Notices

My final Day One

Old 11-04-2020, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My final Day One

I've been on the fence with quitting recently. I've been treading lightly with the drinks lately. I go a couple days without a drink, then have a couple light drinks in the evening. After a couple days again with no drinks, I decided to have a couple light drinks last night while watching the election coverage. One thing I noticed is that I didn't really care for the taste of the first sip, at all. And though I finished those couple drinks, I honestly didn't enjoy them.

I recently read "This Naked Mind" by Annie Grace. Maybe that book is part of my newfound feelings on alcohol and realizing I don't truly enjoy it.

I also see what alcohol is doing to my husband. I feel like I'm losing him a little more each day and it's breaking my heart. I won't go further into that discussion. But it's making me realize that in all the time I've tried to quit, and felt like I was losing a friend, alcohol has never been a friend. It's the enemy. It's robbed me (and my husband) of so much over the years and will still be affecting my life in a terrible way even though I'm done with it, personally.

I know I've had many Day Ones. But this truly is my last. That's really all I have to say.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. Starting day 4 here and I know this is last chance territory. If you don't enjoy that first sip that should probaly help right? Just avoid the first drink at all cost is what I am trying to do.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this! Make tomorrow your Day 5 and I'll make it my Day 2.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you'll use the support here to help you get sober for good this time.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, Least.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Teetotaler, you are making a great choice, and you're right that alcohol is not your friend.

Have you read "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp? It's a fantastic memoir which really resonated with me, as far as alcohol being my friend.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Anna. I haven't heard of it, but am going to look it up now. Thank you for the recommendation.

PS I don't know why I'm not getting email notifications of replies, as I have subscribed to my own thread. So, I apologize for the late reply.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tee - I came to the same conclusion years ago. I was just so tired of trying to moderate - tired of insisting it could still be fun & relaxing. It no longer did anything but make me miserable & on edge. I had made grand announcements about quitting in the past, and nothing stuck. The last time, I was ready - and I haven't picked up in nearly 13 yrs. You can do it. Proud of you.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

email notifications can take a while here sometimes.

I'm really glad you've made that decision and that commitment Teetotaler56
Old 11-04-2020, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hevyn, How I can relate to all you posted about the "grand announcements". I've made more than my share. Thank you for the support!

Dee, Thank you also for the support. It means a lot. It's hard to continue coming back to the site announcing another Day 1, so your welcome back is truly appreciated. Oh, and thanks for the tip on the notifications. I just found my notifications in my spam folder and fixed it so they will now go to my inbox.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Teetotaler56 View Post
Hevyn, How I can relate to all you posted about the "grand announcements". I've made more than my share. Thank you for the support!

Dee, Thank you also for the support. It means a lot. It's hard to continue coming back to the site announcing another Day 1, so your welcome back is truly appreciated. Oh, and thanks for the tip on the notifications. I just found my notifications in my spam folder and fixed it so they will now go to my inbox.
As many day 1's as it takes, we will be here. I have had sooo many I cant remember and now I'm over 6 weeks, which is good for me.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today is my day 1 as well

I just hit the 24 hour mark. I have been telling myself, beating myself up and praying that I can quit. Today was my day 1 again. I will be here daily. I know that I can never put the drink to my lips again. It is slowly killing me. Poison. I have ready The Naked Mind several times. I would strongly recommend it.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Travelbug, Congratulations on getting through the first day! We can do it. I'm starting Day 2, so I'm one for giving encouragement, but I KNOW we can. Since you're a praying person you know that one of the fruits of the Spirit God gives us is self-control. Galatians 5:23. We've got this!

I love "The Naked Mind" and plan to re-read all the portions of it that I feel pertain to me. There were a couple chapters that I skipped over, such as the chapter on "social drinking". I've always been a private drinker. Always at home, so I am not wasting time on the parts that I don't apply to me.

The other night when I did have a couple light drinks, I remembered Annie saying to pay attention to see if you really like the taste of the alcohol and I honestly didn't.So why did I have more than one? Beats me. lol I just know I don't want it anymore, but also know the craving will always come calling again, as you know it will, too. When that happens, lets be prepared and also think about what tomorrow will be like if we give in. I know you're like me and don't want to wake up with regret (mentally and physically).

You may have read "Rational Recovery" by Jack Trimpey. If not, it's got good information, too. I think I may have gotten more from "This Naked Mind", or maybe it's a combination of the two that I feel something is finally clicking in my brain. If you haven't read RR yet, you may get something out of it, as well.

Let's shoot for 2 days! Please message anytime you want or need to. I'll get back to you asap. Whatever we do, let's stick to our guns and keep taking a step forward. Let's never go back to that hellish life. We WILL do this!

Old 11-05-2020, 02:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AnxiousRock, Congratulations on 6 weeks! That is wonderful! Very encouraging. Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Teetotaler56 View Post
Hi Travelbug, Congratulations on getting through the first day! We can do it. I'm starting Day 2, so I'm one for giving encouragement, but I KNOW we can. Since you're a praying person you know that one of the fruits of the Spirit God gives us is self-control. Galatians 5:23. We've got this!

I love "The Naked Mind" and plan to re-read all the portions of it that I feel pertain to me. There were a couple chapters that I skipped over, such as the chapter on "social drinking". I've always been a private drinker. Always at home, so I am not wasting time on the parts that I don't apply to me.

The other night when I did have a couple light drinks, I remembered Annie saying to pay attention to see if you really like the taste of the alcohol and I honestly didn't.So why did I have more than one? Beats me. lol I just know I don't want it anymore, but also know the craving will always come calling again, as you know it will, too. When that happens, lets be prepared and also think about what tomorrow will be like if we give in. I know you're like me and don't want to wake up with regret (mentally and physically).

You may have read "Rational Recovery" by Jack Trimpey. If not, it's got good information, too. I think I may have gotten more from "This Naked Mind", or maybe it's a combination of the two that I feel something is finally clicking in my brain. If you haven't read RR yet, you may get something out of it, as well.

Let's shoot for 2 days! Please message anytime you want or need to. I'll get back to you asap. Whatever we do, let's stick to our guns and keep taking a step forward. Let's never go back to that hellish life. We WILL do this!

Good morning. It is early morning here in Kansas City. I was awake before dawn, wee hours. I checked my BP and it was high. Another reason that I am quitting alcohol is to get my health in check. I will check out that book. I need all of the support that I can find.I will stay sober today.

Thank you for your support. I will take you up on messaging.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How is everyone doing?
Old 11-05-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I read her book too. It's a good book. But on its own it would not be enough to keep ME sober. I use AA, many people use other methods, but if you drink like me at all, self-knowledge alone does not stop me from drinking or make me a better and more serene person. I have to do more.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Dropsie, Doing very well. How are you?

Hi BeABetterMan, I understand what you're saying. While I don't mind chatting online, I'm pretty much an introvert and don't think a group setting is the right place for me. I know it's a struggle, and I won't deny I'm a little tempted today, but I've promised TravelBug that I will remain sober today and I'm holding to that promise. A promise not only to TravelBug, but also to myself. Thank you for your comment because I welcome all ideas and suggestions!
Old 11-05-2020, 12:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
I read her book too. It's a good book. But on its own it would not be enough to keep ME sober. I use AA, many people use other methods, but if you drink like me at all, self-knowledge alone does not stop me from drinking or make me a better and more serene person. I have to do more.
Same. For me I have to use a combination of different resources to stay sober. I don't rely on anything alone and that includes AA.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

TT,

Glad to hear you are hanging in.

I made promises to people here that helped get me through the early days.

I kept those promises, and here it is more than 5 years later.

You got this.