Notices

I'm new here and need support

Old 11-18-2020, 10:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

If you are attending AA meetings, maybe supplement this with reading the big book? You can find the big book at www.silkworth.net (it's also on there in audio format). Listen to xa-speakers.org for speaker meetings (they helped me fall asleep in early recovery.

Those 12 steps saved my life 9 1/2 years ago!
Old 11-18-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome and good job on Day 11.

And, do be proud of yourself for cleaning the kitchen. I also found that doing a little bit every day helped me to feel like I was accomplishing something and moving forward. It was very helpful for my mental health.

The cravings will ease up as time goes by. My suggestion is to come up with some ideas to fill the time when you would have normally been drinking. You can do this!
Yeah, I try to keep myself busy and go to bed early. When drinking I used to go to sleep late at night and this probably wrecked my whole system. Thanks for your support!

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Welcome to SoberRecovery! This is the place to come when those cravings call. Here's some good threads to join:
Thanks, I'll join
Old 11-18-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
30 years older from when i started. I'm not a young
chick anymore....lol However.....

I am healthier, honest and happier than I ever was
when in my alcohol addiction.

All of us in recovery have a day one and from there
we build a sober life one day at a time.

We find someone who is a living example of the sober
life we want to live ourselves. Maybe not exactly the same,
but similar. I went to a heck of a lot of meetings back in
the day, just like many did before i arrived. I listened,
learned, absorbed and applied the lessons so many
were using as a guideline to live by on a daily bases.

From there i went home and incorporated those lessons
in my marriage, my work, personally, emotionally, physically,
spiritually to become the best person I can be today.

I'm no saint and yes i stumble from time to time. I pick
myself up, dust myself off and if i need to go back and
relearn some of those important lessons, i will, so that
i don't make some of those same mistakes again.

Over the years you begin to acquire experiences, strengths
and hopes so that you can share with the new comer like
I am doing here today and like so many did for me and
so on.

Your 11 days sober is an accomplishment. Someone who
wants to get sober will look at you and will want to know how
you did it. They will look to others with more sobriety and
success and be inspired and need guidance and suggestions
on how to get passed the first day sober.

We are all here to help each other achieve sober success.

We need the beginner, just as we need those in the middle
and those with long term completing a ring of support.

You are important to us and we need you.
As Yoda would say, wisdom words you share, dearest friend
I ordered my grocery supplies today and... clean clean food + no booze. This is an accomplishment for real!
Old 11-18-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. 11 days sober is a good start. Now just build on that, one day at a time. Cleaning your house a bit at a time is a good thing.

I am glad you found us and joined us.
Thank you. I already feel better, maybe my meds help. I just need to hang in there

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
If you are attending AA meetings, maybe supplement this with reading the big book? You can find the big book at (it's also on there in audio format). Listen to xa-speakers.org for speaker meetings (they helped me fall asleep in early recovery.

Those 12 steps saved my life 9 1/2 years ago!
I had my first online meditation meeting today, people are so kind... I'll check this out, thanks. I was planning on ordering a few books about recovery as well, there is a huge list, I just need to pick 1 or 2 to start.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Velvetee View Post
Holy Moly, 25 years... I'll be 65 by then
At this point, I just have a daily goal "stay strong". AA are very supportive and nurturing with me, it does give me strength.
I'm just super tired and anxious, hopefully, it gets better soon.
Thanks for this encouraging post!
Yes, 25 is cool, and well worth it. But I will tell you honestly that the more awesome sobriety birthday for me was one year. One month was probably as awesome, but it's long enough ago that I can't compare. At the beginning, those landmarks almost seem like they are unachievable, but when they do happen, you can look back and realize what an accomplishment it was. And if you can do it for one year, you can do it for five and then ten, and so on. Eventually, you're just adding years without keeping track. I've sailed through sobriety birthdays without realizing it until a week later. But the important thing is that you have fun getting better, and for me a good way to describe sobriety is "fun."

Sure, I've had challenges along the way, and you will too, but it's fun knowing that you are going to make it through them. Life isn't always a bowl of cherries, but having the confidence knowing you will handle those bumps like an adult has always been an unusually satisfying experience for me. We don't have to be perfect. I never will be. But watching yourself get better, never seems to get dull.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Yes, 25 is cool, and well worth it. But I will tell you honestly that the more awesome sobriety birthday for me was one year. One month was probably as awesome, but it's long enough ago that I can't compare. At the beginning, those landmarks almost seem like they are unachievable, but when they do happen, you can look back and realize what an accomplishment it was. And if you can do it for one year, you can do it for five and then ten, and so on. Eventually, you're just adding years without keeping track. I've sailed through sobriety birthdays without realizing it until a week later. But the important thing is that you have fun getting better, and for me a good way to describe sobriety is "fun."

Sure, I've had challenges along the way, and you will too, but it's fun knowing that you are going to make it through them. Life isn't always a bowl of cherries, but having the confidence knowing you will handle those bumps like an adult has always been an unusually satisfying experience for me. We don't have to be perfect. I never will be. But watching yourself get better, never seems to get dull.
Thanks for sharing this. 5 months was my max, hopefully, I won't relapse anymore. I do enjoy not having foggy mornings at this point Lifting helped me a lot last time so I am really impatient to see gyms open. This new normal (aka COVID) is super stressful and a true nuisance to my mental health.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Velvetee. At 11 days sober I was filled with anxiety, and very disoriented. Everything changed once I got some sober time behind me. We promise you won't always feel this way. Congratulations on doing this wonderful thing for yourself. It takes courage to let go of it & to learn to live in a new way.

