Notices

How do you go to AA for the first time?

Old 11-26-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

There is a person that leads the meeting.
At the opening, they might do the following:
1. Say the serenity prayer
2. Read "How It Works"
3. Read The Traditions
4. Ask if there are any newcomers. "Hi, my name is Mitra" is perfectly fine. If you think you are an alcoholic, you can say, "Hi, I'm Mitra, I'm an alcoholic." This part is your choice. Nobody will comment about how you introduce yourself. Tradition in the meetings is that those who identify as alcoholics use the latter introduction technique.
5. Go around the room and everyone introduces themselves. This is same as number 4, but for everyone.
6. Ask if there are any sobriety birthdays.
7. Pick a topic.
8. Open the meeting for people to share.

Meetings vary for how they open, but that's roughly how my meeting opens. On the first day, I just walked in.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Did the AA meeting go well Mitra? Just wondering out loud, no worries

Knowing nothing really about AA, my first few meetings were driven by inquisitiveness mostly. I was in a panic to find my way out of addiction. 2 or 3 meetings you'll get the feel of things. Healthy behavior change starts with action. Small steps count too
Old 11-26-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have just finished my first.....via zoom. Online reduces the barriers to entry. I have always been 'not for me' towards AA. I'm fiddling with zoom and suddenly I'm listening to this guy speaking. Could related to a LOT of that. Suddenly I'm being asked to unmute and 'share' Whch was a, uh, 'challenging' moment.....
So I did....tho not with cam on...not quite ready for that degree of exposure.....just offered a short background to a long drinking history.
Others followed.
Huge variety of different people but I could recognise that I / we had an incredible amount in common. It is, to me, astonishing to see people speaking so openly and genuinely about what for me is my dark and concealed way of living. The people were really genuine.
Chat pops up with a phone number to ring. People offer you advice responding to what you have offered. I found the prayer at the end to be moving.
So.......I stepped out of my comfort zone almost without meaning to ( I was just going to listen for a bit then disappear).....but maybe I have
found something new that could work. Nothing much else is at the moment.
I'm glad I gave it a go. Won't forget it in a hurry.....still processing the experience really.