Notices

Weight Loss?

Old 10-21-2020, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight Loss?

I'm almost 2 months alcohol free, and have noticed that my clothes are loose, and people are saying that I look like I lost weight. This is a great benefit from no drinking. I'm curious as to how much weight you can lose by just stopping drinking alcohol. So if you're drinnking a few beers and a few glasses of wine a day, and then you stop that, how much weight can you lose? Or maybe, how long will you lose weight by just stopping alcohol before you have to start working out to keep the weight loss going.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you're looking and feeling good.

I had to gain some weight when I stopped drinking because I didn't have much appetite during the last of my drinking days. That said, I began an exercise program immediately upon stopping drinking and it helped my mental health as well as physical health.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess you'll find out.

If weight loss happens when you intake fewer calories than you use, and a pound is equivalent to about 3500 calories you could assume that every 3500 calories you cut in alcohol could result in a one pound weight loss but it's a lot more complicated than that.

Like Anna said, many alcoholics come in to recovery malnourished and unhealthy so I would focus on really good nutrition, moderate exercise and 7-9 hours sleep every day and let the weight take care of itself.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

definitely getting better sleep and diet is a lot better. I sleep through the night without waking up, and get up before my alarm goes. off. I ca ntell a big difference as far as that goes.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's night and day for me health/nutrition wise between drinking and being sober. I think your weight will get to where it should be over time. If you are eating well and not taking in extra liquid calories, then you will see the difference x
Old 10-21-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was a wine drinker. I drank about 1-1.5 liters a day. When I quit, I didn't exercise much and I gave myself free reign on food and still I lost about 10 lbs in the first few months. At the same time, I gained on my hips but I think it's actually muscle mass I gained back because they aren't tender anymore. My tummy is much flatter these days. I think I was holding a lot fluid too because the booze was making me swell. Holy God almighty, what was I doing to myself!

Soak it up and revel in it because taking the time to recognize and feel good about being sober is one of our rewards

Old 10-21-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobercoach View Post
I started running a week ago and got a runners high. I wish I knew it did that 20 years ago I would have saved my family $100,000
Runner's high is great. I've been stopping and starting c25k a lot over the last few months. I just started it again this morning on week 1 day 1 and the high I felt after my run was way better than being wasted. I hope to keep up c25k and become a proper runner. I've always been interested in running but I make progress and then drink it away.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

Jealous of those who have lost weight. For me it doesn't work like that but I'm dieting currently and working out 2-3 times a day and it kind of helps.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I lost 25kg (50lbs) but it all depends on how big someone is to start with and any other factors.

I drank on average 4 large cans of beer a day. That’s 1000 calories a day! To cut a long story short and move forward 2 years, I recently ran in a 10km race, and my watch estimates that to be 900 calories. Imagine the huge weight loss benefits of cutting 1000 calories a day.

Alcohol also messes your metabolism. It’s a toxin so your body gets rid of it first.

I’ve posted a few times about the unexpected pleasures of not drinking. You’re in for a treat. Well done

Old 10-21-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm thinking that I was consuming about 1000 calories almost every day via alcohol, so cutting that out and doing nothing else, I would assume, would lead to some pretty good weight loss at least for a few months.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A glass of wine = 120 calories.
5 glasses = 600 calories
600 cal x 7 (A week) = 4200
3500 calories = 1 lb or 2.2kg.
8 weeks x 4200 calories per week = 9.6 lbs or 21 kg !!!!!
Plus, I bet you’re more active nowadays!

during my last sobriety I lost 50lbs
presently, down 7
Old 10-22-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The first 6 months of sobriety I lost around 15 pounds, maybe 20. I was a heavy beer drinker, consuming easily 1200 calories a day in booze alone with little food intake. I also changed my eating habits by mostly eating whole foods, and I started exercising when I too so that helped quite a bit.