Notices

Psychotic Break Again

Old 12-08-2020, 10:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Sorry you are back in hospital FF, but glad you are still sober. Mammoth job, given what you are going/been through.

It will be interesting to read the articles on relationship between Antabuse and psychosis, but agree to trust your doctors on how best to stabilise you. Did you have episodes pre Antabuse? You say diagnosis bipolar?

How's the Pepsimax going?

On your side FF. This is a difficult road, but not one you won't be able to navigate sober.

Twelve weeks is awesome.
I've had many psychotic episodes pre antabauss. But normally with drugs or alcohol withdrawal.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It sucks that you're back in the hospital but it will be worth it they can get to the bottom of the cause of your seizures. I hope you're feeling better soon!
Old 12-09-2020, 02:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just spoke with the nurse. He says the psychiatrist might prescribe me arivan when I leave the hospital to head off any future psychotic episodes.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Glad they're looking after you. If you mean Ativan, it's a benzo, so be careful as they are very addictive and have long term side effects. I assume all your docs know you are an alcoholic and will be susceptible to addiction. Are you still taking antabuse?

Old 12-09-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Arivan=lorazepam. I tried to get an RX for similar med when I had to travel abroad a few years ago and doc refused because of my addictive tendencies. Be careful and don't be afraid to question things.

You said your previous psychotic episodes were usually associated with withdrawal. You haven't had a drink in over 80 days. I would be discussing that with my doc as well.

Take care

Old 12-09-2020, 09:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm aware ativan is an addictive benzo. I'm thinking I could leave it in the care of a my mother so she would only administer it to prevent a psychotic episodes. She can usually tell when I'm looking like I'll be hospitalized so this could prevent that.

Yes I'm still on the Antabuse.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Do you have to stay on it in order to not drink?

I honestly hope you don't get sucked into a medication spiral. It's so easy for us addicts to do.

Wishing you the best in your efforts.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I ended up in a pysch ward once after a drug and alcohol binge. I was there for about 3 days. It wasn't that bad actually. They gave me some Valium and I either slept or played cards with other patients. In effect, they detoxed me from the booze and I was released. Not the easiest way to get off booze but I preferred it to doing home alone cold turkey.

Hope you get well soon FF
Old 12-10-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
VinBx

So sorry to hear FF. Wishing and hoping your recovery gets easier. Prayers u get better.