Notices

Question Regarding Seizure I Had

Old 12-11-2020, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Regarding Seizure I Had

Hi Everyone,

I've drank once in the last year and have six months sober. Last December I went on a huge bender and had a seizure. I was in the hospital for a few days and got released.

Over a month later, in late January of this year, I went to the gym on a Sunday morning. After my workout I felt very dizzy then went to the grocery store. I woke up in an ambulance and apparently had another seizure. I did not go to the hospital for this one, felt woozy but ok, went to to work fine the next day ect.

My question is has anyone heard of anything like this? It had been over a month since I drank and I have never gotten seizures before. I haven't had one since either. Was it just my body was still recovering that long after my binge?

Everyone once and a while I get worried I'll have another one out of nowhere.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It’s probably nothing to worry about but if it were me I would share my concerns with a doctor just so I could have peace of mind.

lol, actually in reality I put things like that off and let them fester. Something I’m working on. Don’t be like that!
Old 12-11-2020, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yikes Vincent. That must have been terrifying.

I have seen other people here talk about seizures. Also changes in your body may go on for months after you quit drinking. It is interesting but I'm not sure how much study there is of this.

I hope others will show up with more experience in this.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

See a neurologist.

I was having some neurological stuff going on so I got some thorough testing done. Docs found scarring in my brain and diagnosed me with epilepsy. Alcohol does aggravate my epilepsy amd in early sobriety I would have multiple seizures a day. But my seizures are characterized as auras, which are different than full body type seizures and only very temporary loss of consciousness - more like locking up.

Get tested. If you have a seizure while driving you will be very sorry. I had one on my motorcycle at +90mph and lost awareness for 2-10 seconds. Terrifying.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Huge bender as in how much and how long? Did you take anything else. I had a couple seizures 8 years ago. Dr. said it was from stopping anti depression meds cold turkey. He said you have to taper off it. Also I didn’t eat that day and was drinking. It was pretty bad.

So there can be multiple factors. Dehydration etc.

Happy to say haven’t had one since. But I still drink. Still trying to quit though. The stopping and starting is just too hard.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Vincent

I'm sorry. I can imagine that's scary.

I'm glad they have not recurred since the start of the year but I understand your concern.

None of us are doctors and even though some members here have seizure experience Member A B or C's diagnosis might not be the same as yours - the very best thing for you to do is see your Doctor about this.

D
Old 12-11-2020, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Khorhey View Post
Huge bender as in how much and how long? Did you take anything else. I had a couple seizures 8 years ago. Dr. said it was from stopping anti depression meds cold turkey. He said you have to taper off it. Also I didn’t eat that day and was drinking. It was pretty bad.

So there can be multiple factors. Dehydration etc.

Happy to say haven’t had one since. But I still drink. Still trying to quit though. The stopping and starting is just too hard.
I can't remember how long. It was probably about two weeks straight of non-stop booze and little eating (I'm non-functioning now once i start). Nothing else. I had a two prior to the one last December though.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah ask a doctor of course. But not eating is obviously bad. It could be anything. That’s why it’s hard to diagnose and you need to see someone.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had my first seizure 8 years ago, and since then i've had at least 30 more seizures. After the first one I went to a hospital and spent 4 days there while they ran every test imaginable to find out why it happened. They couldn't find anything wrong. It's a great thing to hear, and also terrifying because like you said you wonder when the next one will happen.

What I have learned though over the years is that here are so many different things that can trigger a seizure. If the hospital didn't run thorough tests on you like EEG, MRI, CT, PET, blood work etc i'd suggest your next step would be to see a neurologist if you can.

Also, dehydration can cause seizures. Good luck.