SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Time to Start My Life (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/450783-time-start-my-life.html)

freedomfries 11-24-2020 12:48 AM

Time to Start My Life

So I'm sober now 68 days. Sobriety is great and all but I haven't really been living. I've been depressed and wallowing a little

Today I might be getting out of hospital after having a seizure. It's time to start properly living my recovered life. If I get out today first thing im doing is going for a run. Ireland's in lockdown now but when that possibly ends next week I'm going to start looking for volunteer work. I'm going back to college next September for final year. Because of my drinking and drugging in college, I'm not really prepared. So I'm going to start revising the 2nd and 3rd year material and preparing my final year project. I have ten months and I'm going to make the best of it

It would be nice to find a bf but I need to lose weight and get fit first, so the diet starts today too. Also going to start yoga and meditation.

sortofhomecomin 11-24-2020 02:46 AM

Well done on the 68 days. I didn't realise you were in Ireland. For some reason (the username, perhaps) I thought you were American. I'm in Ireland also, and not working at present. I am also thinking of doing community employment or volunteer work.

D122y 11-24-2020 03:27 AM

Best wishes on your sober journey.

We get stronger and stronger as the sober days add up, but the crave lurks for life.

It morphs. Don't let it trick you.

I prefer to say "lifestyle change" vs quitting drinking/dieting.

What the difference between a thin person and me? They don't eat much and/or are very active.

Both of my nephews did all of their college online ftmp and are making good money and saving for retirement.

Thanks.

Vincent484 11-24-2020 03:43 AM

Focus on yourself and your health first. A BF isn't going to do anything for you if you aren't feeling good about yourself.

PuckLuck 11-24-2020 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent484 (Post 7546521)
Focus on yourself and your health first. A BF isn't going to do anything for you if you aren't feeling good about yourself.

This. No relationship is going to save you, especially if you aren't right with yourself first. Trust me, I've tried this numerous times while getting sober and it always is a disaster!

Relationships in early sobriety have a 99.9% fail rate. I really do believe this.

freedomfries 11-24-2020 04:49 AM

They've put me on another drip in the hospital. So I might not get out today. :headbange

freedomfries 11-24-2020 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by freedomfries (Post 7546548)
They've put me on another drip in the hospital. So I might not get out today. :headbange

They let me out. :)

PuckLuck 11-24-2020 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by freedomfries (Post 7546700)
They let me out. :)

Good deal!

How long were you in there?

Anna 11-24-2020 08:26 AM

FF, I'm so glad you're able to go home.

Your plan for the next year or so sounds good. You can be well-prepared and have good sober time next year for your final year of college.

freedomfries 11-24-2020 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by PuckLuck (Post 7546703)
Good deal!

How long were you in there?

I went in Saturday so just a short stay.

Much better than the last time. They kept me in for seven days then I had a psychotic episode and had to be transferred to the psych ward for another seven days.

2much2luv 11-24-2020 09:16 AM

Glad you got out!

best wishes with everything. You have some great ideas there.

maybe this isn’t relevant to you, but make sure not to overwhelm yourself with goals. I find if I try to fix every issue with myself at once I can get easily overwhelmed and give up.

Velvetee 11-24-2020 09:23 AM

Go go go!!
https://media1.tenor.com/images/3264...temid=12498539

SoberInCLE 11-24-2020 10:32 AM

Nothing wrong with just enjoying feeling clean - good nights sleep and no hangover. Not drinking each day is a great accomplishment too.

freedomfries 11-24-2020 10:56 AM

Just back from my run. Feel great. The good thing about hospital is it makes you appreciate the freedom of being out. No more putting off going for runs. I'm lucky I'm able to. Will go for another one on Thursday.

MaximusD 11-24-2020 05:25 PM

Hi FF! Congrats! I have also been focusing on health etc and have found it to distance the AV. Look into bodybuilding video on youtube if you haven't already for awesome training and diet tips.

Steely 11-24-2020 05:38 PM

Everything is beautiful.

freedomfries 11-24-2020 09:03 PM

Good morning, sobhoes.

Going to head out for a nice 4km walk shortly. Then brush my teeth and write out a to do list for the day

freedomfries 11-24-2020 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by freedomfries (Post 7547075)
Good morning, sobhoes.

Going to head out for a nice 4km walk shortly. Then brush my teeth and write out a to do list for the day

Oh was too cold for my walk. I turned back after a few hundred metres. Will go later when it's warmer.

Dropsie 11-24-2020 10:19 PM

Good to hear you so positive and your plan sounds great. I don't hear you say much about your parents, and I obviously don't know them, but I wonder if you could include them more in your life. We love you guys so much.

freedomfries 11-24-2020 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dropsie (Post 7547083)
Good to hear you so positive and your plan sounds great. I don't hear you say much about your parents, and I obviously don't know them, but I wonder if you could include them more in your life. We love you guys so much.

I live with them so I see/talk with them every day.