Notices

Today is the day

Old 11-23-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey 2much, you definitely know it won't.

Do something to distract yourself, maybe? Call a friend or family member and just have nice chat with them? Cook a nice meal, eat some cookies, idk, anything to keep you from alcohol.

You'll feel so much better tomorrow morning waking up sober and knowing that you beat a craving back. Each time you do it gets easier.

How are you doing? It's been a few hours since your post.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am doing much better!

I fought through the craving and resisted it and was rewarded with the best evening I’ve had in so long. I did chores and interacted with my kids and was able to eat dinner, which hasn’t been happening lately.

day two almost over and feeling great. Thank you!!
Old 11-23-2020, 09:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

There will be many of those moments. But they do pass.

You might want to check out Urge surfing -- "Urge surfing is a mindfulness technique used to get through an urge without acting on destructive impulses. When you notice an urge rather than fighting against it, imagine you are on a surfboard riding with it. Notice the shifting sensations, how they rise and fall, come and go."

The main thing for me was to realise that as much I may want to drink, to do so is a choice. Once I accepted to my core that each drink would just be another quit, I decided to stop and to never quit my decision.

For me, the fact that the decision was taken, past tense, made me accept that the rest of it was a consequence of the decision. Yes, I want a drink, but I don't drink...

You got this.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you were able to resist the craving!! Dropsie gave some really useful info on urge surfing, which is a technique I use myself. They were able to explain it a little better than I could, though!

Keep checking in here, if you can. Early days are really hard and it's good to have support.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am back to day one. On the plus side I didn’t drink a lot and poured the remainder out last night, so I don’t feel sick today. My resolve is not gone and I don’t feel crippling guilt today. It was a mistake and I am owning that and moving forward. This is a big change for me as I usually wallow in self loathing and pity after messing up, which only hinders my progress. So, regrettably back to day one, but it will be ok. I feel a renewed resolve. It wasn’t even good or fun and I have no desire to drink today. I’m going to spend a portion of today looking at resources and write for down some plans.

thank you for continued support. ❤️
Old 11-25-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you relapsed, 2much2luv, but glad you are back at it so quickly and with a positive attitude. When I finally quit it was all about self love. Negative feelings about ourselves just increases the urge to drink. The more you value yourself, the better your chances of long term sobriety. The road to sobriety has many twists and turns but as long as you keep trying you'll find your way!
Old 11-25-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great decision! Sober has tons of benefits. Lots of triggers around the holidays so you may want to skip some functions or leave early and catch a meeting like AA or Secular Sobriety.