Notices

Fatigue and muscle cramps, 4 weeks sober

Old 10-25-2020, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fatigue and muscle cramps, 4 weeks sober

Hi,

I am coming back after my 4th hard relapse in the past 4 years. I ended up in hospital after averaging 10-15 pints a day for 5 weeks. Detoxing was very difficult, I experienced DTs and was released after 6 days.

I am still suffering with extreme anxiety and fatigue, my legs feel weak. Brain fog and muscle cramps are also an issue.

In the past I have bounced back so quickly, but this time its so different and diffiult.

I am also dealing with a lot of outside life stressors that would absolutely cause me stress, but I can't help feel the majority of my symptoms are from alcohol and alcohol withdrawal.

Just wondering if anyone else here has experienced anything similar?

Best

Old 10-25-2020, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope you make this your last withdrawal.

Here's a good article about kindling:

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...22-1/25-34.pdf
Old 10-25-2020, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, yes, kindling is something I absolutely deal with, I stopped getting hangovers many years ago and hit withdrawals so quickly.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It became harder for me each and every time I relapsed. Much harder.

The symptoms you describe can be attributed to alcohol withdrawal, but still good idea to see your doctor just to make sure.

Hope to see you continuing to post.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drink more water. Fill up a gallon milk jug in the morning and aim to finish it by night. You'd be shocked how much discomfort is a symptom of not being hydrated enough.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Kindling is real to me. The damage seemed to grow exponentially towards the end of my drinking days.

The main hell was the agoraphobia. I pray I never forget about that. Heart racing was way up there on the bad scale as well.

Don't think I have another relapse in me.

Would rather think that and be wrong, then test it and be right.

Not suicidal, so drinking at this point is off the table.

The main issue is the crave never goes away. So when it ramps up it gets so fatiguing. Especially after 5 years.

There are ways to eliminate it for a long while, but it will always return.

It seems the longer I am sober, the longer the time can go before I crave. Sometimes I don't crave for days, other times it is several times a day.

Addict for life.

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you taking any over the counter pain relievers frequently? I used to develop ulcers when using these too many days in a row. I think I am just allergic so I would consult your doctor.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also have withdrawls now if I ever pick up. It would take a little over two weeks for me for it to all clear up. No cigarette smoking and no caffeine during that time. actually one could use that time to quit cigarette if they smoke, because in my experience I could not smoke one cigarette and not feel my heart about to burst out of my chest. I did use my withdrawal to quit smoking, that is the one positive thing that came out of this thing.
Outside stressors, anxiety and depression for me were mostly related to my past drinking anyways. They were there no denying. They would make me go out and try the old drinking game again, espeacially self pity. Now I use mindfulness to keep watch and capture my thoughts before they lead me down the rabbit whole.
I use both AA and AVRT( addictive voice recognition techinque) as recovery programs.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Check with your doctor if you don’t feel right. Excessive consumption depleted our bodies of basic vitamins and minerals needed for basic functioning and can produce some nasty symptoms. For me, fatigue was huge. This last time it’s taken the better part of 3 months to regain more normal energy levels. I didn’t have cramps but rather muscle and joint pain. Don’t underestimate how hard your body is working to recover and repair. That alone can make you feel exhausted.