Notices

3rd Weekend Sober...

Old 11-08-2020, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3rd Weekend Sober...

And the weekends are getting harder!!! I was really coasting through the first 2 but this one has sucked! No drama, just cravings have been unreal!!! BUT! 22 days! Even went inside a restaurant to get food and was offered a drink at the bar on the house since my order was missing... I took a soda and sat in the truck instead!! Phew... I have been leanin on my sober family member a lot but need to be on this forum more like I was apparently!!!!
Old 11-08-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi TJ - I'm sorry you were so challenged this weekend. I think it took me a couple months to stop feeling like I was missing out on the weekends. Even though I was very glad to be sober - I did feel a little sorry for myself at first. It all got better though as time passed. Congrats on your 3rd sober weekend. We're learning to live in a new way & it takes time - but you have so much to be proud of.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 weeks +. Make plans on what you will do next weekend. Maybe delivery on the food. Don't tempt yourself. I am only on day 6 for the umpteenth time. I will be back here for support & encouragement as well. Stay strong.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early sobriety can be a bumpy ride sometimes. Up then down. Enjoy the good days and let them carry you thru the bad days.

Early in my sobriety I was advised to start practicing gratitude every day to strengthen my recovery. It was hard at first but I kept it up and now it's just normal to be grateful. Being grateful makes me happier too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 11-08-2020, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just sharing.....
There are no benefits to heavy drinking. It causes you to put on weight, lessens your mental focus, and makes you more likely to get cancer. It also boosts your odds of injury by accident or violence. One way or another, it plays a part in some 88,000 deaths a year in the U.S.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So good to hear your update TJ. Also congrats for getting through a rough weekend. Not fun.

The hardest for me was being with people with whom I usually drank. In a way the pandemic has made this much easier this year.

Keep the faith and keep checking in here.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

3 weeks is great JoHn - yeah your inner addict might fight back a little, but only cos you have him on the ropes...keep going

D
Old 11-08-2020, 10:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done John. Years of drinking won't be forgotten in a few weeks. Keep at it and don't reignite that fire no matter what.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 22 TJ! Day 23 was one of my lowest but it will get better.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on three weekends sober.

You're going to get times that test you, but remember why you're doing this in the first place. You've always got people to talk to who've been through the same.

Keep up the great work.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! It was a challenge but I made it! I’ve gotta find a way to handle those times better so I don’t bring everyone else in the house down too! LoL
Old 11-09-2020, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Three weeks is great.

During that time it was more just breaking the force of habit for me I think. Didn't know what else to do with myself except drink beer every day.

The intensity of that time passed pretty quickly, so just hold on and it will begin getting much better.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job on three-weeks that's very good!

Remember it won't always be like this. Early sobriety is tough but the reward is so worth it! The cravings will decrease with time just hang in there.

Also, focus on one day at a time. The most important day is today. You got three weeks you can do one day. Keep with that attitude and watch days continue to add up.

Always play the tape forward when you hear that voice telling you to drink. You know it isn't going to end well. Don't let the voice trick you into thinking it's going to be a great time. If you were having such a great time drinking and the consequences that come with that were worth it then you wouldn't be trying to quit in the first place.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on getting thru your third weekend sober! It does get easier with more sober time. Just don't drink, no matter what!