Notices

What’s in your sobriety toolbox?

Old 12-04-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Currently I love many of the SMART Recovery tools.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I LOVE the toolbox 🧰! I think of mine as a place of peace.

I have so many things in it now - once we admit we are alcoholic we start collecting - I have big things (people i can call, meetings i can attend, therapist i can see) and small things (favorite quotes, poems) - and healthy activities that are good on so many levels (walks, figure skating (paused currently due to covid 😂⛸), meditation, yoga)..... all these things combine and keep me not only sober, but happy and healthy as well!

After a relapse, great time to add some thoughts and actions to put in place next time you have a craving or your AV speaks up. It's always a question of when, not if..... I'm over a year and my AV still tries to mess with me! Make a plan now - what will you do when your AV speaks again? - write it down and keep it with you (i have tons of notes on my phone, so they are always available) - put a plan in place - plans are such an important part of my toolbox.

I always thought my AV was wild and cunning - actually its repetitive and predictable.

Good luck! 💜💙
Old 12-06-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Great thread. Sharing my tips as well.
  • SSRI I am not allowed to drink alcohol now. I know some people still do while on meds but I take my health seriously.
  • Cleaning and arranging my house. I have always been very sloppy, disorganised and just didn't care about trinkets. Now I am undusting and uncluttering my place... And got cushions for the first time in my life
  • Taking quality time with my child. Being present mentally, not just physically. I don't want him to witness anything unclassy. It hasn't happened yet but I know it's a progressive disease so.
  • Cooking whole foods and eating healthy. Dried fruits help a lot (sugar compensation). Green tea as well. I am lucky, I don't like sweets, cakes, ice cream, or anything of the kind. Maybe dark chocolate from time to time.
  • Changing my sheets often. Don't want to ruin my beloved fresh bed with a fluffy body full of booze :P
  • Reading or watching the related documentation. Studying different things including addictions.
  • Local online AA meetings; however I don't go often because very busy with my job/kid, maybe I should look at worldwide meetings when I am available.
  • SR, obviously, thanks, guys
  • Avoiding situations or places that involve alcohol (very easy actually).
  • Saving a lot of money to be able to repair my bathroom, change my entry door, and travel (when allowed again).
  • And back to weights when I can (bloody lockdown), it helped tremendously last time I quit... I want to get back to 18% body fat which is impossible when you drink alcohol because you can't work out properly. I care more about the skin, muscle quality, and overall shape VS scale.
  • POSITIVITY

Old 12-06-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
OX

Added mantra recently to my tools.