Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

As the festive season looms - Weekenders 18 - 21 December 2020

Notices

As the festive season looms - Weekenders 18 - 21 December 2020

Old 12-17-2020, 08:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
OX

In for another weekend. Thanks for the great start mags! Great post.

nice pic sao. Looks warm

Fine with saying no to booze but got taken in by a two for one ice cream deal yesterday. Had given up sugar and got a huge box of chocolate in the post on Tuesday. Since then it’s been a bust. Similar feelings that had with booze. Hiding and hoarding. Ugh
Old 12-17-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags.

Gilmer was a true treasure. Thanks so much for that quote.

Nice to see you here, Aellyce. Hope that all of those future plans turn out perfectly.

Bim, the first time my granddaughter saw my Roomba, she backed up and started sucking furiously on her binkie (pacifier). She never did warm up to it.

Kaily, your Dad is a hoot. Your story made me chuckle although I can imagine that you didn’t find it too amusing. Good to hear that he made his appointment.

Sao, beautiful day, indeed; thanks for the photo. We had a summer-like storm here yesterday, with thunder and lightning.

BigShoe, ice cream gets me every time. Cake, too.

Wait! There was a Midnight sighting??? Midnight.

Having technical issues today with the television; our grands could probably figure out and fix the issues in a second.

Have a great day, all.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Not far from St Katherine's Andy - Limehouse Basin about half a mile east. I actually got some business (making pontoons) from a place in Bow, about 1 mile north.

Any self respecting 60 year old would never stoop to getting a cheap laugh. Not me though.

Attached Images
Old 12-17-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't think Ive ever been in weekenders before but it's good to be here. Great quote from Gilmer, thanks Mags

Hope your dad is ok Kaily. My mum had the vaccine today too

Old 12-17-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good to see you, ReadyAtLast.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
any self respecting 60 year old would never stoop to getting a cheap laugh. Not me though.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Evening Weekenders

sao - good picture of docklands and a lovely sunny day too. It was warm enough here around lunchtime to feel like an early spring day rather than being in the middle of December.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Magsie

Aellyce, congratulations on your 4th sober weekend.

Readyatlast, good to see you.
I’m hearing of more and more people getting the vaccine! It was at our local clinic.

Kaily, that’s a relief that you took your dad, at least you know he was safe with you. Bless him saving his tissues. That rainy day he’s saving for hasn’t come yet.

Saou, you never fail to give me a chuckle.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
OX

Hi ready!
Exciting that the vaccines are making their way! Hope to get a jab by summer or earlier if possible. I’ll have to go back to my old ways of having an excuse not to associate with others

solstice is near!
Old 12-17-2020, 08:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome RAL, nice to see you in Weekenders.

Sao it took me a while to catch on what the joke was in your pic.

Morning Mags.

Two weeks and it will be 2021.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Kaily, I remember the beginning of 2020 and now it’s almost 2021. Time flies if you’re having fun...or not.

Hi BigShoe, yes great news on the vaccine.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

Sao- very funny pic! I used to work in Docklands too back in the 1990s. Seems a lifetime ago

Hi Kaily-hope your dad is ok. Let's hope 2021 is better than 2020

Bigshoe=that's me too. Will have to find a new excuse not to socialize once we've had the vaccine

Have a good day everyone.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have been absent of late. Usual stuff- pain, brain, insane....also end of year and finishing art assignments, practical and papers...this has been a real kicker - but I got my final results today and received a credit for both the history and the drawing subjects.

Given the last 2 drawing subjects I scraped through the first, and a solid pass for number 2- a credit shows more improvement. My brain is still physically healing from the burns trauma, the booze, the 23 surgical procedures and the huge amount of life saving drugs and anaesthetics I had. The slowly improving grades show my brain is still healing. This was ahlf the reason I pursued this visual arts Bachelor- to brain train. Also a concrete way of showing myself comittment to my recovery.

So I am satisfied, but am determined to do more of the same work in the break, so as not to lose momentum.

My prayers and support to all.
Forgive this post going in other threads- if you read around.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders ReadyAtLast! The east and north parts of docklands will have changed a lot since the 1990's, especially from the time in the early 2000s when London decided it would bid for the 2012 Olympics.

PhoenixJ, congratulations on your art exams, if you become a Bachelor of Arts that is fantastic! I hope you get some chemical free relief from the physical pain in 2021 or sooner if possible.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Magsie

PJ, I was hoping you was ok when I’d not seen you. Congratulations on your art exams.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:04 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Happy Friday weekenders

I am starting to feel a bit festive today & less bah humbug, as I put up some fairy lights last night. back in my drinking days I still had my tree up in August some years.

stay close this weekend - we may not all be going to Xmas parties & suchlike, but there's still a lot of temptation around. post on the thread if you're even considering drinking
Old 12-18-2020, 02:35 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

I'm wondering when I'll get invited to get a vaccination. I've not heard of anyone around where I live getting one yet though.

Mags, I can remember the beginning of 1980 never mind the beginning of 2020! Now that really is time flying...

Mentioning of Docklands in London, I can remember having a night out around part of the area (can't remember exactly where though) in 1987. It was before a lot of the building work started. I just remember a run down area with old buildings, some of which were half demolished. I wish I'd brought my camera as I would love to have taken some pictures. I love looking at pictures of old, long gone, places. There's a great UK website which contains pictures of places and buildings which have long since been demolished and looking at them really is like stepping into another world.

What plans does everyone have for the weekend?
Old 12-18-2020, 03:10 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Morning Weekenders

Mags, I can remember the beginning of 1980 never mind the beginning of 2020! Now that really is time flying...

Did the magpies win something in 1980 Robbie ?
Old 12-18-2020, 03:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Did the magpies win something in 1980 Robbie ?
You know me too well! New Year's Day 1980 - we beat Sunderland in the Tyne-Wear derby by 3 goals to 1 - that game is well remembered on Tyneside... even better we were top of the old Second Division. Sadly Sunderland had the last laugh as Newcastle's promotion chances vanished when we faded away in March 1980. Even worse, Sunderland went on a winning streak after we beat them and got promoted instead of us.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Magsie

Robbie, your memory is excellent. Talking of old buildings there’s a Facebook page that shows abandoned buildings in the uk.very interesting.