Notices

How do you sleep?

Old 11-04-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

How do you sleep?

Sober from alcohol over 6 weeks. Eating 95% healthy. Exercise 2-3 times a day. Working 5-8hrs/day.
I decided last week I'm going to stop taking pills to help me sleep and I havent slept well since. I mean not falling asleep until like 2am and maybe getting a few hours.
I thought I'd be able to sleep well but apparently not. Will this go away? I've had issues with sleep in the past but u thought since I've been so active and healthy I'd sleep like a baby!!
Old 11-04-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have never had good sleeping habits. I take ambient & melatonin everynight (even when drinking) I need help sleeping. If I don't get at least 6 hrs I am worthless.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i don’t sleep well.
but it is far far better than the passed-out “sleep” when i was drinking.
and when i wake up in the night, i am not foulmouthed, my heart is not racing, i am not afraid, nor do i feel sick and shaky, ashamed or guilty.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

Okay. Maybe my hopes were too high lol. Maybe I'll just take the pills.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me a few weeks for my sleep to settle into a pattern. The good sleep I get now is due to walking my little dog a lot, and snuggling with her under the blanket as I drift off to sleep. That rocks me to sleep every time, better than any pill I've ever had. Just feeling her warm weight against me and the soft rise and fall of her chest soothes me into a contented slumber.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How do I sleep? I don't unless I take a half of a Lunesta. I will be up till 5-6am without meds. I had sponsors tell me in the past that my body would get tired enough and I would sleep. They said exercise, and read and meditate. That was irresponsible of them to say. They should have said, "They would sleep if they did those things." I was doing almost 20,000 steps a day. I was meditating in the morning and near bed time. I went weeks without sleep, but I was trusting the plan. I now manage my own sleep. I think someday I will be able to sleep normally again, but between getting sober, quitting my antidepressant and my anxiety I would probably die before I'd sleep. It's that bad.

But, as I mentioned, I used to take a whole pill, now I'm down to half a pill. Progress?
Old 11-04-2020, 10:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I got sober I thought I would sleep better also. It has been 34 months now and although my sleep is better I have been getting up after only 5-6 hours. It seems it would be better for me if I could do 7-8 as I am 67 y/o. A friend in AA asked me how my sleep hygiene was. I never considered it that much. When I think about it it is not that good. Doing things like no electronics at least 1 hour before bed, watch what and when I eat, caffeine, etc. Been working on that some but just more habits to change. It is better but certainly not as good as I would like it to be. Good luck....
Old 11-04-2020, 10:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wake up between 4-5 am every morning. Sometimes go back to sleep, sometimes don't.

Im fine with it - I get 5-6 hours a night and if I'm not working then I sleep a bit in the day.I would like more but I believe my body knows best.

PS - I cannot believe nobody has answered this thread: 'Lying Down' 😂
Old 11-04-2020, 10:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I get two or three hours max of sleep, the rest is awake in bed for the rest of the night. I catch up on sleep during the day since I am unemployed.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In the 5-6 hr. range most of the time. I accept it for now but I do at time wish I could sleep like a little kid again.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Badly.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to live on sleeping tablets. I loved anything that knocked me out and being long haul cabin crew for many years gave me the perfect excuse to keep taking them but I'm an addict and get addicted to anything plus the tablets I was taking were strong like zopiclone which I used to buy in India without a prescription. So in the very early days of recovery I swore off of them and instead I bought over the counter sleep aids like nytol or benadryl. But as i said I can get addicted to anything and so ater a couple of months i stopped taking them and my sleep was up and down at first. I usually fell asleep ok but woke at 2am and could be awake for hours but I was just grateful that it was only because my sleep pattern was a bit disrupted and not because I was coming to after drinking. I am not sure how long that went on for, a little while I think but now I sleep like a baby! I go to bed around 10pm and wake naturally about 6am. Beautiful. I love it.

Just my experience.

🙏♥️
Old 11-04-2020, 11:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to live on sleeping tablets. I loved anything that knocked me out and being long haul cabin crew for many years gave me the perfect excuse to keep taking them but I'm an addict and get addicted to anything plus the tablets I was taking were strong like zopiclone which I used to buy in India without a prescription. So in the very early days of recovery I swore off of them and instead I bought over the counter sleep aids like nytol or benadryl. But as i said I can get addicted to anything and so ater a couple of months i stopped taking them and my sleep was up and down at first. I usually fell asleep ok but woke at 2am and could be awake for hours but I was just grateful that it was only because my sleep pattern was a bit disrupted and not because I was coming to after drinking. I am not sure how long that went on for, a little while I think but now I sleep like a baby! I go to bed around 10pm and wake naturally about 6am. Beautiful. I love it.

Just my experience.

🙏♥️
Old 11-05-2020, 03:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't sleep sometimes for72 hours .
I am used to being in hospital watching my brother die .
I can't change pattern .
Old 11-05-2020, 03:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I haven't been a good sleeper since my teens. I sleep 5 - 6 hours a night, and then I'm done.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had sleep troubles before. Its terrible. I went one month without more than 3 hours of sleep a night. I was a wreck. Im not having sleep issues now. This time change is messing with me but I will level off soon.

My own opinion is to talk with your doctor about this. You and your doctor. Some people do require help in some areas and sleep is one of those areas.

May you sleep peacefully soon!
Old 11-05-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
How do I sleep? I don't unless I take a half of a Lunesta. I will be up till 5-6am without meds. I had sponsors tell me in the past that my body would get tired enough and I would sleep. They said exercise, and read and meditate. That was irresponsible of them to say. They should have said, "They would sleep if they did those things." I was doing almost 20,000 steps a day. I was meditating in the morning and near bed time. I went weeks without sleep, but I was trusting the plan. I now manage my own sleep. I think someday I will be able to sleep normally again, but between getting sober, quitting my antidepressant and my anxiety I would probably die before I'd sleep. It's that bad.

But, as I mentioned, I used to take a whole pill, now I'm down to half a pill. Progress?
I'm so glad that you are taking your Lunesta and getting sleep. I think sleep issues, depression issues and certain other issues require advice and help from professionals. I know people "mean well" and all but you were def put on the wrong path with the "mean well" folks. Just echoing what you were saying! I'm in full agreement. Good for you for knowing what's best and managing your sleep!
Old 11-05-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I generally sleep fine, its the waking hours I struggle with.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
I generally sleep fine, its the waking hours I struggle with.
There's always one of em in the bunch, LoL
Old 11-05-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can sleep but not unless I have/do the following:
-White noise-Especially the sound of rain. While lying in bed I imagine myself in a cabin safe and cozy.
-I don't look at the clock EVER...as soon as I look at the clock I get anxious because I'm not asleep yet.
-If I'm having a really hard time, I don't "try" to go to sleep. Instead, I just lie there and say to myself "I'm just going to rest my body and mind" and I try to bring up some calming images.
-Deep breathing-There are tricks you can look up line where you count and deep breathe.
-I eat....I don't sleep well on an empty stomach but too much food and I wake up like I have a mild hangover. A bowl of light cereal does the trick for me.

My daughter uses ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response). I hate it myself but she swears by it. I think a lot of people in her generation are using it.