Notices

Sober Mornings

Old 11-21-2020, 05:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Mornings

There's nothing better! No waking up thinking about how much of an idiot I was last night.. I don't have to worry about what I said to who and I am not scared to look at my text messages or bank account. I can even hit the gym before most people even wake up.

I'd love to hear everyone's else thoughts on sober mornings
Old 11-21-2020, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is nothing better! Feeling truly awake and ready to do the day!
Old 11-21-2020, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The best thing about waking up sober today is knowing it is in my power to do the same tomorrow.

It gives me something to work for and look forward to.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BornSurvivor View Post
There's nothing better! No waking up thinking about how much of an idiot I was last night.. I don't have to worry about what I said to who and I am not scared to look at my text messages or bank account. I can even hit the gym before most people even wake up.

I'd love to hear everyone's else thoughts on sober mornings
Yep it's great, especially after a good nights sleep too.
Im just at that point now after nearly 10 days since my last drink. Good sleep has returned, and Its all getting easier.
I know the christmas period ia going to be a real challenge, but for now Im doing alright. It's great having the energy to exercise now too.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Work day mornings use to be about trying to steal every last minute of sleep to recover, then the mad rush to get going. I would be sick and drained before the day even started, only to repeat the same ritual every day after. Now, get up early and make my plan for the day, read news, come here and enjoy my coffee in peace. I call changes like these my quick wins in my early sobriety. I can't wait until the big dividends down the road start paying off too.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

I do like the sober mornings. Normally I can't sleep in anyways but I try to just relax...feed the cat, make some tea, book on tape.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

According to my app I’m at 1 year 10 months and some change. Getting up in the mornings is still amazing.

Sometimes when the night cravings hit, you just have to think about the morning reward instead. Like, instead of looking forward to those after work drinks, you look forward to that morning feeling of success and hopefully well rested!
Old 11-21-2020, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There was nothing worse than the feeling of getting hit by a bus and the anxiety the following morning. Waking up sober and with a clear head is amazing.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Waking up sober, full of gratitude, peace and not feelings of shame, guilt, or hopelessness is a true gift of sobriety! 7am Zoom AA meetings, a great way to set the tone for the day.

Going to the gym and being aligned to true healthy living versus going to the gym with a hangover and thinking that I was living a healthy lifestyle!

One day at a time and living in this present moment, it’s all I can handle, but it works and it is keeping me sober.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sober Mornings have been my main inspiration for sobriety and help getting over urges and triggers. I get up early on my days off and enjoy a cup of coffee, watch the sun rise, and actually appreciate my time with my daughter (she’s 8). We played chess together this morning! It’s easy to notice the big changes. To me, the small changes and appreciations mean more.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Clear headed sober mornings are something I look forward too. THEY ARE A BLESSING!
Old 11-21-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It is truly wonderful, BornSurvivor. I'm so thankful we no longer put ourselves through hell.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love sober mornings...no guilt, no aches and pains, no memory outages but best of all I can enjoy a Proper coffee Without getting the jitters or the yips
Old 11-21-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing better - except maybe sober nights

D
Old 11-21-2020, 11:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I always think it is funny to read threads like this. This is literally something that most people experience as part of normal life When I was drinking daily at my worst the few times a month that I would wake up not hung over felt so foreign. I remember thinking how sad it was that what should be the normal way of life was so abnormal. I will tell you though that waking up with no hangover is one of the best gifts of sobriety.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I’m truly grateful for sober mornings. The horror of waking from blackout and not knowing what I’d done is something I never have to experience ever again as long as I stay sober today 🙏
Old 11-22-2020, 05:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
I always think it is funny to read threads like this. This is literally something that most people experience as part of normal life When I was drinking daily at my worst the few times a month that I would wake up not hung over felt so foreign. I remember thinking how sad it was that what should be the normal way of life was so abnormal. I will tell you though that waking up with no hangover is one of the best gifts of sobriety.
That's a good point. It should make us realize the hell we went through.

At the same time, I've found I have more of an appreciation for simpler things in life now that I've been through this. It doesn't take much to make me happy before i went through my addiction phase I'd classify myself as a whiner at times.. Not anymore! After going through what I went through you won't hear my complain about much anymore.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Waking up sober and feeling good never gets old. No more feeling like death warmed over, no hatting myself and wishing I were dead. Now I wake up happy and ready for the day. The first thing I see is my little dog next to me. That always starts me day off right.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's the best waking up feeling good and having sobriety to thank. You really feel like you can attack life's challenges.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was so tired of feeling nauseous and having anxiety through the roof in the morning. Im at 3 weeks right now. Normalish sleep has returned for the most part.

I hate to admit it but on the weekends I'd pretty much start drinking at 8am or 9am to stop it. Nice to notbhave to go through that hell.