Notices

Pray for me

Old 10-20-2020, 11:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post (Pray for me)
Yay!!!! Very happy for you

Don't want to be a downer but how are you feeling about your sobriety?
No desire to drink alcohol!
Hi FF,

Glad you’re out.

How about your answer to this question:

If you are practicing AVRT and you know you will never drink again, what does recognizing a desire to drink or recognizing no desire to drink at any particular moment have anything to do with what YOU actually DRINK?

GT

Old 10-20-2020, 11:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Going to have a nice bottle of non alcoholic white and some cake tonight to celebrate a month sober and my release from hospital. My mother has a bottle of regular white so she'll be joining the celebration.
Hi FF,

That sounds really nice. I’m sure it will be a memorable time for you. That is, if, while you will be drinking your whole bottle, your mother will not drink a whole bottle.

GT
Old 10-20-2020, 11:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Hi FF,

That sounds really nice. I’m sure it will be a memorable time for you. That is, if, while you will be drinking your whole bottle, your mother will not drink a whole bottle.

GT
We're Irish. So a whole bottle isn't so unusual. I enjoy the company of drunk people when I'm sober.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

We're Irish. So a whole bottle isn't so unusual. I enjoy the company of drunk people when I'm sober.
That’s actually a useful trait to have. I have that, too, pretty much from the beginning. Just so the drunk people aren’t too unpredictable and disgusting.

What about my question in the above post?
Old 10-20-2020, 11:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you're safely home, FF. But, to be honest, I think the non-alcoholic wine can be a slippery slope.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi FF,

Glad you’re out.

How about your answer to this question:

If you are practicing AVRT and you know you will never drink again, what does recognizing a desire to drink or recognizing no desire to drink at any particular moment have anything to do with what YOU actually DRINK?

GT
It doesn't.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Going to have a nice bottle of non alcoholic white and some cake tonight to celebrate a month sober and my release from hospital. My mother has a bottle of regular white so she'll be joining the celebration.
Whenever I have non-alcoholic beer, I make sure it is one of the few ZERO percenters. There is zero percent alcoholic wine, so make sure that’s what you’re getting. In the US anything below 0.5% alcohol can be labeled non-alcoholic, that means 5 cubic centimeters of pure alcohol can be in a liter bottle. And you’ve mentioned in the past you are able to drink beverages like a fish. So, if you’re still on Antabuse, be REAL careful. You wouldn’t want to end up in pain.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Whenever I have non-alcoholic beer, I make sure it is one of the few ZERO percenters. There is zero percent alcoholic wine, so make sure that’s what you’re getting. In the US anything below 0.5% alcohol can be labeled non-alcoholic, that means 5 cubic centimeters of pure alcohol can be in a liter bottle. And you’ve mentioned in the past you are able to drink beverages like a fish. So, if you’re still on Antabuse, be REAL careful. You wouldn’t want to end up in pain.
It's definitely 0.0%
Old 10-20-2020, 11:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It's definitely 0.0%
ok, I won’t interrupt you any more, enjoy your party.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Great stuff FF. Definitely cause celebration. Non-alcoholic, of course, wouldn't be a celebration otherwise.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on a month sober and your release from hospital. That is something to celebrate.

It's difficult to explain and I don't want to sound like Eeyore but I would be wary on non-alcoholic wine, beer, whatever. I just think that psychologically it is not stepping away from the world of booze. I know there are people who seem to be OK with it so there is that but do be careful.

Congratulations once again and good luck.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're out, freedomfries!
Old 10-20-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

FF
I've watched many people since getting sober 29 years ago. The ones who have a long term chance don't play with or entertain with any wine, zero percentage or not. IF you are serious about staying sober I'd find another drink. Maybe a soda or tea. Yea, not as exciting but the next day you will have a much better chance of being sober.
I don't play around and even give my wine glass back or place on another table. I don't advertise or come with a long explanation, just move the glass and ask for a soda.
That's one of the things that have helped me string 29 sober years together.

AG

Old 10-20-2020, 04:15 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand that you're out of hospital and you want to have that celebration you put off - but there are better ways to celebrate than with drinks that remind us so much of the bad old days IMO.

Even 0.0% beers can be reinforcing old behaviours.

Be careful man.
Cherish your sober time and that budding recovery
D