Notices

New here

Old 11-03-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi all, am new here. Was sober for 4 months and SO proud of myself, then recently relapsed. Trying again, and determined this time! Going to my first AA meeting this weekend and am also asked my Dr for a good therapist because I know the AA is not enough. Wonder is anyone does any of the online therapy things? Ive been looking at those and finding out that ones that advertise as "free" really aren"t. Maybe for a few days, then $200 a month, that type of thing. Anyway, know my Dr will set me up with a local therapist but was also wondering about the online stuff?
Old 11-03-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Free.

Welcome Catmandue!

The caring support and experienced ‘real talk’ from members here has been a real beacon for me.
I’m glad you checked in with us. I’m happy to be a member here, hope you will come to feel the same way.

Hope you will join us!

Post often.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I'm sure I will! Need all the help I can get!
Old 11-03-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and useful advice here.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Catmandu.

The feeling of pride you had when 4 months sober will return when you return to sobriety.

Hope you find a good therapist. Expensive, I know. As someone said earlier, there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Keep posting.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

I attend AA meetings regularly, and have had a few rounds of therapy. AA helps the most when it comes to dealing with others, but therapy has given me some tips for dealing with stress. Many AA meetings are online right now due to COVID. Here is one link out of thousands (near Seattle, PST, GMT-7h) with a women's meeting starting now and several meetings in a couple hours:

https://eastsideaa.org/meetings/?tsml-type=ONL
Old 11-03-2020, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! Its lovely to have you here xx

Therapy has been really helpful for me and I think it works well online too. I guess it will be trying to find folks in your area, who have had good experiences with services there. Good luck. It's definitely worth trying.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I'd focus on sobriety for the first year or two, then get to therapy. You will go through all kinds of changes the first 5 years of sobriety!!
Old 11-03-2020, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, Cat. I was lost until I found SR - felt all alone & like no one understood. Here you will have encouragement & friendship from those who really get what you're going through. You can do it.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cat, I'm glad you found us and that you're joining our group.

I think, whether therapy is online or in-person, it will just depend on who the therapist is. Some therapists will click with you and others won't, just like with any relationship. I'm glad that your doctor is helping you out with that.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Catmandue
D
Old 11-03-2020, 07:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

Welcome!!
Old 11-03-2020, 08:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Samantha

Welcome!!

Old 11-04-2020, 12:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, it's good to be here!
Old 11-15-2020, 05:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cool Friends?

I'm finding out the hardest part of being sober is feeling lonely. All the friends I had were drinkers. The places we'd meet were bars. When I started working on sobriety, I've heard from NONE of them, which is very hurtful. Even someone I considered my pest friend, that I called and told her what was going on said she'd call me back and never did. My family has been a godsend but I do miss my friends, but what the hell? My family says it probably hits home for them because most of them were about or just as bad as me! Time for some new friends I guess.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Catmandue View Post
I'm finding out the hardest part of being sober is feeling lonely. All the friends I had were drinkers. The places we'd meet were bars. When I started working on sobriety, I've heard from NONE of them, which is very hurtful. Even someone I considered my pest friend, that I called and told her what was going on said she'd call me back and never did. My family has been a godsend but I do miss my friends, but what the hell? My family says it probably hits home for them because most of them were about or just as bad as me! Time for some new friends I guess.
I do understand your hurt over your "friends" and can relate. Its hard to see people leave our lives because we have chosen to get healthy and move away from destructive behaviors. I also think that when we tell people we have a problem they are not sure how to respond. Just keep moving forward. New friends are out there. You can be around people who want the best for you. I have very few real life people who support what I am doing. I also have chosen to keep my sobriety to myself and only tell those that I know will be supportive no matter what. (not saying anything about you. Over the years I've had my share of "fair weather friends")

I know it hurts. Of course it does. Stay close. Keep posting.