I drank 30 yrs. & now have almost 13 yrs. sober. I give most of the credit to SR. Not feeling alone anymore helped me be brave & determined. You can do it.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Great to meet you, Velvetee. At 11 days sober I was filled with anxiety, and very disoriented. Everything changed once I got some sober time behind me. We promise you won't always feel this way. Congratulations on doing this wonderful thing for yourself. It takes courage to let go of it & to learn to live in a new way.

I drank 30 yrs. & now have almost 13 yrs. sober. I give most of the credit to SR. Not feeling alone anymore helped me be brave & determined. You can do it.
Thank you, Hevyn. 13 years is a great score, I'll be 13 days tomorrow XD
So grateful for your support! Keeps me going.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My laundry is constantly in a pile either waiting to be washed or folded. Sometimes I just buy new socks instead of doing the laundry. That's how much I hate laundry.

In the early days of sobriety, I find going out for a long walk is the most therapeutic activity. I haven't been sober long but I am getting 8 hours sleep every night and walk for 1-2 hours a day. I have been eating plenty of fruit and vegetables and caffeine is my only vice. I feel good and hope to stay this way.

Welcome to the site
Old 11-19-2020, 05:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Welcome
Old 11-20-2020, 04:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
My laundry is constantly in a pile either waiting to be washed or folded. Sometimes I just buy new socks instead of doing the laundry. That's how much I hate laundry.

In the early days of sobriety, I find going out for a long walk is the most therapeutic activity. I haven't been sober long but I am getting 8 hours sleep every night and walk for 1-2 hours a day. I have been eating plenty of fruit and vegetables and caffeine is my only vice. I feel good and hope to stay this way.

Welcome to the site
Thanks! I must have a sock eating monster because I have so many orphan socks I still don't sleep well but hopefully, this will be fixed at one point. We have been locked down so no walking and in general, I am a very socially introverted person, a true hermit. Maybe I need to change my habits...
Old 11-20-2020, 04:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
Welcome
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2020, 03:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks! I must have a sock eating monster because I have so many orphan socks I still don't sleep well but hopefully, this will be fixed at one point. We have been locked down so no walking and in general, I am a very socially introverted person, a true hermit. Maybe I need to change my habits...
The lockdown where you are doesn't allow people to walk outside? What about dogs? That's harsh. My city just went back into full lockdown again today. Liquor stores and cannabis shops are still open as essential businesses though....
Old 11-20-2020, 11:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
The lockdown where you are doesn't allow people to walk outside? What about dogs? That's harsh. My city just went back into full lockdown again today. Liquor stores and cannabis shops are still open as essential businesses though....
Well, individual outdoor exercise, walks with members of my household only or with pets are allowed within 1 km or 0.62 mile of my residence and for no longer than one hour. And I don't particularly like what I have within 1km of my place
LOL, of course, liquor stores and cannabis shops are essential businesses (facepalm). What a topsy-turvy world.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Just a quick hi here, I am almost 6 months sober (minus a few days) and all is good
I haven't been active here since December, nor I attended a lot of AA meetings in the meantime, I didn't/don't feel the need and I have been really busy around.
Kid, job (got a 13% raise), psychology training, repair works at home (I got my entry door replaced and my bathroom will be repainted soon), books, starting another executive training in a business school in a month (90% of my tuition is covered, had to work on this and it takes time).

However, I've been very consistent with my therapy, a lot of things have improved, I am particularly proud of the results it has shown on my excoriation disorder.
I am impatient to get back to the gym, should be in a month or so, I am still fit but lost all the definition and I like the endorphins I get from it.
Hopefully, this little feedback will help those who are struggling to find peace.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:52 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Velvetee! I always love to see people like you, coming here for support at start, using this site and other resources for a while, then just going and living your life with many sober projects and improvements. Hope you can get back to the gym soon. Onwards!
Old 05-03-2021, 05:32 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey there,

I am new here and I am 11d booze sober after a relapse in February 2019 (alcohol-free between August 2018 and February 2019, years of boozing prior to that).
This week, I finally signed my divorce papers (separated in August 2018 after 15 years spent with a hardcore weed addict) and broke off my 16month engagement (my long-distance ex-fiancé turned out to be on a 5y DUI probation and is still struggling with his addiction).
My doctor put me on meds a week ago (benzodiazepine + SSRI) and I joined AA online.
I feel empty and fighting my cravings is energy consuming. How do you cope, guys?
Thanks.
Welcome. I'm also new to the forum and similar to you in terms of past relapses. I'm currently on 7 days and just about getting my sanity back after a very rough week. Just keeping busy is the best thing to do, as you seem to be. I think my main mistake in the past has been that 'I'm fine now - I can have one glass of wine, one beer etc.' That can be true for that day, but the next day it happens again and then it's two, three, 20...
I know now, I can't have ONE drink. Not saying I won't mistake again, of course.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:45 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome velvetee😍
Old 05-03-2021, 06:46 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Great job on your recovery, that's the way to do it Velvetee!

Thanks for coming back and sharing!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:08 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congrats!! I think we might have the same quit date of 11/7/2020.