Notices

I'm a newbie~

Old 10-28-2020, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a newbie~

Hello! Prior to registering for this site I saw there is a professional support group. I have not figured out how to navigate through the site and cannot locate what I am looking for. Can anyone guide me to where I may find this group?
Old 10-28-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As in you are a "professional" and want to speak to other "professionals" in a supportive forum?
You have posted in the Newcomers to sobriety section of SR. I dont know of a "professional" section.

But...I was pretty good at drinking and one could say it was a part time career of sorts......
Old 10-28-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, welcome.

I'll take a shot...we're all professionals and none of us have any professional [counseling] qualifications other than having crossed the line into some sort of addiction.

Maybe you could explain what you're looking for a little more.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just checked there isn't a particular forum named for "professional" support groups. However, there are many here that either are or were professionals as far as career wise, myself included....Remember thou are "identity" is not what we do but who we are as a person...and myself as an alcoholic couldn't start learning who I was as a person until I learned first I was an alcoholic and that I needed to go to any lengths to stop if I was going to lead a happy, productive life.

During my professional career alcohol hindered my performance in many areas.
My career was one of the most important things to me, if not the MOST important.....and alcohol made it very difficult for me to continue to have the stamina I had in business as I got older.

I hope you can find something helpful here..there are not many recovery forums out there that are as active as this one.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thoughts on sobriety today:

I am tired of sobriety and of trying to maintain a healthy attitude amidst the cacophony of uncertainties ready to greet me everyday. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Tired.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

But you have the choice with sobriety. If you drink, the alcohol decides for you. Just think back to what it was like. It wasn’t fun, was it? As for the uncertainties, they’ll be there regardless, but drinking makes one more.

To be honest, I’ve felt like a drink in the last few weeks due to work, Covid and the gloomy weather, but I know alcohol would have me by the balls once again, and life would get way worse.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Erica375

I hear you, Celticdragon. Ordinary life can be a grind, even without a pandemic to deal with. What's going on with you?
Old 10-29-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What was the reason for sobriety in the first place?
It is easy to tell yourself/ myself that what took place with drinking was not all that bad. Memories fade. Time passes and we think that maybe we can control the situation and that we have learned from past behavior.
From my experience, what I told myself was the farthest thing from the truth.
What sort of support do you have in regards to staying sober? AA, Smart Recovery, therapy etc?
Old 10-29-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi, We have no professionals at all on this message board. This is peer-support. You are very welcome here and you will find lots of good information and support.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Celticdragon. I've been on this site for the past 10 months and have read a lot of posts where sober people thinking like you decide to go back out. I have not seen even one situation where the outcome was positive. Instead, when they decided to quit again, it's 10 times harder for most of them to get back to sobriety. I've seen people on here with 7 and 8 years of sobriety seriously struggling with survival all because they decided they could moderate and "a few wont hurt".

Quitting alcohol is really hard and you did it. Please don't be complacent about your tremendous accomplishment. Whatever is going on will pass. You can figure it out SOBER.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by celticdragon View Post
I am tired of sobriety and of trying to maintain a healthy attitude amidst the cacophony of uncertainties ready to greet me everyday. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Tired.
How long a period of sobriety do you have celticdragon? I think most people here face a "cacophony of uncertanties" to some degree or other. Life is not easy for many of us, especially in 2020. The thing is the other alternative is to face those same difficulties with a hangover. I hope you keep at it and can begin to work through some of those difficulties, i'm sure you can.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I've been sober quite a while and infinitely prefer it to my drinking life. I face uncertainties too, but would much rather face them sober.