Notices

Welcome to Weekenders 06 - 09 November 2020

Old 11-05-2020, 08:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

No, facebook, Woodland Park Zoo...

That looks like the mom; hard to tell. Very cute though.

The baby is sitting with the dad and dad is eating a mango and celery. Didn't that link work?

see if this works...
I can see that picture I just posted, but maybe you have to be logged in to facebook. I don't know. I'm done!
Old 11-05-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

^^ ^^. Oh my, so very cute.

Wow, it is Thursday already. Thanks, Mags, for another great thread.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh they’re brilliant Bim, thanks. It didn’t work for me, I might have done something wrong, I just got topical news at the moment,

Hi Leigh
Old 11-05-2020, 09:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN!

Welcome to Weekenders travelbug!

Thanks for the OP Mags!

Congratulations on Shotgun Forwards and assistant shotgunners.

Now is a great moment to quit, get some sober time in before Xmas and the New Year.

London lived up to its foggy reputation this morning. Pea soup-er.

Old 11-05-2020, 10:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lovely gorilla pics.

Yes go to the zoo Bim, it will do you the world of good. Some risks are worth taking.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Weekenders!

A special call out to Travelbug, Phil71els and Devizes! Keep coming back--it works if you work it!

Thanks for the gorilla pics, Bim!

Marty, have fun with the frame idea! My wife and I paid quite a bit to have some prints we got in Hawaii custom framed.

I guess I'm pressure washing today. We outfit our deck with ramps instead of steps, and it's great because I can wheel a wagon of wood from the woodpile all the way to the woodrack in the living room. But the ramps get really slippery if there is any growth of mildew or moss on them, and I fell yesterday. So I'll try to clean them off today, and also touch up a few spots on my truck.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Very cute scene with the gorillas. Can't tell what they are eating.

A couple of years ago, our steps had become so covered in mildew that on a wet rainy day, you were subject to slip and fall. I scrubbed with deck cleaner and pressure washed the entire porched and steps. Then I stained them with deck treatment, and they looked brand new. They are getting ready for another go of cleaning and treating. Plenty of other things I would rather do.

Old 11-05-2020, 01:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags

I couldn’t find the photo either Bim, thanks for sharing Mags, how gorgeous ❤️

Kaily that’s a beautiful photo, makes me want to go in for a dip. Although I imagine it’s rather cold at the moment....

happy Friday weekenders. I don’t have any particular plans for this weekend yet, so it might be a quiet, relaxing weekend instead of busy, which suits me fine
Old 11-05-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh yea. Talked to one of my customer/friends today. He goes on a trip with several buddies every year and the trip was a couple of weeks ago. He said someone in one of the two cabins had covid and some of them contracted it. Came home and gave it to some of their family members before they knew what was going on. He said that ten cases have resulted from it that he knows of. Him and his oldest daughter have it, and are isolating themselves. Their symptoms are not severe, but he said that he feels very drained of energy. His doctor has him on some antibiotics and vitamins, and he may have said some other meds I don't remember. Sounded like he was doing as well as could be expected I suppose, and none of this buddies were critically ill at the moment.

Definitely reinforces the idea of avoiding groups anyway.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Cheers Mags...I'm in.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

CityBoy, so sorry to hear about your customer/friend; what a way to end a trip; hope that all of them recover well and fully.

This COVID stuff is serious and the numbers are rising at a frightening rate. It is good that we have better ways to treat it now than in the late Winter/Spring. An effective vaccine can’t come too soon.

The family on our street who came down with COVID are still struggling. The wife is recovering rather well but her exhaustion is still over the top. Her husband still has pneumonia and is still hospitalized but he is in the process of being weaned from oxygen and could be home in 7-10 days. His Mom is still on a ventilator and still doing poorly.

Reid, good to see you
Old 11-05-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yo yo yo yo, BABM is up in the heezie!
Old 11-05-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

thanks Mags
Old 11-05-2020, 03:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread Mags and hello to all Weekenders. I've not posted in the thread for a couple of weeks.

I'm sorry that this is a morbid post. My dad died last Friday. I had posted a few weeks ago that he was going into hospital for a hernia operation. Unfortunately due to my dad already being in poor health and quite frail the operation was too much for his body to take. He came home after the operation and seemed fine at first but within a few days he was quite poorly. I phoned an ambulance and he was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with a severe infection which was related to his operation. He was then tested for Covid and was positive. He had to be moved to a Covid ward in the hospital and was put on oxygen. The infection had weakened him and the Covid was just too much for him. His body tried to fight it as much as possible but last Friday he went peacefully.

I'm in a strange limbo at the moment. I'm arranging his funeral and am grieving yet at times I feel a strange calmness, as if this is happening to someone else. He had a long life (he was 86) and had for a number of years been in declining health to the point where he was housebound and even before his operation he was struggling. There's a part of me that wishes he was still here and there's another part of me that keeps saying he was fed up of being unable to do nearly all the things that he enjoyed, was in pain and distress, and is now at peace. Like me he loved walking and in the end he could barely get around the living room.

Today I went to see him in the Chapel Of Rest. He looked so peaceful and, if this makes any sense, looked like my dad but somehow didn't look like my dad. It seemed strangely surreal. It's the first time I've seen a dead body and in advance I didn't know how I'd react but yet again, after the initail shock, I felt strangely calm.

The funeral is next Wednesday. I'd like to think I've done my best so far with the funeral arrangements although it has been very stressful. One important thing is though that not only have I not drank, I've not had any inclination to want to drink. Sadly I did drink two weeks ago when I panicked after realising my dad was not likely to pull through. A five day bender that didn't do me any good. Last Tuesday (27 October) I came to my senses and stopped, pouring what I had left down the sink. I'm glad I stopped when I did as my dad died three days later, and because I was sober, I was able to deal with all that happened that day and all that has happened since.

I apologise if my post brings down the mood of the thread but I really just wanted to post how I am feeling at the moment and to mention why I haven't been posting as much of late. The best thing I can do for my dad is to stay sober this weekend and I'm definitely going to do that.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:08 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Robbie, thanks for sharing. I'm sorry your father died, but it is good that he is no longer in misery and you're not drinking. I guess it's pretty late at night there--I hope you get some good sleep.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for your loss Robbie.
D
Old 11-05-2020, 04:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Robbie, I am so very sorry for your loss. Be kind and gentle with yourself as you navigate your grief. Lean on us as often as you need.

very glad to hear that you have stopped drinking. While grief is never easy and is usually among the most difficult things we undergo in life, it seems that sober grief is resolved more quickly and completely.

Sending love to you.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Very sorry to hear about you loosing your dad Robbie
Old 11-05-2020, 05:08 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Deep sympathy to you, Robbie.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:15 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Sorry Robbie. I had to deal with my father's funeral at a young age and wish I could have a redo. Be sure to lean on others who have done it before. Best wishes.