Notices

Another Day 1 :(

Old 11-24-2020, 12:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi I’m sorry you drunk and I’m sorry that things that the lockdown are getting to you. That’s why I think it’s even more important than ever to stay sober because it would be so easy to lose yourself to oblivion in a world situation like this.

I remember you really did well in the 24/7 AA meeting thing. Even if that’s not going anymore you can drop in to an in-line meeting anywhere anytime. If the pandemic is affecting your mental health there are telehealth counselling opportunities around.

https://www.cbc.ca/life/wellness/how...isis-1.5519397

Did you follow up on any of those links I and others gave you on overeating? I know that was concerning you as well.

The thing is it takes work to stay sober.

I know you were very focused on keeping busy and that’s good, but the fact no one can stay busy permanently can bring us undone. A plan is needed. A plan that kicks in so that when we want to drink we can take another road instead.

it might seem like a lot of work - but drinking like we do is a lot of work too.

I drank for 20 years but I was able to turn things around.

I’m sure that you can too - don’t lose hope..start working for change instead

D

Old 11-24-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If you only drink ~once a month, that sounds very specific. Other than the general lockdown, can you identify anything that tends to precipitate your desire to drink just when it happens? If yes, is it possible to avoid those things and plan something for those times that would help you stay away from the alcohol?

I drank way more frequently than once a month in general and recently, but asking because I am also freshly sober and had an awful, massive urge yesterday, the pattern of which I was already very aware of but always decided to just give in. So yesterday I prepared for it in advance because I knew it would happen, and did a few things when I was in the middle of that miserable, disturbing state (including reaching out to a friend in recovery), which really helped to make a different decision... and like magic, about 4 hours later everything was fine. I am also working on eliminating the factor that triggers these particular types of urges entirely from my life - it will not only help me stay sober but also improve my life in many other ways.

Some people apparently don't believe in triggers and cravings but, for me at least, these are major parts of why I keep failing in spite of all the knowledge and desire in the world to finally beat this thing for good. It takes more work than just telling myself to ignore and not to drink.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi I’m sorry you drunk and I’m sorry that things that the lockdown are getting to you. That’s why I think it’s even more important than ever to stay sober because it would be so easy to lose yourself to oblivion in a world situation like this.

I remember you really did well in the 24/7 AA meeting thing. Even if that’s not going anymore you can drop in to an in-line meeting anywhere anytime. If the pandemic is affecting your mental health there are telehealth counselling opportunities around.

https://www.cbc.ca/life/wellness/how...isis-1.5519397

Did you follow up on any of those links I and others gave you on overeating? I know that was concerning you as well.

The thing is it takes work to stay sober.

I know you were very focused on keeping busy and that’s good, but the fact no one can stay busy permanently can bring us undone. A plan is needed. A plan that kicks in so that when we want to drink we can take another road instead.

it might seem like a lot of work - but drinking like we do is a lot of work too.

I drank for 20 years but I was able to turn things around.

I’m sure that you can too - don’t lose hope..start working for change instead

D
yeah I don't think they are doing the same 24/7 meeting now which is too bad because I really liked that one.
Lockdown is really getting to me. There's no norm. I dont like it. I feel like I have lost my mind.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
If you only drink ~once a month, that sounds very specific. Other than the general lockdown, can you identify anything that tends to precipitate your desire to drink just when it happens? If yes, is it possible to avoid those things and plan something for those times that would help you stay away from the alcohol?

I drank way more frequently than once a month in general and recently, but asking because I am also freshly sober and had an awful, massive urge yesterday, the pattern of which I was already very aware of but always decided to just give in. So yesterday I prepared for it in advance because I knew it would happen, and did a few things when I was in the middle of that miserable, disturbing state (including reaching out to a friend in recovery), which really helped to make a different decision... and like magic, about 4 hours later everything was fine. I am also working on eliminating the factor that triggers these particular types of urges entirely from my life - it will not only help me stay sober but also improve my life in many other ways.

Some people apparently don't believe in triggers and cravings but, for me at least, these are major parts of why I keep failing in spite of all the knowledge and desire in the world to finally beat this thing for good. It takes more work than just telling myself to ignore and not to drink.
I thought I was doing an okay job at distracting myself but clearly not.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sorry you picked up AR, but ....

"Fall down 7 times, get up 8 times." ~ Dee the wise.

I finally got to a point where I KNEW I did not deserve the punishment, and chose Life instead.

You can do this anxiousrock. Alcohol truly sucks for people like me. Looks same for you as well. A bottle of rum in a day is lot, and no judgement, just concern for your liver.

Up we go anxiousrock.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Sorry you picked up AR, but ....

"Fall down 7 times, get up 8 times." ~ Dee the wise.

I finally got to a point where I KNEW I did not deserve the punishment, and chose Life instead.

