Notices

1st Sober Christmas-It's hard!

Old 11-23-2020, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st Sober Christmas-It's hard!

Over the past 10 years or so I've come to despise Christmas and what it has come to stand for...MATERIALISM! I hate shopping and all the other "required" stuff that goes with it. Even the socializing drains me. The fact that I'm still sober is pretty freaking amazing. I'm going to finish this year, sober, no doubt in my mind. And then it's on to year 2 of this sober life I'm creating.

The ONE THING that is keeping me sober is all the work I've done on REMEMBERING how I've changed. If I didn't do that, it would be forgotten by now and no doubt I would be back to drinking by now.

A co-worker of mine had a major breakdown this morning. Before I quit we always used to talk about how ridiculous our drinking was. She's admitted to me recently that's she's an alcoholic and she's worried now because her liver enzymes are up.

In observing her this morning, I could see the old me...totally unstable. She's in the fog I was in. I wish I could pull her out of it because she is such a terrific person. It saddens me.

And that's all I need to know to stay sober today.

We can all do this!
Old 11-23-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It gets easier every Xmas and NYE. The sober life is a great life and I’ve had lots of joy filled Christmases in recovery. As sad as it is other people are often great reminders as to where alcohol would take us if we forget where we came from and why we’re sober 🙏
Old 11-23-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't think about Christmas or New Years yet. I'll tackle that when I get to it, but it is good to hear that it is possible. <3
Old 11-23-2020, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

To me nowadays Xmas is about family (real or acquired) friends peace and goodwill. It takes all the other stuff out of it.

D
Old 11-23-2020, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The feeling of waking up on Boxing Day sober, guilt free, no remorse, is the best feeling ever. Give it a go, you'll see what I mean.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Xmas was always an excuse for me to drink one day of the year. Alcohol is really hard to give up. Great job.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do this Sober45! It really does get easier with each passing holiday. And like Steely said, waking up sober and clear headed after christmas or nye is the best feeling ever.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much. I’m mostly looking forward to Christmas morning. Every year since I can remember was the same, I’d get smashed Xmas eve and fake it through Xmas morning with a hangover. Then start drinking again around lunch time Xmas day. It makes me sad because I have an 18 year old and she deserved better. This Christmas is for her.