Notices

Coming up on a year.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming up on a year.

After 4 years of sobriety I relapsed last year during the holidays for about a month. Binges. I sobered up the first week in January and have remained sober. Lots has happened this year. Many good things for me personally, and a few bad things globally as we all know.

It feels very good getting back to a normal life. I have to admit having a job that requires me to work a lot helps. I know what it takes to be sober and and I know what its like to be a drunk. I'll choose being sober. Its such a much simpler and calm life. I also attribute my "success" to many of you on this forum. Always there, no judgement. Its very very nice. Jeff.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very well done, Jeff! The best is yet to come!
Old 12-11-2020, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good job!
Old 12-11-2020, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome news, Jeff Congratulations on your progress!
Old 12-11-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I know you’ve posted about a few relapses this past year so I don’t see how you’ve been sober since January but I could be wrong. In either case, Congratulations on all the good things that have happened and congratulations on your sober time.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on a year of recovery, Jeff.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many congrats on a year of sobriety
Old 12-11-2020, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your upcoming year of sobriety, thomas11!
Old 12-11-2020, 05:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go my dear!!
Old 12-11-2020, 09:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello all, I need to make a public apology.

The US nationwide crapstorm that dominated much of the news in 2020 started in my hometown of MInneapolis MN, USA. It was the result of the death of George Floyd by 4 Minneapolis police officers, (allegedly, charges but no convictions at this point). We had riots that destroyed over 500 business, fires, and a death. 24/7 coverage locally and much nationally.

Then the lockdowns started right behind it, and I drank. Again, in classic binge form. Dee reminded me, and that's the truth.

In hindsight, I was kind of scared. No job, spending my retirement money to survive, no prospects of employment, riots ruining my place of birth, and lockdowns destroying close friends businesses and livelihoods.

Honestly, I had completely compartmentalized that and had forgotten about it. It was one of the darkest times in my life and I'm no psychologist but maybe my subconscious buried it? Anyway, it has not been a year. Not even close. Sorry for that.

I guess the upside is that things are going very well, and I have gratitude for that. Again, apologies. Jeff
Old 12-11-2020, 10:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

Amnesia is a likely outcome under conditions of continuous stress and persistent tension.

Part of you put it on the shelf, sensing that you may have already had too many things to attend to at that particular moment.

Makes ya feel crazy, right?
Old 12-11-2020, 11:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The key thing is today Jeff, whether that's a year since your last drink, ten years, a week or a day.

That's the great leveller of this forum and the thing that gives us all hope. Because all of us can stay sober just for today 👍👍
Old 12-12-2020, 03:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good work Jeff.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Man! It's hard to believe that it's been a year already! Sounds like you are really doing great!
Old 12-12-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Amnesia is a likely outcome under conditions of continuous stress and persistent tension.

Part of you put it on the shelf, sensing that you may have already had too many things to attend to at that particular moment.

Makes ya feel crazy, right?
Yes it does.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You’re sober now and the days are building up fast. You got a promotion at work and you’ve just about made it through one of the toughest years ever here in the USA.

I think you’re doing great Jeff
Old 12-12-2020, 09:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Hello all, I need to make a public apology.

The US nationwide crapstorm that dominated much of the news in 2020 started in my hometown of MInneapolis MN, USA. It was the result of the death of George Floyd by 4 Minneapolis police officers, (allegedly, charges but no convictions at this point). We had riots that destroyed over 500 business, fires, and a death. 24/7 coverage locally and much nationally.

Then the lockdowns started right behind it, and I drank. Again, in classic binge form. Dee reminded me, and that's the truth.

In hindsight, I was kind of scared. No job, spending my retirement money to survive, no prospects of employment, riots ruining my place of birth, and lockdowns destroying close friends businesses and livelihoods.

Honestly, I had completely compartmentalized that and had forgotten about it. It was one of the darkest times in my life and I'm no psychologist but maybe my subconscious buried it?
The thing that concerns me is that you are still blaming external events for picking up that first drink. If you place blame on external events for causing you to drink, it's likely to happen again.One of the things I would ask you is, is there something that would cause for you to pick up that first drink again?
If so, anything can trigger you to take that first drink.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you’re doing well now Jeff!
Old 12-12-2020, 10:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was thinking that you'd made a miscalculation Jeff, but as usual thought it was me got it wrong. Yoe!

So long as you are sober, committed to sobriety that's all that counts.

I agree with the amnesia bit following mass crisis, trauma. ❤️

Happened to me in a different circumstance.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by turniptheheat View Post
The thing that concerns me is that you are still blaming external events for picking up that first drink. If you place blame on external events for causing you to drink, it's likely to happen again.One of the things I would ask you is, is there something that would cause for you to pick up that first drink again?
If so, anything can trigger you to take that first drink.
the simple answer to your question is "yes".