Notices

250 days sober

Old 11-02-2020, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

250 days sober

250 days ago I woke up like I did every morning. Hung over so badly I couldn't get out of bed. I was hot and sweaty, my head hurt, I couldn't think straight. When I finally got out of bed I went to the pub and bought a pint...looked at it for ten minutes...and after the first mouthful was sick. Carried on drinking til 7pm when I passed out dead drunk.

I had been a member here for over a year and managed 9 weeks sober in the summer of 2018. But this time it was different.

Since becoming sober coronavirus has locked us down...my wife and I have separated after 20 years married, and we've sorted that out...I've completed a masters and got a new job which starts next week.

But above anything else my mental health has returned to equilibrium. I have good days and bad days, I feel sad a lot, but that's ok. I experience life as it happens and just feel ok about it.

If you are thinking about giving up drinking or have just started that process, take hope from the most hopeless drunk, the one who tried to give up thousands of times. If I can go 250 days without a drink and be HAPPIER and now enjoy not drinking, then anyone can. Literally anyone

I'll be in my guard today but my habits and will
have changed so I don't want to drink. I still keep my eye on the sneaky bastard at all times!!

Old 11-02-2020, 10:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 11-02-2020, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations again on your milestone and on the new job Be

Old 11-02-2020, 11:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks be123 for the post. I'm happy for you.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ugh reading your description of how you felt the last morning you woke up hungover and how you continued to drink that day till black out took me right back !!
I never, ever want yo feel that way again.

Massive congratulations to you. 250 days is awsome 🎊🎊

I was pretty hopeless too. I just couldn't get it. Until my last drunk when I knew I just couldn't go on that way any longer. I had to throw in the towel.

I feel sad sometimes too. Life doesn't stop when we quit the poison. We are humans with a range of emotions. As a drunk I drank on every one of them and basically had to learn at the grand old age of 46 how to cope with them without my old crutch. At 2 and a half years sober I definitely experience more joy and more peace and serenity than in the first year. It keeps getting better and better.

Well done again. You deserve it.

🙏♥️
Old 11-03-2020, 02:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time so far.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
250 days ago I woke up like I did every morning. Hung over so badly I couldn't get out of bed. I was hot and sweaty, my head hurt, I couldn't think straight. When I finally got out of bed I went to the pub and bought a pint...looked at it for ten minutes...and after the first mouthful was sick. Carried on drinking til 7pm when I passed out dead drunk.

I had been a member here for over a year and managed 9 weeks sober in the summer of 2018. But this time it was different.

Since becoming sober coronavirus has locked us down...my wife and I have separated after 20 years married, and we've sorted that out...I've completed a masters and got a new job which starts next week.

But above anything else my mental health has returned to equilibrium. I have good days and bad days, I feel sad a lot, but that's ok. I experience life as it happens and just feel ok about it.

If you are thinking about giving up drinking or have just started that process, take hope from the most hopeless drunk, the one who tried to give up thousands of times. If I can go 250 days without a drink and be HAPPIER and now enjoy not drinking, then anyone can. Literally anyone

I'll be in my guard today but my habits and will
have changed so I don't want to drink. I still keep my eye on the sneaky bastard at all times!!
Yeah it is definitely doable. I feel like active addiction is basically a way of life. Not everyone can escape it but if you have opportunity to you've got to make the most of it. Not everyone does some ppl make one mistake while drinking and it changes their life forever.

That's why it is so important to make most of opportunities to get sober. You never know when you will get the opportunity again.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats, this is awesome!!
Old 11-03-2020, 04:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Also congrats on your sober time! Think about where you were and where you are now! Keep it going! It gets better
Old 11-03-2020, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also “liked” the tale of drinking whilst already hungover. That brings back grim memories. For many this is still a regular occurrence and considered the norm. It’s such a waste of life.

Well done for getting your life back, Be.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's AMAZING well done!!
Old 11-03-2020, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on reaching over 8 months sober! I'm glad you are doing well.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 250 days sober Be
Old 11-03-2020, 04:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

250 days is a long time from where im sitting.
Great job!

Your description of that last day was eye opening for me. I can relate to that.