Notices

8 weeks

Old 11-07-2020, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 weeks

Just popped in to keep myself accountable with another week. Will be 2 months this week. 59 days off last year is my longest stretch so a bit excited to be coming into unexplored territory.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 weeks, that’s a huge accomplishment! What have you been doing as part of your recovery Plan?
Old 11-07-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats FC

D
Old 11-07-2020, 09:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ZIP

Very nice! Roll sober...
Old 11-07-2020, 09:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent news FC.

What's your plan to make it different this time? You're soon going to be looking back on 59 days and stretching out into the future, have you approached things differently this time or does it just feel different? I know for me this time round felt COMPLETELY different, it just 'stuck'...but I also did work in slightly different ways too
Old 11-08-2020, 12:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't really have much of a plan besides not drinking.
I play the tape forward so to speak, and I remember the pain caused by my most recent slide into chaos.
I have begun to create different hobbies to entertain myself. I have spent considerable time lately working on my gardens. This provides me with some peace of mind.
I have a weekday routine now, which is something have never done.
I have worked to establish a healthy sleep routine which is very helpful.
Also I have been eating very nutritious food and never allowing my self to be thirsty. I have a drink on hand at all times which definitely helps keep them cravings atleast minimal.
From every piece of sober time in the past I have learnt things.
This time around I have looked very inward and tried to get to know the sober me again. Trying to find ways to recognize and change behaviour that when mixed with alcohol lead to a pit of self pity and hopelessness. It has always ended in drinking to keep the sickness away and stuck.
I am currently free.
So, I probably should do some research making a better plan so any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you’ve got some new hobbies in progress, that sounds like a great plan to me, FC.

I think a big problem with quitting is having all that extra time. Boredom can set in, and drink is then a risk.

You’ll become an even better person with these pursuits, FC. It sounds like you had your last ever drink 8 weeks ago, so accept and be very pleased you’ll never drink again. You’re awesome!
Old 11-08-2020, 01:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 weeks.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations 🙏♥️
Old 11-08-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two months sober!
Old 11-08-2020, 10:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalcall View Post
So, I probably should do some research making a better plan so any advice would be appreciated.
What you are doing sounds good. In a way, it's sort of a plan. If it' works, it's probably enough. If not, you need more. My idea of a plan is:

Accept that you can never drink again.
Be aware of what your triggers are and plan how to avoid those triggers.
Become aware of your alcoholic voice that tells you a drink won't hurt.
Learn to ignore that voice.
Center your life around not drinking.
Made everything else secondary.

All of this requires thoughtful planning of strategies to be in place before they are needed. $hits going to happen and you need to be ready knowing what you are going to do before it happens. I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing what is exactly going to happen. I think you already know what those things are. The question is when those things came up in the past, did you have a plan or an escape route in place to prevent a relapse? This needs to be clearly articulated to yourself now.

This is not about developing a whopping storehouse of will power. It's thought with pre-planning. But that was not some awesome task. There's not that many things I had to be ready for, but I had to think them through and be ready for them.

A regular support group that you get together with frequently can be a big help too. You will have questions about specific things. This is where a group helps a lot.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hadn't thought about this before, and this isn't exactly a plan, but three things that helped me in recovery:

Personal commitment - The importance of this one is self evident.

Information - There's lots of resources about alcoholism, and it's good to know what you are up against,and how you can deal with different issues.

Support - This was big. You can be surrounded by well wishing friends and peers, but there is nothing like having a group that is all in it together.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

8 weeks! That is fabulous, Finalcall. Be proud.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good stuff FC, big congrats. Lots of good advice here. I can testify that it really does just keep getting better and better. Keep it moving and keep in touch.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's awesome, Finalcall! Congrats!
Old 11-08-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 months Finalcall. I find your post outlining what you are doing to stay sober to be very helpful.