Notices

Hello everyone

Old 11-10-2020, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone

This is my first post here so I just want to say hello and introduce myself...

I'm a 35 year old male from the UK and I have a steadily worsening drinking problem. I keep going through the perpetual relapse/recovery cycle. I'll have a month off followed by a month of drinking and so on. The worrying thing is that the drinking periods are getting worse. I'll polish off half a bottle of spirits in an hour every night, on the weekend I'll drink all day.

From the outside my life looks pretty good, decent career, long term girlfriend, plenty of money, nice house etc. But in truth my life is far from content, I suffer terribly with anxiety and depression, I lead a life completely controlled by fear, a fear I have constructed. Alcohol is the only thing that quietens the noise in my head... of course it also makes it so much worse in the long run, the viscous cycle of addiction.

I'm glad to have found this place and I look forward to being an active member.

Today is day 1 for me.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR. You'll find great help here.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Pureself - it's so good to have you with us. I felt so much better when I could talk things over with those who understood.
Like you, I thought alcohol was a comforting friend - something to help me feel more at ease. It ended up doing just the opposite.

At 35 you're much younger than I was when I finally decided to quit. Be thankful you have acknowledged there's a problem. I kept insisting I could use willpower to just have a few now and then. That way of thinking led me to complete dependence & every day drinking. This won't happen to you.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You've come to a good place for support and friendship. Stay strong and don't drink. The first week or so can be a bumpy ride but it will get better, a little at a time.

I hope we can help you as much as SR has helped me. Read and post often, especially if you have the urge to drink. Post here instead and we'll try our best to talk you out of it.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome pureself

D
Old 11-10-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

Glad you made the SR scene, PureSelf!
Old 11-10-2020, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pureself,

I can relate to what you wrote and wish that I had quit at 35 years of age, as opposed to 18 years later! I held it together pretty well through the years of suffering and cycles of quitting/relapsing, but towards the end, I needed to self medicate all day, every day to continue to function and keep the self inflicted anxiety at bay. It was no longer a sustainable situation, even though nothing really terrible occurred, it was just a matter of time before something did. I'm very relieved that it is over with now and feel much more comfortable in my skin with 4 months of continuous sobriety.

Good luck in your journey and I hope that you can exit the secret nightmare sooner that I did.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

WELCOME!
This forum has been such a great tool for my sobriety.

I do understand the anxiety and depression. Most of here can relate to those states. My own anxiety was crippling when I was actively drinking. The depressive states were also pretty severe. I just kept feeding my alcoholism and living in a cycle of hell.

I do not experience the anxiety any longer, nor am I depressed. It took me a little more than one week to really start to feel better once I quit drinking. The gift of time.

Addiction is such a ******* bummer. Dealing with it day in and day out is draining and it creates so much chaos. If its not external chaos then its mental and emotional chaos. A person can get real tired of living that way. Recovering from addiction does take real hard work, but the work is 100% worth it.

Please stay with us and continue to post. Its so important to feel happy and content in the life that we are living. You deserve it!
Old 11-11-2020, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Free.

Welcome to SR Pureself.

I sincerely hope you will join us and post regularly.

Wishing you the best in your recovery/sobriety journey.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 11-11-2020, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Pureself.

Many of us here self-medicated with alcohol to manage anxiety/depression. You have come to a great place for support and understanding. There are healthy ways to deal with anxiety and in fact, stopping drinking will probably help to relieve some of your anxiety.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.

It feels good to be in a place where it seems I belong. The real world seems very lonely and it feels like I'm the only person who's struggling (I know that can't be true though)

Day 2 today. I will not drink tonight.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Day 2 - that's wonderful, Pure.
Not feeling alone with this meant everything to me. You are in good company.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, Pureself - good to have you here. You're among folks who understand.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 2 pure self !

Old 11-12-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

HI, PS.
How are you doing?
Old 11-14-2020, 06:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz P View Post
HI, PS.
How are you doing?
I'm doing ok thanks Mizz P. Day 4 today and life is undoubtedly better than when drinking.

I feel very vulnerable to relapse though, I'm not going to lie.

I have walked down the alcohol section of the local shop a couple of times and i feel like I've been very much on the tipping point of buying Booze.

I'm feeling like all of the obvious benefits like improved sleep, lessened anxiety, clearer mind etc are not enough to keep me sober right now but we'll see.

Old 11-14-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pureself View Post
I'm doing ok thanks Mizz P. Day 4 today and life is undoubtedly better than when drinking.

I feel very vulnerable to relapse though, I'm not going to lie.

I have walked down the alcohol section of the local shop a couple of times and i feel like I've been very much on the tipping point of buying Booze.

I'm feeling like all of the obvious benefits like improved sleep, lessened anxiety, clearer mind etc are not enough to keep me sober right now but we'll see.
I was able to talk myself into drinking even though I knew where that was going to lead. Remembering why I stopped has to always be in the forefront.
Its hard to avoid the alcohol aisle in a store. Its everywhere. I hope you stay close and continue to post. Give yourself the gift of time. The idea of drinking or wanting to drink does lessen. You are worth it.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can relate to so much of what you posted. Alcohol starts out as the answer to our anxiety, and over time, creeps in as the cause untll we can't seperate the two. One of the things that really helped me, especially early on in my sobriety, is to avoid romanticizing alcohol at all costs, and not entertaining any thoughts that it was something great I was missing out on. I really believe that was one of the main reasons I was able to finally get some traction in my recovery. When I thought about drinking as a good idea, I said "NO," often out loud. I avoided looking at alcohol in the grocery store, and would walk way out of my way to avoid it as though it was going to attack me! I know it sounds ridiculous, but it did help me to treat it as the threatening poison it is, especially at the beginning. Almost 3 years later, I don't need to do it anymore, but in the early days it definitely saved me. Keep posting, we are here to help!