SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I've learned a lot from SR (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/451148-ive-learned-lot-sr.html)

least 12-14-2020 09:48 PM

I've learned a lot from SR

The two biggest things being:

In order to stay sober, I must want to be sober more than I want to drink.

And the second thing is Gratitude.

When I got the first concept down pat, I was on my way to a sober life. But it wasn't until I started practicing gratitude every day that I felt 'solid' in my recovery and in a better frame of mind to maintain it. :)

The members here helped me get to the first concept. They kept after me to try again, to never give up. It took me a while, I'm sorry to say, after joining here before I got sober for good. But the important thing is that I did! :)

As for practicing gratitude - I can't say enough good about it. It changed my whole life for the better. :) My perspective has been altered for the good, that is to say, I see the good in things I used to dismiss. I am much more positive than I used to be and it's because I practice gratitude. :)

To anyone starting out, or starting over, the best advice I could give you would be to practice gratitude every day!

I thought of a haiku about it. :)

Expect nothing and
appreciate everything -
thus will life be sweet. :)

I've also made some wonderful friends, and even got a lovely little cat from one of the members. :)

Dee74 12-14-2020 10:13 PM

Thanks for sharing that least and congrats on your recent 11 year milestone :a122

D

Steely 12-14-2020 10:49 PM

So grateful to be sober least. Grateful for the little things. Peace.

Did not realise you had only just celebrated 11 years. Congratulations least.

I love your haiku. Everything and nothing. It's all there.

MythOfSisyphus 12-14-2020 10:49 PM

We're lucky to share SR with you @least!:thanks:scoregood:dance1a:

MissPerfumado 12-14-2020 10:54 PM

Wow, least, 11 years! What an achievement. Congratulations.

I learned a lot from SR too.

For me, SR was like a massive toolbox full of different tools to aid recovery. It was from members here that I learned about triggers, and I started to identify mine. I found really handy practical ideas like surfing the urge, or playing the tape forward, and they saved me quite a few times.

I also learned that there were quite a lot of people who were like me, who had gone through the same kind of drinking experiences I'd been having and were successfully sober. It was from these people that I realised: (1) drinking the way I had been would lead to the end of me and (2) it was possible to stop drinking and build a happy life.

The realisation that people could drink as much as I did (or more) and then go on to lead a life where they didn't need to drink ... I just thought that was impossible at first. But I kept reading their stories and I found out that, not only was it possible for them, it was possible for me. From SR, I first began to envisage a life without drinking, and I think this was the push I needed to finally stop denying my problem. Real life people on these pages inspired me to do it.

Be123 12-15-2020 12:50 AM

I also have learned so much form this site but above all it gave (and continues to give) me HOPE.

So many people who have been through the same as me but have managed to lead happy sober lives. It felt impossible, utterly impossible as I failed on loads of day ones. But I found hope and at the time it was all I had to cling to

EDIT - congrats on 11 years. Amazing!!

Steely 12-15-2020 02:58 AM

I think my learning has only just begun.

"Getting rid of toxic relationships" has been hard for me, but today was able to say "no more" to someone. More peace for me because I realise I am worth it. Groundbreaking stuff. :)

FreeOwl 12-15-2020 04:01 AM

11 years is awesome, congratulations. And that Haiku rocks. Thank you for that!!

Cityboy 12-15-2020 04:54 AM

Least, I've learned a tremendous amount on SR. Not just about all aspects of alcohol dependency, but I've learned a whole new classification of support.

Sober45 12-15-2020 05:07 AM

Congratulations on 11 years, Least! When I think of SR, I think of you:) Thanks so much for all your support and encouragement!!

TiredCarpenter 12-15-2020 05:40 AM

It’s not too often we get a haiku in these parts. :)

I always enjoy your words.

Be well least!
I hope you’ll enjoy many moons of sober contentedness, one day at a time.

Be123 12-15-2020 06:08 AM

Oh what the heck! It's a celebration, let me roll out my favourite haiku (not the first time on this site but it's a goodie!):

There was a young man
From cork who got limericks
And Haikus confused

tomls 12-15-2020 06:18 AM

This may sound lazy but... Ditto what everyone else said!

Zebra1275 12-15-2020 07:27 AM

Congratulations, least on 11 years!

Anna 12-15-2020 07:50 AM

Thanks for the great post, Least, with your good advice. :)

Hevyn 12-15-2020 09:46 AM

Least - We took similar paths to sobriety. I, too, knew I was on my way to making a big change in my life - but it took me a few months & a couple false starts.
I am grateful for the overwhelming relief I felt from all the support & understanding.
Grateful, too, for your friendship & kindness over the years. :hug:
Congratulations on your 11 - here's to many more shared sober years.

Fusion 12-15-2020 11:19 AM

Awesome post, Least and huge congratulations on 11 Years 🎂! Because of your Gratitude recommendation, every morning when I awake, and every morning before I fall asleep - I say a list of things that I'm grateful for. And I know it helps to rewire my brain towards a positive bias, not a negative one. Thank you!

Bute 12-15-2020 11:30 AM

I hope it's ok to post in this section, when I post, it's usually in F & F, as my son is my ALO.
Gratitude, and realising what I have to be grateful/thankful for, has helped me so much in my recovery. Accepting what I cannot change, but appreciating that I can still function and live my life and experience joy, despite my sons addiction. I can still have hope, without expectations.
Bute

Steely 12-15-2020 03:56 PM

Good on you Bute.

You are welcome here, always.

tornrealization 12-15-2020 06:09 PM

Hi Least! Congratulations on your 11 years. I believe over the years you encouraged people to try 90 days and then I saw it progress to practice gratitude. I see you welcoming newcomers, and people like myself who keep having day 1s. It’s a simple message, Practice Gratitude!, and one that is true. I thank you for welcoming all of us in these boards for so many years!