Notices

First time not drinking at brunch.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time not drinking at brunch.

So today marks the 28th day of my sobriety. I’m really proud of myself for making it this far. Today was the real tester....

A typical Sunday for the girls and myself was a boozy brunch and shopping. Now that restaurants have opened again I knew that this would be the day I would be really challenged. Instead of going to lunch first I suggested we go shopping first. Then after shopping it was time to get a little something to eat. I chose a restaurant that has more of a “family” vibe to it so that drinks weren’t the first thing you see. Prior to me becoming sober it didn’t matter what kind of establishment it was as long as it had alcohol. Today I had a Diet Coke and my friend had a Dr. pepper. As you can imagine this was very unlike us. I had to think did we always drink because I automatically pick a boozy place? It was an absolute must for my Sunday Fun Days in the past. Those days usually turned into a very drunk Sunday night, and then turned into a hangover from hell on Monday morning. No thank you!

I had a good day without alcohol!
Old 12-13-2020, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you preplanned got through and had a good day Takecation - congrats on your near month

D
Old 12-13-2020, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Glad you made it through a trigger day. The strength built and built for me, but the addiction morphs. Anything becomes a reason to drink. Bottom line...I don't drink anymore. I hate the stuff. It is poison.

I am stressing a bit today because of some work issue. It is frustrating, but nothing like when I was actively addicted.

I am not going to get into the issue because I prefer to not give it any traction. I have already handled it and unless "they" are out to get me things are fine. Even if "they" are out to get me: I don't really care and I probably deserve it. Lol!

Thanks for helping me by giving me a chance to offer you my 2 cents and by letting me vent a bit.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

While I have never been to brunch, I know that it is generally very booze forward, so congrats on making it through that!
A great milestone. Maybe family restaurants are the way to go for now
Old 12-13-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for planning ahead and taking action.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Takeaction View Post
Those days usually turned into a very drunk Sunday night, and then turned into a hangover from hell on Monday morning. No thank you!
It was when one of my Saturday brunches turned into a very drunk Saturday night, Sunday night, Monday night followed by a Tuesday 'hangover from Hell' that I decided to join this forum. 2.5 years later, alcohol free and I still remember how awful that felt.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The more you choose to stay sober, the easier it will get. After enough sober time, and practicing gratitude every day, I lost the desire to drink altogether.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome progress, Takeaction! This is a major win for you Restaurants for me were always just an excuse to drink lots of red wine. The food wasn't appealing because it took away from the buzz. How many times was I asked by the Waiter..."Is everything ok with your meal?" And of course it always continued on when I got home ending with a hangover the next day.

After almost a year sober, I don't feel like I'm missing out on a thing
Old 12-14-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 28 days! Sobriety with old friends can be hard!
Old 12-16-2020, 04:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It seems like life revolves around alcohol when one first gets sober. However after some time in recovery you realise for the majority of people it actually doesn’t and that they aren’t obsessed like an alcoholic is in my experience.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

congratulations!! I remember those early victory milestones.... breakthroughs, really.... eye-opening and veil-lifting experiences that challenged my perspectives not only about my own drinking - but about others' too.... I recall being amazed one time at a dinner in Vegas during very early sobriety. I looked around the room at a large team dinner, feeling self-conscious about drinking water instead of wine, my belief firmly rooted in the "but EVERYBODY is drinking" story.... and noticing with shock for the first time that maybe a third of the room was also drinking water.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations. But as a side note, a campaign brunch is the perfect excuse for a slobbering drunk to pretend he's actually elegant and upscale. But pancakes and liquor don't sound that good now that I think about it.