Notices

Is anyone else addicted to drinking non-alcoholic liquids?

Old 10-22-2020, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is anyone else addicted to drinking non-alcoholic liquids?

So I recently had a seizure due to my habit of pounding over 10 litres of coke zero and orange squash a day. So I'm trying to reduce my liquids.

Yesterday I tried to drink in moderation but when I added up my liquids at the end of the day I still consumed over 4 litres! I need to get that down to 2litres. So today I'm starting a liquid diary and adding up my liquids as I drink them. So far today I drank 200ml of antabuse and 200ml of coffee. I almost poured out a pint of water to drink while I listened to music but I stopped myself. It's hard to break the habit. I'm just used to always being drinking something.

It'd be a terrible irony if I died from drinking coke zero after getting sober.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe switch to water! I drink a lot of iced tea myself. I'm trying to cut down on artificial sweeteners as best I can but it's tough!
Old 10-23-2020, 12:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Maybe switch to water! I drink a lot of iced tea myself. I'm trying to cut down on artificial sweeteners as best I can but it's tough!
I'm not allowed to drink a lot of water. The seizure was caused by low sodium caused by too much liquid consumption. So even too much water is dangerous!
Old 10-23-2020, 12:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad they got to the bottom of the seizure! Yeah, hyponatremia is a danger but you have to drink a ton except when it's really hot out. Aside from dialing down the amount of liquids maybe you need to get some electrolyte drink powders or drink Powerade Zero.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad they got to the bottom of the seizure! Yeah, hyponatremia is a danger but you have to drink a ton except when it's really hot out. Aside from dialing down the amount of liquids maybe you need to get some electrolyte drink powders or drink Powerade Zero.
Well they think it was caused by too much fluid anyway. I had very low sodium levels from drinking too much and that can cause seizures. I'm getting a brain scan in November so that might reveal something else.

I'm hoping the seizures were just a case of drinking too much liquid because then I won't have any more.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Already up to 700ml at 9:49am from coffee, antabuse and a post-run electrolyte drink. It's going to be hard to keep under 2000ml for the day.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Erica375

Yep. I stopped buying seltzer because I was drinking a case a day, at least. People noticed and commented on it. Now I mostly drink ice water and the lack of bubbles has slowed me down a bit.

After my last blood draw I was told my potassium levels are low. Hmmm. Maybe I should add a sports drink in here or there. I don't like sugary drinks, but I'm getting tired of eating bananas.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was addicted to beer last week, soda and ginger ale this week! Gotta have the carbonation this week!!
Old 10-23-2020, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes: tea, sparkling water and Coke Zero.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

If you could turn those addiction abilities into something that makes money, you would be set.

There are jobs that pay by the hour and pay extra for overtime.

Online work is my go to consideration these days. You could probably be a personal trainer as well. The hours would add up and you stay in shape. I think if personal trainers just worked out with their clients it would be so good for both. My opinion.

Drinking a gallon of water, 4 Liters, a day is impossible for most folks. You could double that easy. Add some healthy flavor, crushed blue berries etc, and you are set.

Turn those addictive juices into a positive.

Thanks.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know I drank a lot in early recovery because I was used to drinking alcohol all day. It was almost like a mania for me at times, but it was relatively easy for me to not drink too much cos the fizzy drinks bloated me.

I’d stick to water if it was me.
Water’s not moreish in the way sodas are, especially the caffeinated ones, sugar or not.

If you’re compulsively drinking so much it’s depleting your sodium levels, it’s odd to me the only direction you’ve been given is try to drink less. Maybe it’s worth raising this with your psychiatrist?
D
Old 10-23-2020, 02:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drink huge amounts of Coke Zero during a sober streak. It does serve as a decent replacement for beer. I can easily drink 4 litres of it a day. The grocery store down the street sells 2 litre bottles for $1 so i can buy in bulk for the price of a Starbucks coffee.

It is not the healthiest option but the lesser evil as opposed to beer.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I drink about 4 litres of sparkling water a day. I don't drink hot drinks or soda so it is all I drink but still aware it's probably too much
Old 10-23-2020, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drink a lot of non caff iced tea with some lemonade mixed in. It’s more sugar than I’d like but still very refreshing, hydrating and natural.

I’m trying hard to break free from caffeinated sodas a d making a little progress.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Samantha

I mostly drink water, a cup of tea a day too. Sometimes a diet coke.
I drink about 75oz water a day.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well when I went to bed yesterday, my liquid diary was at 1850ml so I met my 2000ml goal.

Here's what I drank

Antabuse 200ml
Coffee 200ml
Electrolyte drink 300ml
Water 150ml
Coffee 250ml
water 100ml
Coffee 100ml
Tea 250ml
Milk 300ml

It was hard not to pound a few pints of water but I managed ok. Going to keep up the diary for a week just until I get into the habit of drinking less than 2000ml.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't mind sucking on a fisherman's friend lozenge or 2.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I get through an absurd amount of sparkling water every day but it's better than the alternative.