Notices

Welcome to Weekenders 06 - 09 November 2020

Old 11-11-2020, 11:08 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Evening Weekenders! It was nice to catch up again after having been missing in action for a while. I spent the last two weeks working far from home. Mrs Haddock considered this the perfect time to start a home renovation by replacing the aging floor tiles throughout the house. The dust and rubble render the home uninhabitable, so we are living with my parents. Of course this presents its own challenges. Anyway, I’m still sober and often that is what matters most to me.

Robbie, my sincere condolences on the passing of your dad.

Thanks Kaily and Leigh. All the best with the tornado. Kaily, I’ll have to read up to see how it came that you now have a cute new companion. I hope I didn’t miss anything bad happening to Alfie.

Vman, very nice pic of the stream meandering along the valley. Your vantage point is not dissimilar to that which I was privileged to enjoy a year or so ago, on my last round of golf.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi CaptainHaddock

Leigh, I think the native Americans theory sounds good too. We don’t want the third for you, one number you do not wish to receive.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:31 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

I awoke very early , bad dreams.

I am so grateful I did- there were these 5 minute documentaries on TV about 'things' I did not even know I needed until I was informed.
And just when I was about to change channels, as if they were talking directly to me- they said 'but wait, there's more'...
and there was....apparently I did not need one- but they recommended I accept a second one- ABSOLUTELY FREE!
Plus such amazing time saving literature on how these wonderful products would save me time- so I could devote myself to things that matter. Apparently cooking, cleaning, being outside is timewasting- where I can be spending my time sitting down watching their documentaries.
So much to learn.....
Old 11-11-2020, 12:57 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

You are very clever, PhoenixJ; just one of the reasons we like you so much.

Sorry about your bad dreams, though. Some of my dreams are bad; most are just certifiable.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Did you get free steak knives with them too PJ?
Old 11-11-2020, 01:33 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Willow, many years ago, Shell Gas used to give out drinking glasses with a fill-up; some were clear and some were smoked. The also gave plastic handled steak knives. My mother used to collect them and, when I started so did I. It is amazing how long those items lasted; they were sturdy. Forty years later, I still had some. Freebies. Go figure
Old 11-11-2020, 02:31 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Robbie, my sincere condolences on the passing of your dad.
Thanks. It was dad's funeral today. Covid restrictions apart (I've never been to a funeral service before where everyone had to wear a face mask during the service), everything went as well as can be expected under the circumstances. There were relatives present I hadn't seen for years, in the case of one cousin since the early 1980s. That's the sad thing about funerals, it's nice to see people again but it's now often only at funerals so it's usually in sad circumstances.

It's been an exhausting and at times trying two weeks. It's the first time I've ever had to organise a funeral. During all of this time I've stayed sober. I've not had a drink nor have I even wanted a drink. I know for a fact that had I drank I would never have been able to do all I've had to do over the past couple of weeks. And part of the reason for me staying sober has been down to posting at SR. I honestly don't know if I would have been able to cope with things as much if I hadn't been able to post somewhere where there are people who have the same problem as me. So a big thank you to SR and all who post here.

I want to continue on my sober path. It's not only more beneficial to my health but it's also shown me that I can cope much better with things when sober than when drinking. Tomorrow is a new day and a new Weekenders thread so I thought I'd post this here tonight rather than wait until tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

((((Robbie)))). Your sobriety is a very good thing, especially at this time. It will remain a very good thing in your life; I am so glad that you have found it.

Love your way.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:07 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Well done on all counts Robbie.

Alfie is fine thanks Captain although still very cross about the new arrival. Not sure he is ever going to accept her.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:26 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Robbie, that is a very strong post. So sorry that you had to endure the loss of your dad, but it's great to hear that you've remained present of mind and that you sound positive about remaining sober while moving forward.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:06 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  
Magsie

Robbie, glad the service went well. You reminded me of what my uncle used to say, that we only seemed to see the whole family at funerals.
Also, I’m pleased you found SR. It’s what kept me sober and I love it so much I’ve stayed around.

PJ, you made me chuckle. I love it when your waxing lyrical.

I have a shopping channel on and they have food glorious food, namely cakes too. I looked them up on the internet and they’re only 30 miles down the road. Who knew. Then again Lincoln city does have some gorgeous shops. Think I’m gonna order some mini cakes as a surprise gift for my step-mum.

Kaily, Alfie will come round I’m sure. As long as Candy knows he’s top dog (or lets him be) (Did she end up being Candy or is the jury still out?)
See you later. xx
Old 11-11-2020, 11:39 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...er-2020-a.html (Sober Weekenders - Weekenders 13-16 November 2020)