Notices

Damn i want a drink

Old 12-05-2020, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Damn i want a drink

I am obsessing over it, i am not going to, but day 5. I think my 1st relapse was day 5, then my 2nd relapse was 24, and now my 3rd go at it and I'm stuck again on day 5? Wtf? Have i lost my mind? How many times do i want to go thru this? When is the last time? Sorry for the rant, but i think i actually feel better. Made some tea and working on some food.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
I am obsessing over it, i am not going to, but day 5. I think my 1st relapse was day 5, then my 2nd relapse was 24, and now my 3rd go at it and I'm stuck again on day 5? Wtf? Have i lost my mind? How many times do i want to go thru this? When is the last time? Sorry for the rant, but i think i actually feel better. Made some tea and working on some food.
Post till the cows come home if it helps.

We all understand.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some days it as all I could do to get through a day sober - I had to remind myself that that was all I needed to do - get through the day without a drink. It wasn't always graceful, but it was achievable

D
Old 12-05-2020, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys...it has passed, thank God. Watching some netflix and drinking tea, waiting for hubby so i can finish dinner.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I used to have cravings to drink, I would list things I was grateful for. Thinking about positive things steered me away from thinking about drinking. Just get thru today sober. You'll be glad you did when you wake up tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 5 is always rough - the last of the alcohol has left your system and all those brain receptors that were used to being sedated are now extremely sensitive. It's like you turned the gain up on a receiver. Every little thing will stimulate those cells. Noise, irritants, other people, etc.. and your brain knows *exactly* what will take the edge off. So be strong, each day will reduce the stress and anxiety.

Now, what exactly are you obsessing about? I understand your brain and body will be calling out for alcohol, to bring things back into equilibrium. But are you having a mental debate about it? I find that doesn't work for me. The first time I really got sober (for 3+ years) I found it easier to not allow myself to even start thinking about a drink. Because if I do that I will eventually allow my AV to convince me that "just one or two" won't be a problem. Instead, whenever the thought of a drink would come up I dismissed it immediately with the words "Drinking is not an option". You know what? The urge would go away almost immediately. And that is the way I am handling it now and it's not been a problem at all.

Some people suggest to "play the tape through" and all that but for me personally I prefer not to even consider it, and to shut it down immediately. If you allow the thoughts to emerge and begin to debate it you have already lost the battle, because once you do that you are allowing your AV, or Beast, to have a seat at the table. Don't do that! Tell that f*ckr to get lost.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

You're doing great. I spent the first few weeks rocking back and forth in the bathtub each night until the liquor store closed. Magically the cravings disappeared when I knew I no longer had access to alcohol.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think putting up the xmas tree and other traditions might have been a trigger. (Usually drinking) But i know i didn't want to, but my brain said it wanted to. Also found 2 bottles of blanton's (whiskey) in the pantry. Even tho i wanted to, i knew i was not going to, i just wanted the feeling to pass and it felt overwhelming at the moment.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Does that even make sense lol?

Old 12-05-2020, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you poured out the whiskey.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I think putting up the xmas tree and other traditions might have been a trigger. (Usually drinking) But i know i didn't want to, but my brain said it wanted to. Also found 2 bottles of blanton's (whiskey) in the pantry. Even tho i wanted to, i knew i was not going to, i just wanted the feeling to pass and it felt overwhelming at the moment.
Ohhh..Whiskey was my drink of choice. Even after 8 years I wouldn't keep it in the house because it would whisper to me. Did you get rid of it?
Old 12-05-2020, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I hope you poured out the whiskey.
it is not mine, it's my husbands. He still drinks heavily.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Ohhh..Whiskey was my drink of choice. Even after 8 years I wouldn't keep it in the house because it would whisper to me. Did you get rid of it?
not mine to get rid of, my husband is still drinking. I Always did love a good sipping whiskey. Owell, onwards to day 6
Old 12-05-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

it is not mine, it's my husbands. He still drinks heavily.
I've seen women on here get sober with a drinker husband in the house. I was lucky that my husband doesn't drink.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it makes sense. It really is just getting through it and then feeling better and stronger each day. The cravings will ease up. And, the cravings can be sneaky, as you found out putting up the Christmas tree. But, you did it.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

not mine to get rid of, my husband is still drinking. I Always did love a good sipping whiskey. Owell, onwards to day 6
if you find yourself obsessing about it, he can find another place to store it, surely

D
Old 12-05-2020, 09:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I wasn't really obsessing about the whiskey, it was the IDEA of drinking. That's the only reason i knew i wouldn't actually drink.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm so glad the feeling passed Backtogood. That's the good bit. Wouldn't it be terrible if the feeling never went away. Happily, it does. It passes.

Also great to wake next morning and know that you didn't act on a fleeting, but oh so compelling urge. I'm not underplaying the urgency of the compulsion, just so happy it does not last, and gets so much easier with time.

When you start to experience the true benefits of sobriety you'll wonder why you ever placed so much importance on the stuff.

Rock on Day 6.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I want a drink too but that would lead to another and another. It never stops and is never fulfilled. Although it doesn't always feel like it, it is easier not to and ride the cravings out, relentless as they can be. Peace will be restored much sooner without booze.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I want a drink too but that would lead to another and another. It never stops and is never fulfilled. Although it doesn't always feel like it, it is easier not to and ride the cravings out, relentless as they can be. Peace will be restored much sooner without booze.
yeap, one would lead to another, to "just today, I'll stop again 2marrow...to a few weeks or years of insanity. What a roller coaster ride !