You can do this anxiousrock. Alcohol truly sucks for people like me. Looks same for you as well. A bottle of rum in a day is lot, and no judgement, just concern for your liver.

Up we go anxiousrock.
yeah well in 24 hours I had the bottle of rum, 2.5 bottles of wine and about 4 beer.
My liver and body hates me right now. I'm sore and tired.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I have found that places like that don't really take me seriously. I binge badly, but only really once a month.
it is disordered drinking, and I am most definitely an alcoholic but I find a lot of places focus more on daily drinkers or those who are physically dependant.
I would have to admit that having been to two and a half rehabs the majority in for alcohol were every day drinkers. Your pattern of drinking however is by no means uncommon among those who go to AA meetings. It is probably a minority but there is a subset of alcoholics who are of the binge drinking type, like yourself.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

My country is doing pretty well but a lot of people are dealing with very stringent lockdowns and are staying sober. Ask them how they do it AR

D
Old 11-24-2020, 05:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Samantha, the most important thing is you keep trying. That is all we can do. I have finally gotten it right but I have relapsed hundreds of times in my 20 or so year drinking career. I am glad you are still here and not giving up.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
Hi Samantha, the most important thing is you keep trying. That is all we can do. I have finally gotten it right but I have relapsed hundreds of times in my 20 or so year drinking career. I am glad you are still here and not giving up.
nope, definitely not ready to give up any time soon!
Old 11-24-2020, 07:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I too have taken to morning drinking. That was my sign it's time to stop. Blotto by noon and unable to go anywhere or do anything around the house. That is not who I want to be.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by lucky1s View Post
I too have taken to morning drinking. That was my sign it's time to stop. Blotto by noon and unable to go anywhere or do anything around the house. That is not who I want to be.
Totally agree.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I truly believe that there is only one good drunk in every alcoholic's life, and that's the one that brings us into AA.
You're here, hopefully that was your one good one.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by ShilohWon View Post
I truly believe that there is only one good drunk in every alcoholic's life, and that's the one that brings us into AA.
You're here, hopefully that was your one good one.
sadly, I have been to AA and on SR for years and still haven't got better I sometimes wonder if maybe I just dont have it in me.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

May I ask, have you worked the steps with a sponsor in AA? Working the steps have me freedom from the obsession of alcohol. I don't know it works but it really does IF you work it

♥️🙏
Old 11-26-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I felt same anxiousrock. Thought I "didn't have it in me". I was wrong.

I don't know if you know the story of my friend who fell from a train, lost his leg and airlifted to hospital in helicopter. Somehow he survived, yet still he continued to drink.

Sometime later whilst in detox a nurse casually said to him, "J. you do not have to do this this to you yourself", and the penny dropped out this very simple and casual statement. He's been sober now for 20 years. He came to know he deserved better.

You don't have to do this to yourself either anxiousrock, none of us do. You are deserving of a good life. Clock up those days one day at a time and watch them grow just as a garden you tend with loving care. 🌹

Old 11-26-2020, 06:49 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Samantha, it’s so blumming annoying and frustrating when we drink and we’d said we wasn’t going to. Exasperating even. I did it for years! It may take your brain and body a while before your feeling ok again. I imagine that’s when the av may start on you.

Having a plan, a ‘sober tool box’ at the ready, so whenever you feel the cravings to drink, your plan will kick in automatically. This takes time to develop but I think of it pretty much like crossing the road.............

We’re taught to wait on the pavement, look right and left, and right again and only when the road is clear should we cross. After a while we don’t need to think of what we need to do to get to the other side of the road safely.........
With practice it comes automatically.....

With the right tools you can learn not to pick up that first drink. It does take time to retrain our brain but it can happen and you can do this. As for your stress with the lockdown, may I ask, have you spoken with your doctor about it? There may be some exercises of the brain and body to help get through these difficult times.

Sending lots of hugs and love. xx You can do this love xx
Old 11-26-2020, 11:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You have it in you, you just have to keep trying and keep learning from your mistakes. I read somewhere that only 10% of people with alcohol problems ever even seek help. That sets you apart from most. Sets us all apart.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by snitch View Post
May I ask, have you worked the steps with a sponsor in AA? Working the steps have me freedom from the obsession of alcohol. I don't know it works but it really does IF you work it

♥️🙏
it is apparently hard here to get a sponsor. I have asked at meetings and actually specifically asked someone (hard for me due to social anxiety), and they shot me down in a VERY rude way saying that they didn't know what i actually wanted out of AA and they don't think they can help me.
I've not asked anyone since then and dont intend to. I've had a couple bad experiences at AA so I don't see myself getting a sponsor.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
You have it in you, you just have to keep trying and keep learning from your mistakes. I read somewhere that only 10% of people with alcohol problems ever even seek help. That sets you apart from most. Sets us all apart.
thank you for saying this.