Notices

First Time Hardcore Withdrawal Symptom Question

Old 12-02-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Time Hardcore Withdrawal Symptom Question

Hey friends. I’m in the middle of my first serious alcohol withdrawal. Your advice and experiences would be most welcome. I’ve been drinking my whole life, but heavier than ever the last three weeks. I stopped eating and just kept drinking last Wednesday... I mask my severe anxiety with alcohol. I’m at about 96 hours since my last drink and my anxiety is almost unbearable. Trying to force down a little food but I’m weak and scared. Actually went to the ER a couple days ago and they gave me Librium but I notice it only makes the anxiety worse when I wake, if I sleep. My question is will the anxiety gradually subside? Will I get my strength back? Anyone else gone through this? What’s the time frame? Thanks so much.

- Freaked in Oregon
Old 12-02-2020, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi firsttime

I can't speak about the librium cos I've never had it,. but my anxiety did get better in time.
It depends too, if the anxiety is new or if it's a pre-existing thing.

My first 30 days were rough but not unbearable....and things got a little better anxiety wise and energy wise each day.

if you're really scared there'd be no harm going back to the ER for more help?
Old 12-02-2020, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first week is tough, but my anxiety did begin to lessen by the end of the first week. I didn't use librium and I had anxiety long before I began drinking. Don't hesitate to call your doctor or go to an ER if you are worried. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The anxiety will get better with more sober time. It took me a couple weeks at least. But it does get better. If you feel any worse, please do go back to the ER for help. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I already have anxiety, but in the past when I was going through full blown withdrawal it was the worst anxiety of my life. I was convinced I was dying. Mine usually calms down by day 3. I would suggest getting medical help, especially if you're still feeling very weak. I think it would be worth it to get checked out if you can.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My anxiety went away almost immediately on stopping drinking, but that was with the assistance of librium and in a safe environment (psych hospital). I don't wish to trouble you unduly but to have bad anxiety after four days is relatively unusual. How much were you drinking?
Old 12-02-2020, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello, firsttime. Congratulations on your sobriety, and your anxiety will be much better without drinking. I self-medicated with alcohol for many years to help with anxiety and a lot of other issues with serious mental illness, and there is nothing that booze improves. I have had hellish withdrawals before, with visual and audible hallucinations--I thought that I would go insane from fear and anxiety, but every day got a little more bearable than the next, and I continued to see all of the decent, meaningful, sane things that a sober life offers. if you feel worse, please head back to the ER, and I hope that you continue to hang out here and post; SR is a vital part of my recovery--I'll have 5 years on the 23rd, and I still log in every day--it really does help. Wishing you all the best on your sober journey.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Firsttime,

I didn't sleep for over 40 hours the time l quit before my most recent quit...I had horrible anxiety for around 2 - 3 days. After that, it became manageable during the day, but I still had a lot of trouble sleeping, getting only a maybe 3 - 4 hours per night, but was relieved after the first 3 or 4 days that I could at least lie awake at night without the terrible anxiety. The relative relief occured within 96 hours of quitting.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

First, I am glad you found SR, and that you’ve decided to get sober, it is the best decision I’ve ever made for myself. I have always dealt with anxiety and used to think drinking was a way to deal with it, but truthfully I was just more anxious the next day. I did feel quite a bit of anxiety the first week or two, but it started to get better with time. I find going for walks outdoors and mindfulness activities very helpful when I am feeling anxious.

Looking forward to seeing you on here.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this it does suck but will be worth it.

I doubt it’s the Librium that is making it worse. More likely the actually withdrawal and the Librium may have worn off (just a guess not advice)

I have used Librium for detox and was given a strong one off dose at the ER but was given it supervised for a few days after at an outpatient alcohol treatment centre which is where the ER doctor instructed me to go for follow up care the very next day.This was in the uk and not sure where you are but I gather many countries offer these places and services. if not could go and see a GP or return to the ER for another assessment if that is what you have available.Librium is highly addictive so they won’t let you have it for long but i personally found it very helpful for a few days and was monitored on a daily basis.
my withdrawals were pretty bad and I was given the medication and told by the doctor to go home and have a drink before the clinic opened as the medication would wear off before I would be assessed and back in the danger zone. This is not to be taken as advice though as I was told exactly how much, what time and was waiting outside the clinic before they opened as the whole thing was terrifying and very hard to drink just the right amount to stay safe and be coherent enough for an assessment. When you are done with alcohol and are told you have to have another drink it feels like torture as the urge to down it is there.
I’m simply sharing what happened in my case so you can see how important it is to seek individual medical advice as everyone is different how bad the withdrawal is.

withdrawal is painful but it is also dangerous so I would always advise that someone seek medical attention for the whole process until it has ended. if you have to just go alone and tell them you are over anxious and share any concerns you have. Your life is worth so much more than suffering through this and help is available
Old 12-03-2020, 03:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What you are going through is the first step in recovery, and anxiety does occur in this early phase. Anxiety felt to me like I was going insane, a dismal prospect to be sure, but people don't die from anxiety. They only feel like they might. However, there can be a real danger in detox that is physically harmful, and this is where you should seek medical help. See your doctor. Not everyone needs this, but no one here is qualified to decide if you need medical detox or not. I've had no experience with Librium.

Did you talk to your doctor about medical detox?