someone smiles at me, I cry, can’t watch nature programs or I cry, can’t listen to nice music or I cry. Can any of the ladies here relate? I have never been a person to blub over emotional stuff. But I seem to be blubing over everything and anything lately. It’s very uncomfortable lol x
Old 12-18-2020, 02:59 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Sorry, lonely so will pretend you are watching along. Round 2, Rocky is getting the upper hand. This is the point we all jumped up on our chairs and started chanting!!
Old 12-18-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Where are you all?
Old 12-18-2020, 03:27 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Off to bed now. I can feel lonely normally so no need to post more and feel more lonely lol. Have a great crimbo everyone whatever that means to you xx
Old 12-18-2020, 03:29 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

hi Manta
Old 12-18-2020, 03:44 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Hi andy, in bed now and gonna get my head down. Thanks for the acknowledgment xx