Notices

Freaking out

Old 12-07-2020, 10:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Freaking out

I am on day 5 and I have zero appetite. But, then I am pretty certain that this is partially due to my crushing anxiety. It is not unusual for me to not have an appetite for the first 3 MAYBE 4 days but this is longer.
I know to go to the doctor if this continues but I was just curious if anyone else experienced this?
I plan to fully quit this time. I have never had such resolve.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there. I wouldn't say my anxiety was 'crushing' but I certainly suffered with it from day 7 to about day 70. And then my low mood and anxiety slowly evaporated until one day I realised just how anxious I had been!

I do think, from listening to others on here, that there are different levels of anxiety, and I was lucky that mine went with time, good diet and exercise. Other people need more help, so seeing your dr may be a good plan.

Try eating porridge for breakfast. Seriously - give it a go even if it's a couple of spoonfuls. The oats help, you can do it! And exercising as hard as you can safely. Those two things really helped me. And obviously - do not drink. Every day you put between yourself and the booze is a day closer to getting right again
Old 12-07-2020, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anxiety can crush appetite babycat, it has for me lots of times. I'd count it as par for the course, but see your doctor if things don't improve.

It was great to read your closing words, "I've never had such resolve."

You will never regret sobriety babycat. And I'm pretty sure your appetite will improve as you become more comfortable in your decision to quit.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Look at food as the same way you look at brushing your teeth. Think of it as something you just DO, because your body needs it. I've never thought "I don't feel like brushing my teeth tonight", I just do it. Make a nutritious snack and eat it, because you need it. Your appetite will come back sooner or later.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had times when I came back from a relapse hungry and other times I could not eat. Try and tempt yourself with your favourite foods maybe?

D
Old 12-08-2020, 01:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

I have the same problem a lot of time, even with medication. BUT... you will feel better if you eat. It doesn't seem like it but you will. Soup and a sandwich is a magical, comforting meal for me when I feel like anxiety is ruling me. Don't let it win, you can do this!!
Old 12-08-2020, 02:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

I eat less too (1 month sober) but don't worry, your body regulates it unless you are uber skinny (do see your doctor then). Just pay attention to the quality of your food (nutrients) and you'll be fine.

With 0 gym since September and 0 alcohol, I am down to circa 115 lbs now (125 in summer, I lost a lot of muscle) but I know it will change as soon as I get back to working out, it makes me hungry
So trying to work out if you can
Old 12-08-2020, 02:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know that anxiety well. A general sense of impending doom. I can't eat during the first few days either. I can usually stomach a banana or chicken soup. Each day you get better!
Old 12-08-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What are you anxious about Babycat? Might help to talk about it.

Great job on 5 days!
Old 12-08-2020, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

lol I am anxious about the fact that I have no appetite. Kind of a bad loop to be in.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Haha.. good answer.. yes, it's a loop. Please try to eat something to break the loop.. I found when my appetite was diminished that something savory was palatable, and also high calories. Buttered toast with an egg for example. Tons of calories too.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lots of anxiety and no energy for about six months. Anxiety completely goes away in my experience. I worry occasionally now but when I first quit I could talk in a loop about my anxious thoughts.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
lol I am anxious about the fact that I have no appetite. Kind of a bad loop to be in.
Our minds love to obsess don't they? A human body can survive up to two months without food given adequate water intake. Not saying you should try to go 2 months, just saying it might be a little premature to start worrying. Anxiety for me is caused by obsessing over things of which I have no control over. Can you control your appetite? If you can, then by all means continue to obsess. If you can't control it, maybe spend time focused on something you can do. Pick one thing today you would like to accomplish and do that thing. Work on alternate areas of your life. This will remove things to worry about, help self worth and the energy expended might help you gain back your appetite.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, I couldn't take it any longer and I have a doc appointment tomorrow. I am trying my best to stay off Dr Google but I have already spent enough time there to convince myself I have pancreatic cancer, liver failure, and several other ailments. I hate this and I hate waiting.
I am having just horrible visions of the hospital and telling my mom and hating myself for doing this to myself.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Also, thank you all for your replies. They do help me.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had no appetite after i quit drinking, but i would force some chicken noodle soup and mainly drink the broth, i also drank fruit/veggie juices.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Babycat, I'm glad you're seeing the doctor tomorrow for reassurance.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
I had no appetite after i quit drinking, but i would force some chicken noodle soup and mainly drink the broth, i also drank fruit/veggie juices.
May I ask about how long that lasted for you?
Old 12-08-2020, 04:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Anxiety can manifest in different ways, for me if anything I experience increased appetite.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Anxiety can manifest in different ways, for me if anything I experience increased appetite.
Yeah, it does seem like a person either over eats or under eats.