SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New to this site, but sober over 12 years now (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/450156-new-site-but-sober-over-12-years-now.html)

HappySobrCraftr 10-19-2020 07:52 AM

New to this site, but sober over 12 years now

Hi, Everybody!

I am Landon, a 63 y/o woman, who has been sober almost 13 years now. 11-16-2007 is when I stopped drinking. But, when I did that, I switched over to eating and have been obese for a lot of years. I am working on losing weight now and I go up and down. In learning about how to successfully recover, I found out my life was out of balance. So, that has been my focus, removing the obstacles in my mind to clear the way to get my needs met.

I can't remember the last time I craved alcohol, and I am able to stop the overeating cravings for a few months. I lost 20 lbs, but once the cravings returned, I have gained several pounds back. They seem to be waning, so I look forward to getting more weight off. I see that pattern clearly now and that makes me work harder to get better.

I am glad to be here and looking forward to making friends!

Gabe1980 10-19-2020 09:06 AM

Hi Happy, welcome to SR. Lovely to have you here! 13 years sober is amazing and I am sure you will be able contribute lots to us all that are still in the early days. I think there are a lot of similarities between eating issues and alcoholism. I had eating disorders in my teens and the drinking replaced this over time. I think it is all a way of controlling emotions. There is an eating disorder forum here too, that would be helpful for you :hug:xx

saoutchik 10-19-2020 09:33 AM

Welcome HappySobrCraftr! ~13 years is wonderful. Good luck with the diet.

HappySobrCraftr 10-19-2020 10:25 AM

Gabe1980 and saoutchik, for me, it boiled down to not being able to get important needs met and self-sedating for relief because I did not know how to problem solve.
8 years ago on 10-17-2012, I began to blog about why I overate to begin with. Searching for answers, I learned a lot and am putting together a blog post about that.
I'll post it here on SR once it is ready to go. I hope it helps others how it has helped me.

freedomfries 10-19-2020 10:43 AM

Congrats on 12 years sober. What tips do you have for someone like me with only 32 days?

Best of luck with your diet.

HappySobrCraftr 10-19-2020 11:46 AM

Congratulations on your 32 days!! That's a big question to answer! Are you in meetings or seeing a therapist? Do you have people who are supportive of your sober life? Having support is important, but also you will benefit from looking at what sets off your need to drink or drug or whichever is your form of escape.

What are simple changes or what simple change can you make today that will help you?

Dee74 10-19-2020 02:39 PM

Hello and welcome :)

D

Hevyn 10-19-2020 02:45 PM

Great to meet you, HSC. :) Well done on nearly 13 yrs. of sobriety.
I have the same problem with overeating. I know I'm doing it to pacify myself - need to find the same determination I had when quitting alcohol.
We can do it.

least 10-19-2020 03:17 PM

Welcome to the family and congrats on your sober time! :) I have no help to offer on diets but maybe if you started an exercise program it might help. You could start simple with walking. :)

Reid82 10-19-2020 04:11 PM

Welcome to SR and well done on your sober time so far.

luvchunk 10-19-2020 06:26 PM

Welcome!

fini 10-19-2020 07:34 PM

welcome, HSC, good to have you here.

bandicoot2 10-19-2020 08:33 PM

Hi & Welcome HappySobrCraftr!! Wow, 13 years sober is amazing! Congratulations on your freedom from alcohol and best wishes on your next journey. :grouphug:

HappySobrCraftr 10-20-2020 03:14 AM

What a wonderful Welcome! Thank you, Everyone!!