Notices

Day 426 - did anyone else feel like this.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Day 426 - did anyone else feel like this.

Hi,

Not posted in a while but have been reading the forum, nearly daily . I am on day 426, drink alot of fizzy drinks, I think this is to get the sugar I lost from quitting.

My question and not looking for any medical advise, does anyone feel worse than when they did drink?

I don't look better(in my opinion) jeans starting to fall off me but not noticing any weight loss in belly.

Still no appetite at dinner time although hungry in mornings and so tired and lethargic all the time(diet is bad) don't know where to start.

I was wondering if anyone else felt or had this after being off alcohol for what seems a long time.

One good thing my liver is completely heald but my cholesterol was high 😂😂

Thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe you can start to cut back on the fizzy drinks, or at least swap out some for no sugar varieties? After a year any sugar ‘lost’ from quitting would no longer be an issue?

Too much sugary pop made me feel listless, kept my belly round, and nearly gave me diabetes.

D
Old 10-19-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Maybe you can start to cut back on the fizzy drinks, or at least swap out some for no sugar varieties? After a year any sugar ‘lost’ from quitting would no longer be an issue?

Too much sugary pop made me feel listless, kept my belly round, and nearly gave me diabetes.

D

Thanks Dee your probally right my drink of choice was high in caffeine so put it down to that.

I think all the issues will be linked to the fizzy juice. Need to cut it out and I will feel better. How you been keeping?

Old 10-19-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m good at the moment thanks
D
Old 10-19-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Switch to fizzy carbonated waters that have zero added sugar or sweeteners. It’s very popular right now with many flavors and way cheaper than booze, and most name brand sodas.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd also suggest cutting out the sugary drinks. See how you feel after a couple months without them.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’ve been having a ton of sugary soda drinks since I quit 9 months ago. Recently my diet went off the rails also. I’m gluten, lactose and caffeine sensitive. I haven’t been exercising much either.

when I go a few days with exercise and eating healthy, I feel so much better. that doesn’t make it easy though. I don’t know about you but I’m ready to get moving on making some changes. the rewards come after the work.

congratulations on your time!

Old 10-19-2020, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm addicted to soda, Dr Pepper in particular, but have found a love for h2oh, it's just carbonated water, zero calories, orange and berry are my favorites. When I binge on Dr Pepper I really feel it for a few days - it's just so good! Needing to be healthier never ends.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe try some fruits or another source of sugar. If you are talking about energy drinks that could be a problem, due to the high levels of caffeine sugar and anything else in that proprietary blend aka a bunch of stuff mixed in lol
Old 10-19-2020, 09:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do you exercise regularly? I find getting outdoors for a walk each day really helps. I am l
always more tired on days that I skip.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was reading old posts, and saw yours about getting the liver results back in 2014. I just got my ultrasound results back about a month ago, and I have a mildly fatty and enlarged liver. I'm 3-4 months sober, and have been going through hell psychologically and physically lately, although things are better today than they were 2 months ago. I've never experienced such long withdrawal symptoms before, and really really want to get back to normal and stay sober. Dealing with a lot of health anxiety lately. I won't forget this horrible experience.

Do you not get enough sleep? Do you just not have much to fill the time and are bored with this sober life? Is the fatigue and lethargy physical or mental you think? Is there anything else bothering you?

Life is boring sometimes, but in a good way. Your health is good, you haven't done any permanent damage to yourself, so you have one less problem to worry about, and life throws enough problems at sober people too. For me, life was always work hard, and when Friday rolls around, spend the next few days going to the bar and getting hammered. It was nice, because I had something to look forward to at the end of the week. What do I do with myself now that I can't drink? I have to figure that out for myself. I'm still recovering, but I hope when I fully heal, I will be able to find productive things to do on my free time that doesn't include alcohol. I've had periods like this before, I would go sober a year here and there, because I was very motivated at the gym for example.

I think you need to find some sort of purpose, or hobby, or something to look forward to that you can spend you free time on. Maybe even something to get excited about? I know easier said then done...
Old 11-01-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Tam.

Sugary drinks are among the worst "foods" so to speak, and they surely contribute to increasing amount of visceral fat (which is inside and tends to accumulate around the waste).

Excessive sugar can make you feel as crappy as it gets. I don't eat added sugar at all but even when I overdo on fruit, next day I feel lethargic, irritated, depressed, hating the world and considering myself a pretty much doomed individual. And my anxiety skyrockets.

I'd suggest to cut soda altogether and switch to just water. It may seem like a drastic measure, but it's not. I plain water seems boring at first, experiment with adding lemon, orange, berries, etc. I used to do ice cubes with berries and pieces of fruit inside. Or add a bit of fruit juuce.

Personally I don't miss soda a bit. If I want this "sparklly" feeling, I just have miineral water.

Once you cut down sugar, you'll feel tons better. Been there)